DarthGM

Order 66 Podcast - Questions for the Devs - Dawn of Rebellion

It's been far too long since we've had one of these...

The Order 66 Podcast is excited to have RPG Lead Developer Tim Huckleberry back to the show to discuss the release of a brand new classification of sourcebooks; the first Era book Dawn of Rebellion!

As we have done before, the Order 66 Podcast is collecting questions from you, the listeners, for any queries you have about the book. Got a production question? A rules dispute about a talent? A piece of gear that doesn't make sense? Looking for insight on the new universal specializations, or want to ask about something in an NPC's stat block? 

We'll take questions until Wednesday night, March 18th. The show will be on March 25th at 8pm Central, and we'd love to have you join us in our chatroom, Echo Base, for the show!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/d20radio

As usual, we are only taking and fielding questions about this book, Dawn of Rebellion. We won't really have time to ask about any questions relating to other books, and of course Tim can't answer questions about products that have not been announced yet.

Finally, please limit replies in this thread to questions for the Devs only. If you would like to discuss something brought up in this thread, please start a new thread elsewhere and discuss the matter there.

Thanks for your time and your questions!

Dawn of Rebellion is a book of many 'firsts' for the SWRPG line, but one of the more notable ones is the change in approach when it comes to statting out canon/legacy characters like Darth Vader, Thrawn and the cast of Rebels. I'd love to hear what discussions went into making the decision to start offering official stats for these sorts of characters, and if this is something we can expect to see going forward.

And before anyone else asks it...

Can you go into the design philosophy behind the new universal specializations? Why take this approach of making them universal, rather than linking them to pre-existing careers, like making Pirate a Smuggler spec, or Retired Clone Trooper a Soldier spec? Likewise, the Retired Clone Trooper deviates from previous specializations in requiring the PC to be a human male. Why this approach rather than, say, including Republic Clones as one of the species in the book and letting the spec be a more generic combat veteran talent tree?

Edited by SavageBob

2 hours ago, SavageBob said:

And before anyone else asks it...

Likewise, the Retired Clone Trooper deviates from previous specializations in requiring the PC to be a human male. Why this approach rather than, say, including Republic Clones as one of the species in the book and letting the spec be a more generic combat veteran talent tree?

Tandem question:  Is the human a fluff requirement or a hard requirement?  Likewise, could a character be taught the specialization? 

I can picture a Clone who retired and starting a family would be teaching his kids everything he knows.  Or a retired clone has went into the wilderness, came across a community that needed help, and trained them to the Clone Trooper's level.  

Are there any pictures that stand out and the favorites?  Mine would be the shore trooper assault.

Quarrie's ability seems to be exceptionally useful.  Has any  one commented that it might be an ability that the PCs might seek out and learn from him?

Anaxes Asteroid Belt, Seelos , and Shantipole look like excellent places to have expanded on.  Are there any plans to expand on them in a PDF?  In addition, with Anaxes' fate, are there any plans to make a pre-Clone Wars sheet?

The bo-rifle doesn't have a slot in the equipment tables.  Was this intentional or just something overlooked?

Were there any plans to introduce stats for the Eighth Brother?

Both the Free Ryloth Movement and the Protectors of Concord Dawn have the main leader and second in command.  What do you recommend for use as members of their organizations?

Are there any plans to release an unmodified version of the Lancer-class pursuit craft?  Question answered by EliasWindrider.

Overall, **** good job on the book.  Covering both the Rogue One film and the Rebels Series is no easy feat.  Also, have you all seen the Rebels series?  What are your thoughts on the finale (the podcast will take place after the Series Finale)?

Edited by Sarone

1 hour ago, Kualan said:

Dawn of Rebellion is a book of many 'firsts' for the SWRPG line, but one of the more notable ones is the change in approach when it comes to statting out canon/legacy characters like Darth Vader, Thrawn and the cast of Rebels. I'd love to hear what discussions went into making the decision to start offering official stats for these sorts of characters, and if this is something we can expect to see going forward.

I would like to add was this the plan all along or was this a new idea?

How does Comrades in Arms work when multiple characters use it? I have a feeling that a stacking effect is not intended, but nothing tells me that as written.

As the Force Wills It requires an easy check instead of a simple check to heal strain. I assume this is deliberate based on the bonus effects, but would just like to see some clarification one way or another.

Push Aside is nice. It seems well put together, and has a fair trade off allowing the target to choose where they will move (to prevent players from pushing all of their enemies off of buildings and into pits Leonidas style). However, it's mostly a mechanical balance; how would you explain allowing the target to choose the direction from a narrative stand point in a way that doesn't just make the player think they're being stymied?

2 hours ago, Eoen said:

I’d like to know which version of the Fang fighter is the correct one; Dawn of Rebellion, the one in No Disentigrations, or are they variants.

My guess would be variants. We have variants of the Consular class ship with slightly different stats too. 

What's the rationale behind giving the Retired Clone Trooper six career skills rather than four? Limiting the spec to human males doesn't feel like it justifies this; it's a limitation on player choice, not the character's ability.

