player2801864

Painting Stormtroopers

I attended a GenCon painting seminar and was told not to use black when you want black. Your eyes can play tricks on you so you can use a 'dark' gray then do a 'black' wash. The speaker used a very dark purple for her black and it looked good. She was able to shade it so it looked even better. So as said above, try a couple of methods and see what you like. You can use Simply Green later to strip off any painting job you don't like. I may shade/color a few different way so there is some variation to my troops.

23 hours ago, Bohemian73 said:

I attended a GenCon painting seminar and was told not to use black when you want black. Your eyes can play tricks on you so you can use a 'dark' gray then do a 'black' wash. The speaker used a very dark purple for her black and it looked good. She was able to shade it so it looked even better. So as said above, try a couple of methods and see what you like. You can use Simply Green later to strip off any painting job you don't like. I may shade/color a few different way so there is some variation to my troops.

I've used stegadon scale green for black before, then washed with nuln oil, highlight with thunderhawk blue, then fenrisian grey. It is a very nice look. Another option for a less saturated look is dark reaper instead of stegadon scale green. The thing with this is it creates more depth in terms of the shading, intead of being so flat and bland. Stormtroopers have that light/dark contrast though, so for me it's gonna be dark reaper or eshin grey , simply cause i'm going for screen accuracy and not a stylistic approach.

I'd prime in a pale grey and then zenithal higlight up to pure white tp get some subtle color variations.

Would highly recommend an airbrush (I hate rattlecans). A cheap lower quality airbrush rig for priming and basecoating probably runs arpund $85.

I feel it's worth the investment even if you don't take airbrushing any farther than priming, basecoat, zenithal higlight, or even sparying shades.