taulover55

Rate my list for a beginner

So I've been toying around with an idea for a list that will allow my eldest (7 years old) to play and do reasonably well at tournaments but be fairly easy to fly.

I've come up with this list with 2 of his favourite ships in, the Falcon and the Ghost. I'm hoping that he can get a few games in and learn to fly 2 large based ships. I'll also be giving him Debris so he doesn't mess himself up on rocks lol.

CHEW CHOO

99 points

52 points
• Chewbacca
 Push the Limit
 Inspiring Recruit
 Nien Nunb
 Millennium Falcon (Evade Version)
 Engine Upgrade
47 points
• “Chopper”
Fire-Control System
 Twin Laser Turret
 Hera Syndulla
 "Zeb" Orrelios

basically chopper can fly where he wants and gets modded attack dice from FCS. Bit weak on defence then but it has 0 green die

Chewie ignores crits and can PTL to reposition and can shed stress with Nien numb/inspiring recruit combo

I could be missing something. What is Chewbacca doing to pick up two stresses to make Inspiring Recruit worthwhile? I suppose it'd be nice for Chopper, but I think Intelligence agent is better for a new/younger player.

Edited by jwilliamson12

26 minutes ago, jwilliamson12 said:

I could be missing something. What is Chewbacca doing to pick up two stresses to make Inspiring Recruit worthwhile? I suppose it'd be nice for Chopper, but I think Intelligence agent is better for a new/younger player.

not a lot but its a "just in case" for if he's stressed and jumps over a debris cloud. my boy isn't fully up with forward planning or visualising where he is likely to end up.

I was thinking of putting Rage on Chewie which works well with Inspiring recruit but PTL gives him a focus/evade or boost/focus.  I could also remove both crew and stick Kanan with Chewie to remove stress on almost any move which would work better i think. hhhmmmm

Edited by taulover55

I don't really like Chewie (for a 7-year old).  I'd replace PTL with Predator.  It's always on, and won't limit his moves.  For crew, Bistan, Rey, and Gunner all seem like good choices, and Bistan seems the easiest.

Personally, I've never had a great time with Zeb, since my opponent can just shoot me too, and it'll hurt with 0 agility on the Ghost.  I see the logic, but the times I've bumped head-on with the Ghost, I've usually wished I didn't have it, and we both gave up shots.  I'd also consider Dash Rendar crew.  Dropping from Chopper to Lothal Rebel would save the points for it, and that'd also help when flying over obstacles.  Alternately, there might be points for Ezra.  Ezra/Hera is a classic combination with Fire Control System.

With your Chopper/Hera/Zeb ship, you seem to be going for a "ramming speed" motif... perhaps an Autoblaster/Accuracy Corrector setup would work well?  Alternately, if you can fit Ezra onto that Ghost instead of Zeb, you'll have some consistent passive boosts to your shots.

As for Chewbacca, I agree that you're putting an awful lot of stress removal onto a ship that doesn't generate much stress (PTL notwithstanding).  Replacing Nien Nunb and the Inspiring Recruit with Kanan gives you even better stress management, even if he goes over debris.

EDIT:  I like a lot of the ideas @theBitterFig offered, too.  A suggestion, then:

• Chewbacca (original) - 52 points total
    • Predator
    • Bistan
    • Chopper
    • Millennium Falcon (evade)
    • Engine Upgrade
  • Lothal Rebel - 47 points total
    • Fire Control System
    • Twin Laser Turret
    • Hera Syndulla
    • Ezra Bridger
Edited by emeraldbeacon

With my son, (9)  I find that things that are fairly easy and super consistent tend to work best.  This is what he flies for competition type stuff, while I encourage him to make his own lists for us personal.

51 PTS.  Dash with Push the Limit (Let him get that extra action), Mangler cannon (most people use Heavy's but the Mangler is good one for all three ranges), Kyle Katarn (This is the hardest concept, but he's got it down pat after 1-2 games playing with me reminding him and having him read the card to understand why), and Outrider.  This build gives him forgiveness for running over asteroids, and he loves the Barrel roll.  It lets him choose his two actions each turn and gives him extra when he pulls stress off with Katarn.

49 PTS.  Chewy with Predator (free re-rolls), Baze (second chance if he misses), and the traditional falcon title for the evade token.  These concepts keep him thinking what actions he wants, but still flexibility to always do damage.  Chewy helps with the no face up damage realm so he doesn't have to deal with critical damage as much.

I would definitely not have a 0 agility.  it's frustrating to know you're going to take damage and the good combo's start to get complicated for my boy real quick.  That's my 2 cents.

So, with a simple set up in mind, yet one that has broad functionality, I would suggest this:

Chewie

Predator

Rey

C-3PO

Millenium Falcon (Evade Title)

Lothal Rebel

Accuracy Corrector

Autoblaster Turret

Hera Syndulla

R2-D2

Engine Upgrade

Chewie has a reroll, banked focuses from early in the game, a C-3PO evade, and a Falcon evade. Plus, the whole dial available.

Lothal has easy, simple attacking - you just need to be in range, can dial in any move, has a bit of regen, and can either evade or boost.