Totengraber

Adepticon Painting Requirement

Adepticon has an overall rule saying all minis for all events need to be painted (with obvious effort) with at least 3 colors unless the event says otherwise. Are the Runewars events abiding by this requirement?

Well, my minis are all primed white and I can throw green in their bases for grass. I’m at 2/3. I’ll splash just some color on their faces and call it good. 

But seriously, FFG provides a (token) method for determining who’s units are who’s. AFAIK, the GW rule was always to make armies distinguishable. That or to be pretentious. So that requirement doesn’t really apply here. I know for certain that some of the Madison players coming do not have painted armies. 

34 minutes ago, Xelto said:

This is Games Workshop we're talking about. It's to be pretentious. 

Considering this is an Adepticon policy, how exactly are we talking about GW?

It's an Adepticon policy, i'd ask them or drop an email to FFG OP.

Last I heard, they don't enforce it as strictly as they used to. Adepticon used to basically be a GW convention. They have obviously expanded since. I live in the area. It's been awesome to see FFG partner with them and help grow their base. Two 128 person Destiny events sold out at a minis convention. Crazy.

Eh. I ntended to have my army painted by then anyway. I’ll make sure the local guys set a minimum standard for armies by then. There may be some primed white, brown based Uthuk with racing stripes, but we will have a clear attempt at an army

Edited by Church14

I’ve always played with painted minis.  I personally dislike seeing unpainted or minimally painted armies on the table.  That said, it’s a barrier to entry so you have to be sensible about these things.

1 hour ago, coldsteel said:

it's a fricking pride thing. Have pride in your army. Paint your minis.

I didn’t get the pride thing until I started painting my minis. Now, I love the look of my Waiqar so much more than my Uthuk (Uthuk painting isn’t done), it makes me want to run Waiqar more. 

Then I remember that the sin the Waiqar embrace is Sloth, and I put them away and grab my Uthuk and have some fun with Wrath. 

I mean, in Waiqar’s defense, the dead don’t give a **** if it takes a day or ten years to reach their target and win. 

But I would find a sloth skeleton monster an interesting siege unit. Rolls 4 red dice but it’s melee attack is initiative 7

2 hours ago, Church14 said:

But I would find a sloth skeleton monster an interesting siege unit. Rolls 4 red dice but it’s melee attack is initiative 7

The problem is that it's only march is a march-1 at initiative 9, and its turn modifier is -1. They need a marching drummer just to be able to move in a not-straight line.

I think the goal should always be to paint your miniatures so you can play games with fully-painted miniatures. However, as mentioned above, you want to have pride in your army. Life is busy and some people have every intention of painting their miniatures, but it takes a while to do it in a way that makes them proud. When a tournament comes up requiring painted figures, you don't want that deadline dictating the amount of attention you give your minis when painting them.

I'm already painting 40k and Dark Age. I won't have the time to put in the last bit I need to also finish RW. Also, a friend who just bought in was wondering about the policy.

I know about pride in a painted army. Been in the hobby a long time. Sometimes there isn't enough time.