Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Cool Stuff from The Last Jedi Novelization

Maybe I'm closed minded .. but almost everything you've mentioned from the book has killed a little bit more of SW for me. It's like authors have think up the craziest BS to put their mark on the universe.

I can appreciate that others like it but it really doesn't correlate with my personal SW canon. 

Does anybody else feel this way .. or is it just me?

4 hours ago, Conandoodle said:

Maybe I'm closed minded .. but almost everything you've mentioned from the book has killed a little bit more of SW for me. It's like authors have think up the craziest BS to put their mark on the universe.

I can appreciate that others like it but it really doesn't correlate with my personal SW canon. 

It's not just you, I knew Disney would run things into the ground but I thought it'd take more than two years.

I should never of held their beer!

4 hours ago, Conandoodle said:

Not just you.  I've already mentally handwaved the sequel trilogy into non-existence.  Instead of taking their time to build up the Star Wars universe (like they did with the MCU), they rushed it, and they Rianed it.

27 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Not just you.  I've already mentally handwaved the sequel trilogy into non-existence.  Instead of taking their time to build up the Star Wars universe (like they did with the MCU), they rushed it, and they Rianed it.

56 minutes ago, Hobojebus said:

It's not just you, I knew Disney would run things into the ground but I thought it'd take more than two years.

I love what Disney's done with the MCU (for the most part), mainly because superhero movies don't need good plots or strong character portrayal. On the other hand, the Star Wars saga - especially later works not done under Disney such as The Clone Wars and most of the old EU thrived on their character development, phenominal world building and intriguing plots.

Disney has only done two plots since the beginning of time - coming of age and reluctant Prince/Princess/Power figure with precious few exceptions. They seemed to combine both with some barely interlinking Rey and Kylo plots, with disastrous - and boring - results. Every action a sequel trilogy character takes is contrary to their prior character development and nonsensical in relation to current plot evets. Events in TLJ go so far as to break the whole canon in many ways.

Disney's usually outstanding CGI effects were reduced to... yet another Death Star / Star Destroyer / Desert Planet / Ice(salt?) Planet / TIE Fighter reskin. And even they can't stand up to the excellent practical effects of the original trilogy. Costuming is again tiresome duplicates of the original trilogy.

In the Rebels cartoon, the only interesting characters are Thrawn, Vader and Maul (IMO), and they're all competing for screen time with at least 5 equally ridiculous characters (with Ezra in a field of his own). Every success they have is the result of plot armour only exceeded by Rey, and every failure is meaningless.

On 2/25/2018 at 12:35 PM, Kdubb said:

Everything shared about Hux makes him that much more lame of a character. Man is he lame.

The biggest problem is that he shouldn't be. Why bother having any conflict at all if your villains aren't actually competent? Thus far, we have had 4 named villains, are 3 of them are absolute chumps. The only one with near universal acclaim (as far as Star Wars fandom can get, anyway) is the product of beloved characters.

3 hours ago, Astech said:

Disney's usually outstanding CGI effects were reduced to... yet another Death Star / Star Destroyer / Desert Planet / Ice(salt?) Planet / TIE Fighter reskin. And even they can't stand up to the excellent practical effects of the original trilogy. Costuming is again tiresome duplicates of the original trilogy.

I mostly agree with you on everything but costuming. While it isn't wholly original, the new Stormtrooper Armor feels like a "modern" upgrade of a decades old design. Kylo's attire looks like something a Vader-obsessed fanboi would design, and Captain Phasma looks like she intentionally wanted something similar, but unique to allow her to stand out from the rest of the "common" stormtrooper corps.

On the hero side of the house: the resistance costumes look advanced and functional, but weather-worn. Much like their rebel forebears costumes.

Edited by Yakostovian

21 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

21 hours ago, Hobojebus said:

Admittedly, the movies are watchable. They lack the charm and charisma of the originals and certainly won't enjoy the longevity of those first 3. But this garbage in the book!? Seriously .. what the actual phuque is it? It feels like that terrible midichloriad scene again .. and again .. and again .. 

I get it, we all have different personal canons and I confess I am very Vanilla. Anything from EU outside of X-Wing series was too far out there for me. Rebels is too far out there. But this stuff described in the book is laughable.

On 3/20/2018 at 4:18 AM, Conandoodle said:

Admittedly, the movies are watchable. They lack the charm and charisma of the originals and certainly won't enjoy the longevity of those first 3. But this garbage in the book!? Seriously .. what the actual phuque is it? It feels like that terrible midichloriad scene again .. and again .. and again .. 

I get it, we all have different personal canons and I confess I am very Vanilla. Anything from EU outside of X-Wing series was too far out there for me. Rebels is too far out there. But this stuff described in the book is laughable.

^^^ This. well said, and pretty  much exactly how I feel. I wanted this trilogy until I got it, much like the prequels. Yeesh. I am one sad panda.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:13 PM, Astech said:

Also, try to appreciate how pathetic a cinematic choice it was to use the Raddus. It was no doubt brought up to current technological standards, since it was space-junk after Vader was finished with it, so the fighter attack was truly bizarre. Nevertheless, the Resistance is apparently so poverty stricken that they can only afford a single true capital ship with a full tank of fuel, yet rich enough that they can afford the development of stealth tech, top-of-the-line fighters, a single-role bomber wing and so on. It's ridiculous.

I think you are confusing ships and characters.

The Raddus, the ship from The Last Jedi, was named after Admiral Raddus.  Admiral Raddus was commander of the ship Profundity, which was the thing destroyed in Rogue One by Vader's attack.

1 hour ago, xanderf said:

I think you are confusing ships and characters.

The Raddus, the ship from The Last Jedi, was named after Admiral Raddus.  Admiral Raddus was commander of the ship Profundity, which was the thing destroyed in Rogue One by Vader's attack.

That's what I get for posting at midnight.  :(

I gave it a look on Wookiepedia, and the Raddus was retired from service, at which point it was claimed by the Resistance and remodelled. Vader had nothing to do with it, but nonetheless the Raddus was equipped with recent technology by the time of TFA/TLJ.