Sign in to follow this  
Cry Ptic Life

I suck at Campaign

The more details you can give, the more tips we can offer:

Which campaign? Core?

Who are the 4 heroes?

What class cards have the Rebel/Imp bought so far?

Which mission have you won out of the 7?

Are you using the anti-snowball rule?

What's the most common cause of losing? Running out of time or everyone wounded?

Lastly, make sure you're not making any common rules mistake like forgetting strain-move and surge-recovery, confusing between "threat" vs. "threat level", you may only "Special Action" once (Gaarkhan can't Charge x2), die is locked after reroll (so Diala can't keep on rerolling for that dodge), you can split up movements for Stormtrooper's reroll w/o being blasted...

Edited by ricope

5 hours ago, ricope said:

Lastly, make sure you're not making any common rules mistake like forgetting strain-move and surge-recovery, confusing between "threat" vs. "threat level", you may only "Special Action" once (Gaarkhan can't Charge x2), die is locked after reroll (so Diala can't keep on rerolling for that dodge), you can split up movements for Stormtrooper's reroll w/o being blasted...

I'd add, make sure you understand the "move" action. Move provides movement points, it does not move the figure. Those movement points can be spent at any time, and in any amount, during a figures activation, including before and after other actions. And movement is life ?

Whether playing rebels or imperials, always pay attention to skills that provide free movement. 

Edited by TeethAlmighty

I'm gonna guess you're Imperial...

As to the rest, we'll definitely need to know the answers to most of what @ricope and everyone else asked.

Just wanted to say that it does happen.  I'm the most experienced player in our group (with two brand new Rebels) and I'm getting my butt beat as the Empire in our Jabba's Realm campaign so far.  I only have two wins, and we just have two missions left.

The good news is, only the last mission matters.  Pretty sure the finale of our Hoth campaign was one of only four missions I won in that one, too.

Oh yeah.  I’m imperial, have played longer than the other two, been blubbering my mouth off about how rigged campaign is.  At the moment, I have to go to school, so I can’t put out the agenda and class yet, but I will ASAP.  Thanks for the response

Really?  We’ve been playing the other two players have two activations and the legendary reward card.

On 2/25/2018 at 1:58 PM, ricope said:

The more details you can give, the more tips we can offer:

Which campaign? Core?

Who are the 4 heroes?

What class cards have the Rebel/Imp bought so far?

Which mission have you won out of the 7?

Are you using the anti-snowball rule?

What's the most common cause of losing? Running out of time or everyone wounded?

1.  Yep, we recently started and starting with core.  

2. Fenn and Mak, both with two activations and the legendary card.

3. Rebs

Mak

No escape

Fenn

Rebel Elite

Take Cover

Armoured gauntlets 

Infintry rifle

4.  The basic card and Adaptive weapons

5. Can’t remember, but pretty sure I wounded them. 

6. No idea

7.  I think maybe it’s becuase I take my time, and I usually save my open deployments until one of the end events, so when the end event happens I usually get a deployment, so with that free troop I deploy everything I got so I can focus fire and so they don’t have time to retreat.

sorry it took so long to reply.  I’ve been busy, and I play on two different houses and sometimes things get confused.

Edited by Cry Ptic Life
Forgot to add something

18 minutes ago, Cry Ptic Life said:

Really?  We’ve been playing the other two players have two activations and the legendary reward card.

Personally I haven't played two heroes (outside of the app tutorial), however my understanding is that giving the heroes two activations per round allows them to move too fast or double rest too frequently.  Four heroes cuts each hero's opportunities to rush objectives in half, and prevents negating damage dealt by the Imperial too easily.

For example, both heroes you're playing against have a speed of four.  In one round they can move 16 spaces, 20 if they strain, with the Legendary card.  At that rate they a) will get to objectives in no time and b) your groups on the board aren't catching up.  You better have something nasty waiting in the Bushes of Love for them.

Experience has shown that two Legendary heroes are better than four regular ones. It has to do with specialization, extra health, easier syncing (2 rather than 4 heroes whose cards and abilities need to sync), etc. It is just a fact.

