lecudas

Forgotten Realms (Faerûn)

So, I want to play Genesys in this setting, and I will gladly work on an adaptation. But before I start - has anyone else already made a "D&D port" which would work for Forgotten Realms?

LATEST VERSION: Right here.

Edited by lecudas

Someone was working on porting the cantrips over, but I haven't seen anything else.

Personally, I'd steer clear of trying to translate something mechanical like a cantrip or a fighter archetype straight over from d20 to Genesys, where every name of every feature needs a discrete mechanical effect—instead, look at the game as a collection of story elements and figure out how Genesys can best express those elements. 

I LOVE FR <3 

For the mechanic aspect I would run as Pathfinder, cause for my taste is a nice version thinking about customization.

The setting would be easy to convert.

But there are some things I believe is up to you to decide... like, classes would be like in Genesys or like in Star Wars?

And personally, I won't adapt any spell ever created. I would keep it free, just using the Genesys system.

Classes and races are easy to convert IMO. The biggest problem is the beastiary >.< 

39 minutes ago, lecudas said:

That's awesome. I'd love to help out if you're looking for a team! 

I agree with @Bellyon, the bestiary is gonna be a challenge, but in my experience this system is all about eyeballing and getting it "about right" in terms of feel & power level.  

Regarding spells, specifically, I'd handle them by making the spells fairly generic (either grouped by magic school or effect), list specific examples of those spells included in the description (such as a spell called Force Field, where it has certain effects and the example spells are "Shield, Tenser's Floating Disc, Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, Leomund's Tiny Hut, Wall of Force, Forcecage, Globe of Invulnerability).

This is all spitballing really. Just ideas on how to handle the named spells, since they are a "thing" in the lore of the world. 

I'm working on Eberron and building it much more as a D&D-Genesys hybrid.  I'm giving classes a bit more structure, my magic system is spell based, plus a few other quirks.  That being said, I imagine we'll have a lot of material that will cross over well.  In particular, I'd be interested in seeing what monsters you come up with since I'd like to make most of the major ones but I've only barely scratched the surface.  Feel free to message me if you are interested on collaborating on anything.  He's a sample of my product:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpagmioizf75e43/Shifter stats.pdf?dl=0

13 hours ago, awayputurwpn said:

Regarding spells, specifically, I'd handle them by making the spells fairly generic (either grouped by magic school or effect), list specific examples of those spells included in the description (such as a spell called Force Field, where it has certain effects and the example spells are "Shield, Tenser's Floating Disc, Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, Leomund's Tiny Hut, Wall of Force, Forcecage, Globe of Invulnerability).

This is all spitballing really. Just ideas on how to handle the named spells, since they are a "thing" in the lore of the world. 

I LOVE this idea! For spell/caster level you could just add setback/boost dice. Or, for each caster level (which I'm assuming would be a tiered talent) you could remove setback or downgrade the difficulty of spells up to your rank in the caster talent. Or up to your ranks in the appropriate skill, which might keep casters more in their class's lane, and therefore retain more D&D flavor.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't make it a talent. Just increase the difficulty.

For example, Otiluke's Resilient Sphere is, in the narrative, a "4th level spell."  In the mechanics, it is the "Force Field" spell with the suggested effects of Ensnare (+1 Difficulty—spend 2 Advantage to immobilize the target for the duration, requiring a Coordination check opposed by your Spellcasting skill to escape), Enlarged (+1 Difficulty, spend 2 Advantage to extend effects to everyone engaged with your target), and Enduring (+1 Difficulty—spend 1 Advantage to increase the length of the spell by 1 round, can be activated multiple times). As for the spell's range, I don't feel it's intrinsic to the spell, but the Force Field spell should be eligible for the Distant effect, which allows you to cast it at further range bands by spending +2 Advantage per range band. And the default effects of Force Field could be,

You point your hand and wave your spellcasting focus while verbally commanding a  field of pure force to spring into existence. On a Successful

Easy Spellcasting check, the force field appears within short range of you and has an immutable shape of your choice (usually either a sphere or a flat wall). No spells or physical matter can pass through the field, although it can hold willing creatures or unsecured objects if its shape is conducive to holding things. You can also choose to have it be movable (by physical manipulation) or fixed in place (in midair, or on the ground). A Transmute spell of difficulty equal to your difficulty of casting this spell can destroy the force field. 

