Sign in to follow this  
JBar

Help with "spaceship" bases

There are just too many Star Wars planet bases to choose from for my army. I want to collect both rebel and imperial but don't want to decide on a particular planet for the bases. I also would like my whole army to have matching bases.

So what I've decided on is making bases that look like something like the Death Star interior, inside an Endor bunker, Hoth base, etc. Basically I'm looking for a way to replicate the floors of Star Wars if that makes sense. That way, I think the minis can fit it on most boards and not look too out of place, since each planet has some sort of interior building or whatever.

All I've found so far are these pictures from Boardgamegeek, but I don't know how they were made. Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, or other ideas on what to do? I don't want to just paint the bases grey. I'm collecting these minis more for the painting and not the game.

Examples: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1409276/painting-question-does-debasing-minis-make-sense

Lo9pqnVl.jpg

wsO39K8l.jpg

Edited by JBar

@JBar I share your concerns, although as I intend to play I don’t think that any base modifications would be practical (ie height, diameter changes would come with actual game effect changes in line of sight and movement; so this would presumably make them ineligible for competitive play).

I still haven’t seen any terrain agnostic basing patterns that would look right for both indoor and outdoor settings. That being the case, I’m inclined to just skip basing entirely and play with them plain (since they are already color coded by side).

Ok, so this base is very ugly, but I put together a quick test to see if this would work. I have some 0.02in plasticard you can get off Amazon and I'll be buying a circle cutter to cut them to the base size. Then I'll cut out some designs and then spray paint the plasticard (that way there aren't brushstrokes like in the picture. And I'll go with a lighter grey) and then spray a gloss varnish over that.

2SwcAaal.jpg

I might also try to get these of Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y5C27LR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2JN7MZ6O4WPR0&psc=1

Think they would work to punch out ovals in the plasticard? I'm looking for that "Star Wars" oval look, like these:

rPNX7jhm.jpg

My goal is to have something that looks kind of like this but grey and with more designs:

ijUH2Jjl.jpg

Edited by JBar

Hi, for other fans grappling with this question, one way to achieve a generic base that is terrain-neutral, is to use a clear plastic base.

This company (found via a quick google search) does bases in a range of sizes and I guess there are others as well. 

http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/epages/950003459.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950003459/Products/CTBR

I wanted to do the same, but haven’t had the time yet. I was thinking of glueing down some acrylic sheeting or something like this stuff: https://www.michaels.com/clear-vellum-sheets-by-recollections/10508125.html#q=Clear+sheet&start=1

Then you could paint any colour and finish with glossy sheen. Also if you wanted some kind of grooves like the Han pic above, you could maybe cut another piece and glue on top.

Not sure if this will work or if there are any problems with this, as I haven’t done it yet.

Edited by JediPartisan

On 2/24/2018 at 11:21 PM, Derrault said:

I still haven’t seen any terrain agnostic basing patterns that would look right for both indoor and outdoor settings. That being the case, I’m inclined to just skip basing entirely and play with them plain (since they are already color coded by side).

Unbased minis tend to look "unfinished" in my opinion.  If you are fielding Rebels, then I would recommend some kind of basing that fits with any camo schemes you may have painted (forest/desert/urban/etc). Imperials have a bit more flexibility, depending on if you went with the film accurate look or a custom scheme.

On 2/26/2018 at 4:25 PM, skirmisher said:

Hi, for other fans grappling with this question, one way to achieve a generic base that is terrain-neutral, is to use a clear plastic base.

This company (found via a quick google search) does bases in a range of sizes and I guess there are others as well. 

http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/epages/950003459.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950003459/Products/CTBR

Except those bases dramatically change the height of the miniature, and ones that are the correct height will make all your models look like they are levitating a fair distance off the ground. Not to mention the added difficulty of keeping the clear base from clouding when gluing to the base. 

As I've said elsewhere, to me basing is more about tying the army together than tying the army to a specific board. If your own story for the army is they are typically deployed on a forest world, space station, desert, etc, then the basing should correspond to this mental idea you have. Additionally, basing is more important  to me when displaying your miniatures between games, be-it on a display board, in a cabinet, or on the edge of the table.