Sign in to follow this  
atkrull

I want a ticket!

6 hours ago, Hobojebus said:

You can have a ticket to my theme park, there's one ride the queue takes three days to get there and the only toilet is broken and I refuse to hire janitorial staff to fix it.

...I made myself want to play bullfrogs theme park.

Oh I know about that theme park.... nah i'm good thanks.

Related image

3 hours ago, tortugatron said:

This lotto thing is a terrible idea. Those that REALLY wanted to go would have been the ones clicking refresh like mad. In my local group, there’s quite a few noobs that barely play that got in but some of us that make cuts and such didn’t. 

1 hour ago, Velvetelvis said:

The lottery is fantastic.it means people that play casualy have a chance to go.instead of just people that make cuts and such.

And here we come to the crux of the discussion.

Edited by Kaptin Krunch
phoneposting is hard.

57 minutes ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

Right? I still think the entirety of worlds should be by invitation from people who took top X in a regional or better. But that would require actual tournament reporting capabilities, something we all know FFG is the best at.

1 hour ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

FFG does call it a "World Championship" and not "FFG World's Convention" or even more generic "Tournament," so at this point it's less the crux of the discussion and the contrast between how it is billed vs. how it is determined who goes.   If they could fit everyone that wants in, then it could be both, but they haven't made significant enough changes to make that happen.

2 hours ago, Velvetelvis said:

The lottery is fantastic.it means people that play casualy have a chance to go.instead of just people that make cuts and such.

If casuals really wanted to go as badly as try hards, does that mean they can’t mash the refresh button?  Making cuts isn’t a prerequisite to get in for either method. 

47 minutes ago, tortugatron said:

If casuals really wanted to go as badly as try hards, does that mean they can’t mash the refresh button?  Making cuts isn’t a prerequisite to get in for either method. 

So your computer and internet speed should determine how hard core you are? Seems legit.

1 minute ago, tortugatron said:

That doesn’t have anything to do with it. As long as your internet is reliable, you’re fine. 

Before the lottery a couple of seconds could make a difference. So, yes it did have something to do with it. Here is the problem with the whole situation: everyone thinks the way that works the best for them is the way it should be. No way works for everyone. FFG has never wanted their tournaments to be only hardcores. Gotta live with it.

3 minutes ago, TallTonyB said:

Before the lottery a couple of seconds could make a difference. So, yes it did have something to do with it. Here is the problem with the whole situation: everyone thinks the way that works the best for them is the way it should be. No way works for everyone. FFG has never wanted their tournaments to be only hardcores. Gotta live with it.

That’s not how it works. I got in the last two times. With so many people trying to get in, you just refresh until you’re one of the ones that got through. There was up to a couple minutes where you could have registered. Sometimes it would say t was sold out, but it might not have been. Just keep refreshing. 

3 minutes ago, kris40k said:

Yeah, we should have a tournament to determine who can go to the tournament. And then only the winners will be invited. Maybe we can call it an Invitational...

...yeah, I'm a genius!

Haha. Yea my take is its just like dice variance. Its not muh dice. If I really wanted to go to my first worlds I could have just controlled my own destiny and won a Regional. Lesson learned.

Plenty of other events to go enjoy. Its actually really encouraging that X-Wing is this popular that it requires a lottery system! 

2 hours ago, tortugatron said:

That’s not how it works. I got in the last two times. With so many people trying to get in, you just refresh until you’re one of the ones that got through. There was up to a couple minutes where you could have registered. Sometimes it would say t was sold out, but it might not have been. Just keep refreshing. 

How is this any different than a lottery?

4 hours ago, AlexW said:

FFG does call it a "World Championship" and not "FFG World's Convention" or even more generic "Tournament," so at this point it's less the crux of the discussion and the contrast between how it is billed vs. how it is determined who goes.   If they could fit everyone that wants in, then it could be both, but they haven't made significant enough changes to make that happen.

It’s an Open. That means open to players. 

The cream of the crop (top 8 at all the Regionals) get invites anyway. Frankly I don’t see the issue. 

If you’re salty because you didn’t get to go because of the lottery, how is that any different than the “refresh” lottery that caused the event to sell out in a few minutes?

1 minute ago, BlodVargarna said:

How is this any different than a lottery?

It’s harder to do than signing up at your leisure. FFG made it too easy to sign up, so of course even more people would. At least if you had to prepay, the number of signups would be less leaving a higher percentage of people that really want to go. This same type of thing is done for stuff like applying to jobs. Jobs make the application process take quite a bit of time so that only people who really want the job apply in the first place. Do you know how many jobs I’d apply to if all I had to do was fill out a super short form online and just upload a resume?  That would be a lot of noise for employers to sort through. 

1 hour ago, BlodVargarna said:

The cream of the crop (top 8 at all the Regionals) get invites anyway. Frankly I don’t see the issue. 

If you’re salty because you didn’t get to go because of the lottery, how is that any different than the “refresh” lottery that caused the event to sell out in a few minutes?

I'm not particularly salty.  I just think this system waters down the field significantly more than the rush to click (for reasons others have mentioned so I won't repeat).  I think the title and description is currently at odds with how they have people sign up and what those people expect from it.    IE it’s World Championship in name only when 90% of the spots are open  to whomever.  FWIW I don’t care what format they use but right now it just isn’t what they say it is and this method of signups is worse for their intended description(see below).

The further issue is that people were just as likely to get their secondary option as their primary, meaning more people might have just put Xwing down since they were going anyway but were equally likely to get it as someone who just wanted to play Xwing.  I think we're seeing this in other events. Heck, I did it for Armada and that's how I got in.

As for it being an "Open," well that word isn't mentioned at all on the page, so I don't know where you're getting that from (though I realize any can attempt to sign up).   Here are the exact opening paragraphs:

Are you strong with the Force? Prove it. Join us for the 2018 May World Championships on May 2nd – 6th!

The 2018 May World Championships are the pinnacle of Organized Play for five of the Star Wars galaxy's greatest tabletop games—Star Wars™: Armada, Star Wars™: Destiny, Star Wars™: Imperial Assault, Star Wars™: The Card Game, and X-Wing.

For five days, the top competitors for each of these games will gather at the Fantasy Flight Games Center in Roseville, MN. They will come from across the globe to represent their local communities against the world's best players. They will roll dice, move ships, and play cards. And they will battle for the fate of the galaxy

Edited by AlexW

4 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

Missed this error last time.  It's only the winner, not the top 8.  I think the Top X (depending on tourney size) would be a step in the right direction.

Edited by AlexW

3 hours ago, AlexW said:

Missed this error last time.  It's only the winner, not the top 8.  I think the Top X (depending on tourney size) would be a step in the right direction.

Auto invites for regional and system open cuts would be a totally fine solution. That means worlds would actually be made up of "top competitors" and "the worlds best players". The fact that some of the people from the top 50 invitational (a list based on placement at your best 3 regionals this season) aren't going to be there is ridiculous.

8 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

So that's how the US Open for golf or the French Open for tennis work right? Oh, wait... you have to qualify to play in those because they're high level tounaments

Note that I'm saying this as someone who didn't make a regionals cut this year. I don't think my level of flying this year deserves to be in the X-wing world championships. So this is not me being salty about not going, it's about wanting the world championships to actually be the pinnacle of X-wing as it should be instead of randomly leaving out some of the games best players. I'm all for FFG having a tournament at their HQ that anyone who wants to attend can, it's called the Minnesota regional, but this is worlds not just anyone should be able to compete.