Synthetix

Xwing gamespace (ie.. what's missing or overused)

Not sure if this has been laid out before. Most of us keep these in our heads, but I've only ever heard single statements of X faction needs Y ship. Thought I'd put it all down and see whats been used and whats missing.

(greyed space = unused)

bE5rIT1.png

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OGmw5Xkxz7xVs_nwg4u98QG64sG2O7bUeS5NDH9gOzU/edit?usp=sharing

FFG have stated they will likely never do another 1 attack ship again and obviously 3/4 is pretty OP without some crazy new mechanic to offset it.

What would you like to see in the coming waves and how would you make some of these awkward values work for ships?

Q9ptyQi.png

zatGune.png

zYWbaRz.png

Edited by Synthetix
image replacement

10 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

If I'm reading this right (attack/defence), then both the K-Wing and the Y-Wing should be in the 2/1 column?

edit:  and the StarViper is listed as both 3/1 and 3/3.

yep.. corrected. should have known better than to tackle this late at night

I'd be surprised if we don't see a Scum 4 attack ship soon, and if we don't see a Scum 0 agility ship soon.  Otherwise, I thnk pretty much all of the state space is occupied, and we'll see variation in other areas.

I very much doubt we'll ever see a native 4 agility ship.  If we do, I'd guarantee it won't have native Boost.

I very much doubt we'll ever see another 1 attack ship, or a 5 attack ship.

Anything else is probably fair game.

10 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

I'd be surprised if we don't see a Scum 4 attack ship soon, and if we don't see a Scum 0 agility ship soon.  Otherwise, I thnk pretty much all of the state space is occupied, and we'll see variation in other areas.

I very much doubt we'll ever see a native 4 agility ship.  If we do, I'd guarantee it won't have native Boost.

I very much doubt we'll ever see another 1 attack ship, or a 5 attack ship.

Anything else is probably fair game.

I think a 1 attack ship that either has good secondary weapons or is meant for purely support could be a thing.  For example, the GR-75 is great and is has no attack at all.

But agreed, 4 Agi should never be a thing as standard.  As a crazy prototype, maybe.  Or a droid ship that's all Agi, 1 Hull.

38 minutes ago, Wiredin said:

I still think the new A-Wing should be 2/4 when it releases. because why not?

Because with Stealth Device it's 2/5, and that's bat **** crazy.

I'd also be curious to see this in the Hull/Shields department.  Wadda ya say, @Synthetix?

Edited by Darth Meanie

9 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

I think a 1 attack ship that either has good secondary weapons or is meant for purely support could be a thing.  For example, the GR-75 is great and is has no attack at all.

But agreed, 4 Agi should never be a thing as standard.  As a crazy prototype, maybe.  Or a droid ship that's all Agi, 1 Hull.

Because with Stealth Device it's 2/5, and that's bat **** crazy.

I'd also be curious to see this in the Hull/Shields department.  Wadda ya say, @Synthetix?

was thinking about that earlier as well.. hit points obviously play into defining a ship with respect to a give category or definition.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:54 AM, Synthetix said:

As asked for, here's some comparison of all 4 stats. Doesn't show whats missing from the game as well. But might show some pattern/roles to fill per faction.

Is there an organizational priority to the graph?

It would be interesting to see it scaled

Low to High Attack (primary organization)

then 

Low to High HP (secondary suborganization)

with priority given to shields over hull.

It looks like scum wins with the most 3 attack ships, but they have no 4s.

And the ghost is the biggest bar of all, so the ship with the most attack and life points.  Supporting the theory that green dice don't matter much.

Edited by Darth Meanie
deleted graphs so only the best ones are in thread

16 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

then 

This, would make comparison easier.

But good work, Synthetix.

As for what's missing. Hopefully we do not get a 5 attack or 4 defense ship (we have enough power and dial creep already). Albeit Empire's theme is mostly-hypermobile-glass-cannon vs Rebel's theme somewhat-sluggish-tanky/high-HP-customisable, is Empire now getting another heavy 3/1 (Reaper, even a good support ship), so Rebels could use a buff for the non Corran E-Wing or another new 3/3 ship.

Interesting concept for B-wing (and similar heavy fighters) and Hwk (and similar supports) could have been giving them 0 attack value, but a discount on cannons resp turrets.

Pertaining this discussion: I have updated my pilot skill histograms. Excluding Tie Reaper (Epts unknown) and Partisan Pack (unclear number of pilots, possible untrustworthy pic).

All pilots (arranged after PS, factions left. to the right total, and faction-wise corrected for number of pilots, thus a quotient):

uAPNCdU.png

Only pilots with EPT:

cDG8Sxn.png

And a timeline faction split (TFAs Resistance/FO vs OTs Rebel Alliance/Galactic Empire; excluding S&V as they only have the Quadjumper in TFA era):

5welVSQ.png

Earlier was a pattern of Empire having higher PS, Rebels having slighly lower and somewhat more even PS groupings (2/4/6/8), S&V more often lower PS, odd PS (1,3,5,7) and more EPTs among their pilots and even lower ranks (customisation even for pilots, representing individuals non military, but often informal or autodidact trained, fighting for their own mostly for money, mostly no orderly military organisation). The overall picture is fuzzier now, but Empire still has higher PS and most EPT carriers on less customisable ships.

One thought I have always had is that a new ship might be very similar to an existing ship, but then fill in the missing PS holes of the original ship.  Kinda "cheating" I guess, and likely irrelevant is today's "PS-less" meta (as in "high or die"), but an option for close-but-not-quite ships.

I think that 4 agility is pretty doable, but only if the ship its on has two of the following:
1. A shoddy dial. T-65 X-wing bad, to make both PTL and VI less desirable.
2. Doesn't have the evade action, to avoid it being another token stacking ace.
3. Doesn't have a native boost icon, to prevent it being yet another autothrusters, double-repositioning ace.

Any two of these will make it fair game.

I mean, thanks to Cloak and Stealth Device, we can see what 4 AGI is like fairly well, I'd say it could be doable (especially due to the weaknesses inherent in green dice) but it would need VERY strict design yes. 

On 3/2/2018 at 9:46 AM, Darth Meanie said:

then 

It looks like scum wins with the most 3 attack ships, but they have no 4s.

And the ghost is the biggest bar of all, so the ship with the most attack and life points.  Supporting the theory that green dice don't matter much.

On 3/3/2018 at 3:14 AM, Managarmr said:

This, would make comparison easier.

Updated original graph images with suggested sort by. Does make it a bit easier to distinguish ship roles.

2 hours ago, Synthetix said:

Updated original graph images with suggested sort by. Does make it a bit easier to distinguish ship roles.

That is kick ***.

I dare say that what Scum has going for it is consistency.  2 or 3 dice for attack, and a decent number of HP.  There are really no "outliers."

Empire is weak on attack, and Rebels have plenty of shield HP (the best kind).

Edited by Darth Meanie

On 3/3/2018 at 6:36 PM, UnitOmega said:

I mean, thanks to Cloak and Stealth Device, we can see what 4 AGI is like fairly well, I'd say it could be doable (especially due to the weaknesses inherent in green dice) but it would need VERY strict design yes. 

Some serious flaws in that argument.  Give whisper ps11 and see how it feels.

1 minute ago, UnitOmega said:

Gee, I wonder what "VERY strict design" means.

Gee, I didn't know whisper was always cloaked when shot at so we can test this theory.