Velvetelvis

Gold squadron REALLY set a new standard for getting better at xwing

I enjoyed watching it too. I wonder how the longevity of this will work when I'm assuming they'll only be able to pull players from there local area. Maybe expand this into Vassal somehow? It would sound cool at first to implement it into the events GSP streams for, but that might be too much of a distraction for the players that just want to focus on the game.

Edited by RStan

3 minutes ago, RStan said:

I enjoyed watching it too. I wonder how the longevity of this will work when I'm assuming they'll only be able to pull players from there local area. Maybe expand this into Vassal somehow? It would sound cool at first to implement it into the events GSP streams for, but that might be too much of a distraction for the players that just want to focus on the game.

It may be the inverse for some- If I could think out loud for an entire game without my opponent getting a benefit from it, I'd jump on that.

Dion- If you are reading this, please bring the setup to Adepticon.

As for Vassal, OCX did the Poor Mans Version of this- Chico hopped on vassal and recorded himself. Only one side, but still.

Edited by Kaptin Krunch
krayts on top

9 hours ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

As for Vassal, OCX did the Poor Mans Version of this- Chico hopped on vassal and recorded himself. Only one side, but still.

I mean in theory if the other player just also recorded their voice then that could be setup. It would probably be better to be released in 2 versions, one for each player's recorded voice. @Killerardvark should we attempt this next time? Just use Audacity to record on the other end?

Edited by RStan

This is a great tool for new players too. Shared it with our group (most of us all started playing about a year ago) and they enjoyed it quite a bit.  I know the first episode will be Dion ironing out the glitches, but looking forward to more. (maybe less chewing gum and get the lists on the right side next time) Still, great job and his opponent was very funny.

3 hours ago, RStan said:

I mean in theory if the other player just also recorded their voice then that could be setup. It would probably be better to be released in 2 versions, one for each player's recorded voice. @Killerardvark should we attempt this next time? Just use Audacity to record on the other end?

First of all, I really like Dion's version. Getting both sides is definitely something of value, and seeing a real game aside from just vassal is always more fun.

I think the part it misses that I'm able to obtain on the vassal version is that I can point and draw on the screen to show the things I'm talking about. Then I just chit chat about things during down time. In person, you're a bit stuck to vocals only as hand gestures are still visible to your opponent.

Ryan, the extra audio would be cool if done right. I think with the way I do my side, i'm super talkative to eliminate as much dead air as possible. Not sure how knowing a second person could be talking would affect that.

The last and biggest hurdle for me would be video/audio editing. I'm pretty good at mashing MP3s together or recording what I'm doing on the screen, but adding audio to a video post recording is beyond what I'm currently capable of doing. Video editing is a whole other level. I'm always impressed by what other groups can do. Even something as simple as Dion's gold squadron logo splash seems so far beyond simple.

Great job Dion I enjoyed it and this a great tool for helping others ask the right questions and see the outcome. I try and practice by talking out the possible outcomes and going back and redoing different setups when possible.

It would be cool if you could find a way to get a bigger pool or mabye some "xwing Famous" people on.  I did enjoy Chico's but like everyone else said it was just the one side.

Keep up the great work and thank you.

My only quarm about this is the game chosen was kinda light on options imo.

If i was operating my Deathboats list while commentating my thoughts you wouldnt hear me shut up. Not even joking either, i have to constantly factor things in because AdvSensor deathrain and doublegunboats have SO MANY OPTIONS its ridiculous lol.

This one had a lot of dead space where the player didnt say anything, since fat turret + 1 list doesnt take much thought other than "I gotta kill that guy first..." and "Can i block and get away with it?"

33 minutes ago, Quadjumper King said:

I absolutely love this series and eagerly await the next episode.

hearing the players thought processes was enlightening into how they saw the battle from a biased perspective rather than that of a bystander.

Well done GSP

I only can agree on this and wish it would have been already common to do so when I was starting X-Wing eight months ago. 

9 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

... Something's mixed up, left to right.

8 minutes ago, Quadjumper King said:

the squad lists are just on the wrong sides I think

The players set up on the wrong sides, it says it on the screen at the start of the setup after Dion finishes his intro.