12 hours ago, 2P51 said:

What's been going on with shipping/release schedules?

Help us Order 66, you're our only hope!

We know they don't comment (can't comment) on this questions, but please consider to ask it on the show. Is not an imposition, but certainly it is a concern from the fans. Please, consider the question from the Pirate!

13 hours ago, 2P51 said:

I would third this.  I would not normally do so, but this community loves this game system, and so many of us are concerned by this delay.  With multiple books now taking over a year to release (and the possibility still remaining for two more), I would be remiss if I missed this opportunity to request this question be asked.

My guess is that Tim won't be able to comment on specifics even if this question does come up, so a slightly modified version might be: is the intention to have the remaining products announced in 2017 released by the end of Q2?  Obviously intention doesn't mean it will happen, but is that what they're aiming for?  Just that assurance would go a long way to alleviating many of our fears, I think.

Edited by Absol197

Ask the question imo.  He either answers or he doesn't but in that answer you still get information.  The answer will either be forthcoming and will provide likely be a check list of things that have gone wrong, or it will be the I can't comment type of thing, which is still informative in that it indicates some level of sensitivity about the answer.  Honestly even if the question doesn't get asked it seems to me that provides an indication of the latter.  It's really the only question I think anyone is actually interested in seriously in the game line. 

On 2/24/2018 at 8:42 PM, Gallandro said:

Could we see future era specific sourcebook releases like a Clone Wars era book?

On 2/26/2018 at 1:33 AM, Andreievitch said:

Why has Dawn of Rebellion come out before Fully Operational and Cyphers and Masks , and more importantly, what the heck is happening with Fully Operational!  I ordered it in May last year...

17 hours ago, 2P51 said:

4 hours ago, Rithuan said:

We know they don't comment (can't comment) on this questions, but please consider to ask it on the show. Is not an imposition, but certainly it is a concern from the fans. Please, consider the question from the Pirate!

3 hours ago, Absol197 said:

I would third this.  I would not normally do so, but this community loves this game system, and so many of us are concerned by this delay.  With multiple books now taking over a year to release (and the possibility still remaining for two more), I would be remiss if I missed this opportunity to request this question be asked.

My guess is that Tim won't be able to comment on specifics even if this question does come up, so a slightly modified version might be: is the intention to have the remaining products announced in 2017 released by the end of Q2?  Obviously intention doesn't mean it will happen, but is that what they're aiming for?  Just that assurance would go a long way to alleviating many of our fears, I think.

3 hours ago, 2P51 said:

Ask the question imo.  He either answers or he doesn't but in that answer you still get information.  The answer will either be forthcoming and will provide likely be a check list of things that have gone wrong, or it will be the I can't comment type of thing, which is still informative in that it indicates some level of sensitivity about the answer.  Honestly even if the question doesn't get asked it seems to me that provides an indication of the latter.  It's really the only question I think anyone is actually interested in seriously in the game line. 

Hey folks, I understand your frustration about the shipping schedules, but we'll be talking with Tim Huckleberry and two freelance writers from the book (James Spahn and Keith Kappel). None of those folks have any input or knowledge as to the shipping side of things.

I apologize if this ticks anyone off, but we won't be asking about FFG's release schedule or future books that have not been announced yet. We are going to have a lot to cover and not a lot of time to do so, so we're going to focus on Dawn of Rebellion (even though I'm as curious as you are about the shipping situation).

28 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

As a play tester for something else, we are VERY aware of deadlines

@DarthGM respectfully ask the question, it’s your show, it’s a hard question, warn them in advance it’s being asked if you feel the need, but please, ask it

Or if nothing else, let them know it's the main question that people are asking, and request before the show starts that Tim* look into bringing a prepared statement on the subject.  It doesn't have to be long; three sentences would be more information than we've had since the current information went stale three to six months ago.

*  Clearly the freelancers won't have any ability to request this, but as Tim is a FFG employee, I can't believe he doesn't have some ability to do so.  Whether the request would be honored is obviously another thing entirely.

2 hours ago, Absol197 said:

Or if nothing else, let them know it's the main question that people are asking, and request before the show starts that Tim* look into bringing a prepared statement on the subject.  It doesn't have to be long; three sentences would be more information than we've had since the current information went stale three to six months ago.

*  Clearly the freelancers won't have any ability to request this, but as Tim is a FFG employee, I can't believe he doesn't have some ability to do so.  Whether the request would be honored is obviously another thing entirely.

I agree, and honestly heated discussions over the decisions regarding silhouette sizes or stat assignment designations may be interesting to some, when you read every single thread, about every single release, they all ask the same thing 'yah, but when will they be released?'  or 'how long is something typically on the boat?' or 'why hasn't there been more news about this release X?'  etc.  It's the white elephant in the room if the question isn't asked imo.  Personally I don't even really care, but imo it's the single most oft repeated issue in about every single release thread.

Edited by 2P51