Sign in to follow this  
MattShadowlord

The ONE PAGE Armada Campaign

This is a campaign designed with 3 goals

Anti-Snowballing

• Tackling the main complaint people have had with the Corellian Campaign by keeping fleets even

Simple to play

• Trimmed down and streamlined to an absolute minimum of booking keeping and special rules

Competitive but Casual

• We are specifically interested in rules that might allow all the new players and casual gamers joining in Armada locally to possibly dip in for a game.

The result is a Campaign that fits on ONE PAGE.
And that's with Big Writing too :D

onepage.png

Obviously this stripped-down approach without imaginative special rules won't appeal to everyone, but it should serve purpose for allowing us to run a campaign that invites/involves some of the new players. Comments are welcome; Any feedback/changes that can improve this before we commence would be great, as long as they don't require rules that would go over the margin of a single A4 :D

Version 1.0 Text for anyone who can't view images.

Objective

Two teams battle across a map of the Star Wars Galaxy (use the Corellian Campaign map, or a map with at least 18 marked areas). The first team to score 12 points wins the campaign.

VICTORY POINTS

A victory in a battle for a neutral area (not owned by either team) is worth 1 point to the winner. The player with the smaller Fleet can choose to be 1st or 2nd player.

If the area was owned by one of the teams, victory is worth 1 point to the defender or 2 points to the attacker, but the defender will be player 2 and may pick one of the green Base Defence objectives.

The Imperial Capital Corellia and Rebel Base of Corfai start owned by their respective teams, and can only be attacked in round 3 or later, in an All-Out Assault (see campaign book). Victory is worth 3 points to the Defender or 4 to the Attacker, but the Defender gets to pick one of the green Base Defence objectives.

THE ONE PAGE ARMADA CAMPAIGN

a simplified multiplayer campaign for
star wars: armada

Fleet rules

FLEET SIZES

Points available for Fleet building are 350 per player in round 1, 400 in rounds 2 and 3, and 450 in round 4 onwards.

Veterancy

Ships that kill an enemy Ship become veterans. Unique Squadrons that kill an enemy ship or squadron become veterans. Veterans gain a token that can be spent for one attack-dice reroll per battle. Veterans who are destroyed lose their Veterancy, but suffer no other ill effects.

Unique characters

A unique character may only appear once per Team. A player can change their fleet from round to round, but only the first player to use a unique Character may include it.

BAttles

Declaring Attacks

The First Team nominates a player to declare an attack. The Second Team declares a player who will defend, and then this process is reversed as the Second Team declares an attack and the First Team declares who will defend until all players are assigned to a battle. If there are an odd number of players, Imperials attack first in odd rounds and Rebels attack first in even rounds.

OBJECTIVES

Other than the exceptions noted ‘Victory Points’ on the left, objectives are as marked on the map, or, if the area is marked ‘+3 Objective Cards’, chosen from 3 cards as per the normal rules.

Special Optional Rule: If the Teams agree and one of their own players is not available, casual players can join in for a game on either side, using any fleet from their faction and the points limit for the round.

Edited by MattShadowlord

There is a lot in CC that is broken or pointless (initial system selection, special assaults, strategic effect tokens, the ressource system). Most people try to deal with this by house rule fixing it - the insane ones try to set up an entirly new campaign even more complex than the original one (yes, I am proudly talking about myself :ph34r:). You have taken a completely different approach: Throw the broken stuff out of the window!

And I think that solution works as well! I would play your version everytime before I play a standard CC campaign.

Three points:

1. I would consider to throw the green objectives out of the window as well (apart from the base defenses). They are a cheap way to circumvent player objectives, are normally less second player biased (by an even greater first player bias in the campaign - even yours) and are therefore lame.
  2. Why the 350/400/450 points and not 400/450/500? I think a lot of people enjoy the 500 point fleets.
  3. You know that it is not really a one page campaign, you cheat ;)! A lot of what you write makes merely sense, if you have CC in mind.

Nice. 

It does bring up a question I have had about CC, the many house rules and now your simplified version. Why can't the players on the same side exchange units between rounds? Point for point. Yours is the closest with the "first come first serve" rebuild each round, but I never really got why that was never included. Especially since transfers between units are so common place in the military.

57 minutes ago, Darth Veggie said:

And I think that solution works as well! I would play your version everytime before I play a standard CC campaign.

Three points:

1. I would consider to throw the green objectives out of the window as well (apart from the base defenses). They are a cheap way to circumvent player objectives, are normally less second player biased (by an even greater first player bias in the campaign - even yours) and are therefore lame.
  2. Why the 350/400/450 points and not 400/450/500? I think a lot of people enjoy the 500 point fleets.
  3. You know that it is not really a one page campaign, you cheat ;)! A lot of what you write makes merely sense, if you have CC in mind.

Good point about the Green objectives - using one's own choice of 3 cards is better compensation for being player 2.

I'll see what people prefer. 350 was just to allow a lower starting point to escalate from without the fiddly 'One upgrade per ship' rule used in the official campaign, and thus make the standard 400pts feel more luxurious, but it is true that people tend to like more points.

Its a friendly campaign ... how about these changes Fleet Sizes:  Start at 350 and increase by 50 points per round. At round 5 and after players may decided to cap at 500.   Fleets may be changed between rounds with no limitations except that of unique Characters.

6 hours ago, Darth Veggie said:

I would consider to throw the green objectives out of the window as well (apart from the base defenses). They are a cheap way to circumvent player objectives, are normally less second player biased (by an even greater first player bias in the campaign - even yours) and are therefore lame.

5 hours ago, MattShadowlord said:

Good point about the Green objectives - using one's own choice of 3 cards is better compensation for being player 2.

But they're also the only tactical difference between one location and another. Why shouldn't some places be harder to defend than others?

If you walk up to a CC match in progress, the only way you know Corellia from Talfaglio is that you, uh, don't. Pitching greens takes out what little of that there is.

But they're also the only tactical difference between one location and another. Why shouldn't some places be harder to defend than others?

If you walk up to a CC match in progress, the only way you know Corellia from Talfaglio is that you, uh, don't. Pitching greens takes out what little of that there is.

The non-Base Defence green objectives do make the map more interesting, but IMHO don't make the actual games better when you sit down to play them. Their primary flaw is that they don't compensate Player 2 for the loss of initiative anywhere near as much as allowing Player 2 to offer their own 3 preferred objective cards.

Or worse - Hyperlane Raid for a player 2 with a small list like the popular 3 ISDs has to give Player 1 a free 15 pts before the game starts. Why? no idea.

And that's why I liked DVeggie's suggestion of removing them in a campaign that's focused on balanced games rather than the between-game shenanigans :D

Yeah... This only makes sense with CC partially to explain it. But I really like the one page ness and no snowballing. Although, this seems a lot less flavorful, and perhaps a little boring in the same way that objectives are boring-story-wise, or that you can't tell planets apart. 

So there is no 1 upgrade rule? 

I am assuming there is a you can only add or upgrade from your existing fleet, not just make a new fleet for each round yes??? 

It might be fun to go from 300 to 350 to 400 to 450 to 500. 

Is all out assault allowed?