This is, again, total spitballing. And I would need to reference the Genesys Rulebook to make sure things line up with proper verbiage and the power/cost of effects, but this is kind of along the lines of what I'm thinking.

And in keeping with named spells of the D&D multiverse, maybe you could have a ranked talent that allows you to "name a spell," wherein each rank allows you to specify a "formula," I.e. a magic spell with specific qualities (e.g. Wall of Force—Enduring, Ethereal Extension, Enlarged), and reduce the Difficulty for casting that specific magic spell formula by 1 (to a minimum of Easy).

23 minutes ago, lecudas said:

OK, here is what I have so far... I still have Planetouched to make, and then on to Classes. Any input would be welcome.

Looks really nice! Do those pictures all come with the WotC's open license? I could see a problem with cease and desist orders if an artist's work is used with permission.

Also—some of those Wound Thresholds are crazy low! Is there any published archetype with a starting WT of 7 or 8? I would be much more tempted to remove starting XP than to gimp a starting character that much.

Also saw a typo, under the gnome heading on page 9, top of the right-hand column, "Elves can remove..."

3 hours ago, awayputurwpn said:

Looks really nice! Do those pictures all come with the WotC's open license? I could see a problem with cease and desist orders if an artist's work is used with permission.

Also—some of those Wound Thresholds are crazy low! Is there any published archetype with a starting WT of 7 or 8? I would be much more tempted to remove starting XP than to gimp a starting character that much.

Also saw a typo, under the gnome heading on page 9, top of the right-hand column, "Elves can remove..."

Eeek, I don't know. I found them all online. I will take it off, and make a version without graphics.

Drall in Star Wars start with Wound 8 +Willpower. Gnomes, being small, should be pretty analogous.

Thanks for spotting the typo!

Edited by lecudas

4 hours ago, lecudas said:

OK, here is what I have so far... I still have Planetouched to make, and then on to Classes. Any input would be welcome.

And I also agree with "broad" spell groups, and then a list of examples given. 

I get a 404, did you remove your files? So eager to take a look :D

2 hours ago, awayputurwpn said:

Definitely, I can see the gnomes working with a lower WT. But what about the elves? Those poor drow PCs are gonna get murderfied!

Look here:

and here:

to see what I've already tried to do in terms of species conversion.

I could this all day long... and I love the customization of Pathfinder, which I believe is the 50% about what a RPG and Forgotten Realms needs. The other 50% is a narrative and dinamic system, like Genesys.

And here is what I must say: guys, playing Forgotten Realms using Genesys means play Genesys, not D&D. D&D have cool ideais, but is a very different system. Trying to convert the system is something insane to do.

10 minutes ago, Bellyon said:

And here is what I must say: guys, playing Forgotten Realms using Genesys means play Genesys, not D&D. D&D have cool ideais, but is a very different system. Trying to convert the system is something insane to do.

I think we're in general agreement here, no? I said much the same thing several posts up.

12 minutes ago, Bellyon said:

Agreed! I want to work on the essentials - races, classes, weapons, monsters and magic.

Also - I am adding a link in the OP to the latest version. Feel free to check it out.

Voice (Presence): Augment, Barrier, Curse, Dispel, Heal.

Add these additional effect options to the following spells:

Augment

Inspire (Voice only) (D): All affected characters  are Inspired while the spell remains in effect, adding 1 Boost to all skill checks they make.

Curse

Disorient (Voice Only) (D): All affected characters suffer the Disorient condition whilst the Spell continues to be in effect.

Mandolin (350): The increase to Difficulty for adding any Additional Target effect to a Voice Spell is reduced by 1 to a minimum of zero. Add (A) to the results of all Voice Magic checks.

What if there were a Bardic Inspiration effect that messed with the Story Point Pool in some way? Or a reroll? Maybe like a once-per-session thing, you can inspire someone and reroll a number of positive dice in their pool equal to your ranks in Bardic Inspiration? And then there could be a talent that lets you do it to enemies as well, Cutting Words. "Triumph? I think not...your father smelt of elderberries!