Yodas Mum

How to (easily) save the game

Fenn/lothal is broken. 

If nerfed it will be nymranda bomb b&llsh!t all over again.

If nerfed it will be some other ridiculous unfun combo.

The game has completly lost its balance, and the brilliant dogfight mechanic that drew 

so many into the game is spoiled through unlimited cardcombos even a much more 

serious gametesting than the existing cant realistically avoid.

I spend much more time thinking how to unbrake the weekly broken-meta-tier-s-squad,

than playing and much more important enjoing the game itself.

This has much to do with pretty much knowing the broken squad when I see it.

That sucks...........hard.

I am tired of it.

Heres my simple gamechange, that in my humble opinion unbrakes the worst combos all at once.

The deeper problem is innherent and cant be solved by nerfing single cards.

Change basic rules to: 

No ship can have more than 4 (maybe 3) upgrades.

Opinions?

FFG...please let me play again.

Thank you.

Edited by Yodas Mum

3 minutes ago, Ralgon said:

all that does is makes nu,nu,nu,qd top dog. And we start to cry about alpha strikes.

i would like to disagree:

That can be easily beaten by arcdodgers and higher PS than 2.

16 minutes ago, Yodas Mum said:

i would like to disagree:

That can be easily beaten by arcdodgers and higher PS than 2.

ok, sure. that's why it started winning regionals before people cottoned on to fenn/kanan.

As for arc dodgers, you gimped a good portion of them with your limit, not to mention made several "fix" cards worthless.

In 2.0 version I think each individual ship should have an upgrade point limit. Support ships would have higher limits than front line ships.

Example:

The T-70 can have 6 points of upgrades.

Also side note: I don’t think Ghost / Fenn is broken.

Edited by Jadotch

12 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Try running good arc dodgers on 3 or less upgrades.

i said 4 (maybe 3)

anyways here we go:

Sontir AT PTL

Inq AT PTL Title

Whisper ATC VI FCS

POE BB8 ADVOPT AT

SNAP Intensity FAA AT

FENN PTL AT

Thweek AT FCS

Guri etc.

Vader EU Title ATC 

Jake PTL AT Protons

Duchess Ailerosn VI LWF

Dash -LW-Title-HLC-rey

Miranda-whateveryoulike but no 54 Point fortress

...just from the top of my head.

All playable if their is no UBER-COMBO-CAN-DO-IT-ALL-SHIP

Edited by Yodas Mum

4 minutes ago, Yodas Mum said:

i said 4 (maybe 3)

anyways here we go:

Sontir AT PTL

Inq AT PTL Title

Whisper ATC VI FCS

POE BB8 ADVOPT AT

SNAP Intensity FAA AT

FENN PTL AT

Thweek AT FCS

Guri etc.

Vader EU Title ATC 

Jake PTL AT Protons

Duchess Ailerosn VI LWF

Dash -LW-Title-HLC-rey

Miranda-whateveryoulike but no 54 Point fortress

...just from the top of my head.

All playable if their is no UBER-COMBO-CAN-DO-IT-ALL-SHIP

Those ships suck. 

1 minute ago, wurms said:

Then quad wookiees and crap are everywhere.

Just give range bonus to secondary weapons. Problem solved. Only turret that is hurt is TLT. Missiles and crap need to be toned down anyhow. Managing range 2 alpha strikes would actually take skill so enemy doesnt get range bonus.

This sounds more reasonable. 

Any way you'd do it would be clunky, unfortunately.

I would take photos of each ship and asteroid, using two rulers to determine X and Y position. You should be able to get the facing from the photos.

Hang on to your lists, of course.

I'm assuming here you really have to put away the game, because leaving it out would be way easier.

Edited by Lightningclaw

I like to come here to read about squad combos, rules explanations and tarctics.  Seems like there is more “...doesn’t work...” than anything else.  Does FFG actually follow these forums?  I’ve learned, in other areas, the head-honchos typically don’t have time.  

Does anyone actually contact FFG with hear suggestions?