It should be noted that playing the Imp in campaign, you should try to be comfortable with losing more than winning. Some missions are weighted one way or the other, but overall the story follows the Rebels and it is naturally that they win more. Try to enjoy the story rather than getting hung up on "losing", even though it is sometimes frustrating when nothing you try ever works (but that goes for the Rebels as well). Your fun is to reveal the story and throw badies at the Rebels, and if you end up losing missions that's secondary to everyone having fun, I would say.

If you're very new to ImpAss, then keep in mind that you have few Threat points early in the game. Don't be tempted to take the heavy hitters early, as you'll rarely get to field those for Threat economic reasons. Having Open Groups that you can actually field regularly are more valuable than the monsters that you never get on the table. And, don't forget that cheap Stormtrooper groups are great! They die a whole lot (as they are supposed to, judging by the films), but their Squad Training ability is fantastic! You can easily lay heavy damage on a hero by suicide attacking them with a 6 point stormie group taking turn to shoot and move into position for the next guy to get the bonus; practice playing Stormtroopers as they will often win you the earlier games (and later too for that matter).

As for general advice:
--When you go for a wounding victory, concentrate on one hero at the time as much as you can, then switch to the other once the first hero flips to the injured side.
--Imperial Officers can be amazing! They cost two points, have a crap attack that sometimes scores lucky shots, but they are great at positioning another figure for a perfect attack.
--Remember that the Move action buys you Speed number of movement points that you can use at any point during that figure's activation. You are totally allowed to spend 1-2 movement points to pop out of cover and then after attacking, spend the remaining 1-2 movement points to run and hide the figure. Although this will often not save a low-health figure's life, it will force the hero to 'waste' an action to go after it (instead of say, attacking twice, or whatever). Even when certain death stares your stormies in their eye, you can often make it harder for the Rebels to kill him; and if the Rebels ignore the difficult stormy to push for an objective or something instead, then great! you can make another attack with the stormie next round. Don't invite heroes to kill off your low-health figures, but try to be annoying instead, even when there is very little chance the figure will escape.
--(regular) Trandoshans are pretty good too. Two of them cost 1 point more than three regular Stormtroopers, but they deal quite a bit more damage (or strain) + can take a beating.
--When facing a white defense die hero it might be wise to field multi-figure deployments (i.e. several attacks) when targeting those, to reduce the impact of that pesky dodge roll.

I'm sure there are many, many more advice that could be given, but the most important of all is, have fun, even if you're losing. Enjoy your time by cackling like the Emperor, breathing like Vader, or making probe droid sounds, and let the heroes have their little victories safe in knowledge that thousands of their friends are being interrogated in Imperial prison sells or lie strewn across countless battlefields across the galaxy. Long live the Empire! ;)

Edit: And what @Uninvited Guest said (while simultaneously making a veiled reference to the best video on YouTube!)

Edited by angelman2

Thanks a lot guys!  The advice is very helpful.  What about timing?  How and when should I deploy my open groups?  With my begining troops, should I lay down the pressure and get killed, or should I stay low, and pressure em when I deploy the open groups?

1 hour ago, Cry Ptic Life said:

Thanks a lot guys!  The advice is very helpful.  What about timing?  How and when should I deploy my open groups?  With my begining troops, should I lay down the pressure and get killed, or should I stay low, and pressure em when I deploy the open groups?

Main thing to remember, use what you know about the mission to your advantage! If you know something spawns (because of a mission event) at end of round, open a door,etc - it is sometimes good to drop those open groups during the same window (or close as possible). So when the rebels are thinking about how to deal with these new trandoshan hunters who just showed up, you drop down a nexu and an office as well. That way they can’t focus Fire your open group figures OR the mission figures. Plus with any luck you negate their activation advantage. 

Again in with the mission events - plan accordingly. If it’s a timed mission stun and bleed are your friends to make the rebels waste activations. So bring open units that can deliver those conditions. If they need to escape, then maybe a Bantha or nexu to block an escape space is something you want to keep in your pocket. 

Being the imperial is hard, but it’s a ton of fun. Good luck and long live the Empire!!!

7 hours ago, Cry Ptic Life said:

1.  Yep, we recently started and starting with core.  

3. Rebs

Mak

No escape

Fenn

Rebel Elite

Take Cover

Armoured gauntlets 

Infintry rifle

4.  The basic card and Adaptive weapons

5. Can’t remember, but pretty sure I wounded them. 

6. No idea

7.  I think maybe it’s becuase I take my time, and I usually save my open deployments until one of the end events, so when the end event happens I usually get a deployment, so with that free troop I deploy everything I got so I can focus fire and so they don’t have time to retreat.

sorry it took so long to reply.  I’ve been busy, and I play on two different houses and sometimes things get confused.

