Sign in to follow this  
GeekStar Tommy

Age of Sigmar - Baharroth

I'm about to start collecting Age of Sigmar. In fact I ordered the Age of Sigmar book on the same day I ordered the Genesys core rulebook. While I wait for them to arrive, I have been thinking about the world I'll be gaming in. Today I sat down and drew a very simple map of the world, a world which I am going to name Baharroth. In trying to think of a name, the first name to come to mind was Buh-Harroth. It wasn't until later I found out that there is an Eldar Phoenix Lord by the name of Baharroth. His name means: "Cry of the Wind". This name seemed to fit so I've decided to go with Baharroth.

Baharroth is actually a tectonic plate that is floating above clouds. What is beneath the clouds nobody knows, as anyone who sits on the back of a flying creature and goes down never comes back up. As if that wasn't strange enough, the sea which surrounds the mainland and islands falls from the side of the tectonic plate but the depth of the sea remains the same. There's also some floating islands around the mainland, though they aren't visible on the map I've drawn today, that stay in the same position and don't even move in strong winds.

Elves, known as Aelves in Age of Sigmar (it's a Games Workshop thing :rolleyes: ), are the dominant race of Baharroth. I'm still working on Humans and Duardin (Dwarves), but there won't be many. I'm thinking Humans will number in the thousands and Duardin in the hundreds, and these will be ruled over by the Aelves rather than have any of their own towns, cities or rulers. Ogres might be similarly governed by the Aelves, but like many of the races I'm still in the planning stages and don't want to commit myself too much to any one idea. Humans are one race that have a couple of options, but one constant is that there are enough remaining to be a playable race in Genesys. 

You can see the pictures on Facebook and/or Instagram, and I have a Genesys collection on Google+

I'm most active, and regular with my ideas, on Instagram which shares my post with Facebook meaning both get the same.

My Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/geekstar.tommy.5

My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/geekstartommy/

My Google+ (Genesys Collection): https://plus.google.com/u/0/collection/goU-LF

This is work in progress, and I won't always post here while I'm brainstorming ideas or finding inspiration. I'll keep posts here to those moments, like today, when something concrete is added to the world building. Hopefully it won't be long until I have my own Genesys: Age of Sigmar Baharroth supplement on my blog and the games can begin.

Edited by GeekStar Tommy

Age of Sigmar is just an updated setting to the Warhammer Fantasy RolePlay. 3rd Edition is the Grandrather system to Genesis. A lot of what you may want to do will already be done there. Careers and Talents are the big diversion from Genesys. But races and such will be done there already.

You could have it a couple hundred years or thousands of years later after a group of elves tried to elminate the dwarves and humans which made them split off and introduce the dark elves and maybe the dwarves seperated between two factions, the good dwarves that just want to live simple lives and then you have the chaos dwarves that want the grudge to leave them in peace...

Typed up the next part of my world building and shared to Instagram and Facebook. But here is a copy and paste:

World Building Part 2: Population

Baharroth will be a world where Aelves are in the majority. Daughters of Khaine occupy the North West of the mainland. Sylvaneth have a large area of forest that crosses the width of the mainland, and fills the only valley that cuts through the mountains. Highborn Aelves have grand palaces on some of the islands that float above the mainland, with their capital linked by bridge to a high mountain. Among some of the small islands in the sea around the mainland live the Idoneth Deepkin.

However, there are other races. Within the central mountain range live the few surviving giants, as well as Vhargulfs and Vhargheists among swarms of bats and fell bats. Other monsters hide out among the peaks and caves too.

On the Eastern side of the mainland live primitive tribes of Orruks and Grotz, together with monstrous spiders, trolls and squigs. These greenskins are Bonesplitterz and Spiderfangs, having become more feral since the dark times.

Most of the humans, who number in the thousands, are to be found under the rule of the Daughters of Khaine. Some are fortunate to live among the Highborn Aelves, but are the exception rather than the rule. Fewer still live among the Sylvaneth Woods, and only permitted at the cost of never using cutting tools, making weapons or creating fire.

Duardin number in the hundreds, and can only be found with humans within the territory of the Daughters of Khaine. Highborn Aelves and Sylvaneth have yet to welcome any Duardin into their domains. Ogres number in the dozens, and are similarly confined to within the territory of the Daughters of Khaine.

Once I've started fleshing out all of the background I'll have a better idea of the playable races. I'm seriously thinking of doing stats and motivations for Humans, Duardin, Ogres, Aelves, Orruks and Grotz.

But for today, that is roughly how I plan to populate Baharroth.

1 hour ago, gilbur said:

You could have it a couple hundred years or thousands of years later after a group of elves tried to elminate the dwarves and humans which made them split off and introduce the dark elves and maybe the dwarves seperated between two factions, the good dwarves that just want to live simple lives and then you have the chaos dwarves that want the grudge to leave them in peace...

I've not gotten into the history just yet, but it is likely that the Elves were going to wipe out Humans and Dwarves with the Ogres. Perhaps a combination of the Highborn and Sylvaneth found such butchery distasteful and stopped the darker Elves from completely eradicating the other races.

In my first draft, Humans were extinct in this particular world. Only Ghouls and Skeletons remaining of their once proud cities.

Now my ideas point to the Elves simply wanting to remove any trace of Chaos from this world. As such any humans with a knack for magic are swiftly and mercilessly killed. I've yet to decide whether or not to have a dark secret or ancient evil yet to be summoned, but I'm toying with different ideas.

6 hours ago, ApocalypseZero said:

Age of Sigmar is just an updated setting to the Warhammer Fantasy RolePlay. 3rd Edition is the Grandrather system to Genesis. A lot of what you may want to do will already be done there. Careers and Talents are the big diversion from Genesys. But races and such will be done there already.

I've never played Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying. In fact, I was more into Warhammer 40,000 until recently. I might look at some of that material for inspiration, but I'm looking forward to doing my own thing with Genesys.

By all means, do your thing. I was just pointing out that much of the work has been done, or at least has a template, that you wouldn't have to do all the leg work or create from scratch. It also gives a point of reference for balance and continuity. 

And if there was any confusion, outside of specific system details, all the stuff in Warhammer Fantasy RolePlay 3rd Edition (WFRP3e) is already done in Genesys rules really (Characteristics, Thresholds, etc.)