jwilliamson12

Quickdraw’s Ability Destroys a Ship

I had a case today where I was playing against QuickDraw. Both my ships were PS8, so they shot after QuickDraw. My Ship A hits QD with an attack, to trigger the ship’s return fire. QD attacks my Ship B and lands enough hits to kill my Ship B.

Since it was during the Attack Phase for ships at Ps8, should my Ship B have gotten a chance to attack before being removed from playing field?

(future reference, I realize now I should have attacked with the hurt ship first to ensure it got a shot).

Yes, Ship B should have had it's opportunity to attack after being destroyed. It's covered under the Simultaneous Attack rule on page 17.

During the Combat phase, all ships with a pilot skill value equal to the active ship have the opportunity to attack before being destroyed. If a ship would be destroyed and it has the same pilot skill value as the active ship but has not had an opportunity to attack yet, it is not destroyed. Instead, it retains its Damage cards and continues to function as normal, suffering any effects on its Damage cards. After it has had its opportunity to attack, it is destroyed and removed from the play area.

The active ship was Ship A, and Quickdraw triggers during Step 9 of Ship A's attack, so B would still get to attack before being removed.

5 hours ago, Parravon said:

Yes, Ship B should have had it's opportunity to attack after being destroyed. It's covered under the Simultaneous Attack rule on page 17.

The active ship was Ship A, and Quickdraw triggers during Step 9 of Ship A's attack, so B would still get to attack before being removed.

Thanks! Yeah, played it wrong, which is a bit of a bummer. Could have possibly taken off QD’s last shield.... oh well.

14 hours ago, shaunmerritt said:

Yes...  you at level PS8 during that step so even if QD attack at a hight PS... the other PS8s still get their opportunity to attack. 

It's not Quickdraw's pilot skill that's used in this instance. The ability triggers when Quickdraw loses a shield, regardless of what PS step is currently being resolved.

6 hours ago, Parravon said:

It's not Quickdraw's pilot skill that's used in this instance. The ability triggers when Quickdraw loses a shield, regardless of what PS step is currently being resolved.

There might not even be a PS if Corran or the Ghost Title are being used. 

28 minutes ago, nitrobenz said:

In which case simultaneous fire is not invoked.

True. I was just talking about a separate issue. Sorry for the confusion. I’ll leave everyone alone now. 

Think of the combat phase as a step-by-step process where the only time you remove ships from the table is when you move from one PS to the next, and each ship with that PS gets an opportunity to attack on that step. 

So you shouldn’t remove any of your ships before you move down to the PS7 step.

On 2/26/2018 at 4:30 PM, Yearfire said:

Think of the combat phase as a step-by-step process where the only time you remove ships from the table is when you move from one PS to the next, and each ship with that PS gets an opportunity to attack on that step. 

So you shouldn’t remove any of your ships before you move down to the PS7 step.

Not entirely correct. The ship is removed after it gets to attack not at the end of that ps level. If there are additional ships at that ps it could matter for some things with other ships at range blah blah from you, and such. 

On 2/26/2018 at 1:20 PM, tortugatron said:

True. I was just talking about a separate issue. Sorry for the confusion. I’ll leave everyone alone now. 

No worries, it's an important point to note that end phase stuff doesn't use PS and it is tangentially related to the topic of retaliation attacks. :)