Some thoughts:

- it's well known that 2 hero w/ Legendary is a lot more unbalanced than 4 heroes. Always play with 4 hero for optimal balance: make people play multiple heroes if needed. My fav campaign is 1v1 (me Imperial vs. another player controlling all 4 heroes)

- Fenn is a S-tier (super) hero and Mak is an A-tier hero, so yes combine those 2 with Legendary you'll be having a hard time as Imperial

- I see you went with Adaptive Weapon route. It's an awesome 4xp card but again having 2 Legendary will makes the game a lot more swingy imo

What I'd do if I were you:

- use the anti-snowball rule here

- play with 4 heroes next time, and if your Rebel's cool with it start immediately play with 4 heroes. Give the 2 new heroes the equivalent amount of xp (but no extra credits though) and make your Rebel players double-duty. Don't worry even though they now have 4 guys on board instead of 2, their total Health and speed are now also spread amongst 4 instead of 2

- check the mission balance poll as well: if you're losing the ones that favors Rebels then don't feel too bad

Just want to chime in that if controlling 4 heroes is too much, the campaign still works well with three heroes. I have run 3+ campaigns against three heroes and it seems fine. 4 is probably optimal, but three still seems ok. If you have two rebel players, they can each have their own character plus one common character that they can both decide on the moves upgrades etc

While it can be tempting to deploy your troops between the Rebels and their objectives to try to block/defend those objectives, it can also be strategically useful to deploy behind them, chasing and harrying them. In missions with a time limit, that means they often have to choose between making progress with the mission, or engaging your figures.  You can win by slowing them down more easily than by wounding them sometimes.

3 hours ago, udat said:

While it can be tempting to deploy your troops between the Rebels and their objectives to try to block/defend those objectives, it can also be strategically useful to deploy behind them, chasing and harrying them. In missions with a time limit, that means they often have to choose between making progress with the mission, or engaging your figures.  You can win by slowing them down more easily than by wounding them sometimes.

Thanks!  I didn’t think about that.  Totalnoob and ricope, thanks so much!  Problem is, while reading the anti snowball rule, my empty head got confused and lost.  What is snowballing?

Snowballing is when winning a mission gives you more rewards than your opponent, making you stronger, so it becomes even harder for your opponent to win.  Kinda like the opposite of "rubber banding" in games like Mario Kart.

The analogy is a snowball rolling down a hill, getting bigger, heavier, and more dangerous :)

On 2/28/2018 at 10:13 AM, Cry Ptic Life said:

Yeah, there's your problem right there.  Two of the most powerful heroes in the entire game with double health and activations.  You're gonna be hurting with that.

How many Rebels are there?  4 heroes can be tough for one person to manage, but 2 Rebels can pretty easily handle it.  

In fact, 2 Rebels each controlling 2 heroes apiece might be my favorite way to play the game.  Keeps things balanced, while also keeping the Rebel players engaged.

31 minutes ago, Cry Ptic Life said:

2 rebs.  Thanks so much.  I’ll ask if they could change it, and if not, then that’s fine too.  Thanks for your time!

You should frame it as "Missions are primarily balanced around four Rebel heroes" because that is a fact.

On 2/28/2018 at 10:49 AM, angelman2 said:

It should be noted that playing the Imp in campaign, you should try to be comfortable with losing more than winning.

I have not found this to be the case in my experience.  The biggest contributing factors are experience with the game, Rebel hero selection, and being able to think multiple activations ahead of your opponent(s).  When playing as the Imperial, I usually plan for the Rebels to do what I think is the most optimal and then work to counter that.  The more missions you play, the more you can see what the Rebels are likely to do.  Same goes for playing as the Rebels.

There are numerous threads stating "an intelligent Imperial can hardly be beat" and "end game Rebels are too strong" etc.  In general, I find the game to be fairly balanced (although not perfectly balanced for obvious reasons).  However, I do think that you often need to consider using some campaign balancing mechanisms to keep it competitive since the experience and skill levels are often going to make the game feel unbalanced.