My suggestion, just deal with it for now.  It may suck, but it is the hand dealt to you.  Or, just play epic.  ?

Please no.  Either of these changes to the core rules, or even both, would be better:

When defending if the attacker is beyond range 2, roll one additional defense die.  (For all attacks not just primary)

Or 

When defending, if you are not in the attacker's firing arc, and the attacker is a small or large ship, roll 1 additional defense die.

There, that gives all ships a huge defensive boost against TLT and turrets in general as well as against some alpha strikes at longer range where they would get an extra die while you would not.  Brings primary weapon, arc locked ships back up to the rest of the pack where picking the correct maneuver is of the utmost importance.  Just as a tactical dogfighting game should be. 

9 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

You know how I save the game?

I learn about all the broken crap and then.  . .

DON'T PLAY IT.

It's like magic.  The game is immediately awesome.

That's my roommate's approach to things. He learns what the WAAC builds are for any game, and them avoids using them like the plague. He loathes "cheese" armies.

I deal with it by simply ignoring the existence of meta and playing whatever seems neat at the time. I mostly like to tinker and experiment, so I can't even begin to care if something I try is meta or not.

Edited by Deathseed

10 hours ago, Ccwebb said:

My suggestion, just deal with it for now.  It may suck, but it is the hand dealt to you.  Or, just play epic.

This hand has been dealt pretty much since wave 4 through whisper leading to fat han. There where only small windows through the stresshog or imperaial a-holes that brought more versatile squads to the surface. The rest was dominated by MIN/MAX-squads going all out on one gamemechanic and rendering 95-99% of all other pilots useless. Like today its fenn/lothal, nymranda and some tanky ships with expertise. The MIN/MAX squads force everyone to bring an answer or immadetly loose.....if both squads are PLAYED CORRECTLY. I dont think i am the only one who can predict the winner of 95% of all games by taking a look at the matchup. I feel it is a problem when a game degenerates to that state, that matchups define the winner. Theirs no Problem when you have to adept to the meta but if you have constantly abandon Pilots or sometimes whole Factions cause they dont have an answer to the newest Metabully thats a problem. This has become a constant state the more cardinteractions exist and will not be solved by nerfing 1 or 2 cards per FAQ. After each new wave their is a shortly period of hope, that it will bring the balance, but this is just an illusion crumbling after some weeks. Also for me two uberships fighting two uberships doesnt feel very starwarsy but more like wrestling. Becoming less the art of manouvering than just a cardgame to find combos. 

Here is the history of Uberships since wave 4: Whisper->Fat Han -> Rac -> Dash-> Fat Han again -> (IG2000) ->Palpaces-> TLTs (Quad and Stresshog) -> TORPboats ->Torpboats vs Palpaces->Torpboats-> deadeye nerf -> Torpboats again -> Dengaroo ->X7Defender (aka easymode frontarcs) -> finally a nerf RESTRICTING the UPGRADE POSSIBILITYS on Jumpmasters -> Paratanni ->another restricting nerf for attani-> Mirandabombs ->  Nymcrap  and today fenn/lothal vs expertise.

It allways ...ALLWAYS burns down to 2 or 3 viable squads.

In my opinion it doesnt need to .

PS: Epic isnt tournamentrelevant and of course there is allways the possibility to play with my balls instead. But that is not the solution i am looking for.

14 hours ago, wurms said:

Then quad wookiees and crap are everywhere.

Just give range bonus to secondary weapons. Problem solved. Only turret that is hurt is TLT. Missiles and crap need to be toned down anyhow. Managing range 2 alpha strikes would actually take skill so enemy doesnt get range bonus.

maybe..its the same cancer as quadtlts with the difference of more defence instead of offence.

its the same lazy flying forcing the opponent pretty much to play against a very uncomplex KI.

(2 turns instead of 3 banks with the quadtlt).

Its not my cup of tea to fly it, but its an interessting thing to fly against.

Lets restrict some more:

Basicrule No 2:

maximum copys of any card: 2     (hmmm....maybe 1)