Sign in to follow this  
Rasseman83

Raclo + friend vs. Ghost Fenn?

Has anyone tried the matchup?

I'm thinking of running this list at my next regional.

New Squadron

(46) Rear Admiral Chiraneau
(1) Veteran Instincts
(8) Emperor Palpatine
(3) Kylo Ren
(2) Dauntless
(4) Engine Upgrade
Total: 64 points

(34) Countess Ryad
(4) Expertise
(-2) TIE/x7
Total: 36 points

List total: 100 points

How good of a chance do I have against the standard Ghost + Fenn list?

And what tactic should I use?

In my headsim I go all out for the Ghost. Preferably R1 engagement and blind him. Don't let him shoot for two turns if possible. 

Two small problems with that idea:

1 - If you get the range one engagement you want after you move, the ghost will boost away when Fenn moves after you did (PS11) and coordinates it.

2 - The Blinded would only stop the attack during the combat phase and not the end of combat phase shot so you still loose 2 hp for both of those rounds

I think you basically Kylo whoever you can most easily Kylo. If it’s Fenn, make him PS 0. If it’s the Ghost, Blinded. Even then it could be tricky, though. 4 TLTs is 4 damage a round against RAC, and without Autothrusters, Ryad probably takes two a round. If you’re gearing against Ghost Fenn specifically, I think you want Autothrusters aces and/or PS 11 with a solid bid. 

Best wingmen to RAC I've seen right now against Ghost/Fenn is Inquisitor and Quickdraw. I'd lean more towards Inquisitor IMO. If you like the idea of Expertise, x7, and Twin Ion MKII on Ryad, partner her with a Yorr Palp shuttle and another ace, likely Inquisitor. That's what I've been trying out. Yorr protects the Expertise and free's up Inquisitor a bit after Pushing and obviously Palp will help Ryad's survivability to lower the odds of those 4 TLT shots if they go after her instead of Inquisitor. 

4 hours ago, bgrelle said:

Two small problems with that idea:

1 - If you get the range one engagement you want after you move, the ghost will boost away when Fenn moves after you did (PS11) and coordinates it.

2 - The Blinded would only stop the attack during the combat phase and not the end of combat phase shot so you still loose 2 hp for both of those rounds

The scenario you're describing assumes RAC is chasing the Ghost which is a bad idea. The trick is to get RAC in front of the Ghost at range 1 so he can't boost. Or get him to engage where obstacles and board edges either block the boost, or put him in a bad position of he does boost. 

If you can pull this off, you've got a good chance of winning. The Ghost would be forced to send its end phase TLTs at Ryad which is likely to hit only once. 

If you can blind it twice and take only 2 damage to Ryad in the process, you've got very good chance of winning. 

31 minutes ago, Sekac said:

The scenario you're describing assumes RAC is chasing the Ghost which is a bad idea. The trick is to get RAC in front of the Ghost at range 1 so he can't boost. Or get him to engage where obstacles and board edges either block the boost, or put him in a bad position of he does boost. 

If you can pull this off, you've got a good chance of winning. The Ghost would be forced to send its end phase TLTs at Ryad which is likely to hit only once. 

If you can blind it twice and take only 2 damage to Ryad in the process, you've got very good chance of winning. 

This is exactly what I was thinking about. In a straight joust it's not so easy to boost around a big base if you get close enough.

And with expertse and RACs ability Fenn should do nothing.

I'm not afraid of one TLT salvo on Ryad with Palp focus and evade.

But after the initial round of firing it could get tricky. RAC will be at long range due to no K-turn and Ryad can't ignore 4 TLT shots.

1 hour ago, Sekac said:

No, actually the scenario I am describing is any game with someone who knows how to fly the ghost and how to keep their potential boost exits open since that is the whole idea behind that list.   That (bolded) becomes a really big if when your opponent knows that is what you want them to do and if they are even halfway decent they won't even come close.

32 minutes ago, Rasseman83 said:

This is exactly what I was thinking about. In a straight joust it's not so easy to boost around a big base if you get close enough.

And with expertse and RACs ability Fenn should do nothing.

I'm not afraid of one TLT salvo on Ryad with Palp focus and evade.

But after the initial round of firing it could get tricky. RAC will be at long range due to no K-turn and Ryad can't ignore 4 TLT shots.

It won't be a straight joust if the ghost player knows what they are doing.  They are going to bank or turn so they are not facing directly at you so they always have a boost exit potential.

Staying at range one and pushing as much damage thru as possible is the only way to win.  IGNORE FENN.  Focus exclusively on the ghost and hope you can bring it down in three turns and that you get lucky rolls with Ryad.

A smart ghost player will kite you around the board, you just have to keep the damage up and hope you trade the decimator for the ghost.  I think Fenn+Zeb could beat a damaged decimator.

56 minutes ago, bgrelle said:

No, actually the scenario I am describing is any game with someone who knows how to fly the ghost and how to keep their potential boost exits open since that is the whole idea behind that list. 

Okay, so I'm other words, 

2 hours ago, Sekac said:

The Ghost moves at PS 3. RAC has to anticipate where the Ghost will be when he sets his dial. Then he sees where the Ghost went and boosts to cut off his path.

I'm not saying it's an easy fight but there are win conditions in that match up. Just assuming the Ghost/Fenn player will fly better is a cop-out. 

Ryad + RAC can definitely beat it. I used to beat Kanan Biggs with it back before Kylo was released. Fenn, Sensor Jammer, and Engine Upgrade add another element, but you can work around that.

Id do a few things.

1) Try to save Kylo-ing a blinded for when your opponent actually gets no shots in return. Im thinking RAC in front arc range 1, Ryad in side arc range 1. Or for situations where RAC will eat a 4 dice primary + 2 TLT damage, so you dont implode from the 4 dice shot.

2) Try to kill Fenn early, but in some way where you can avoid damage from the Ghost. Also, if the opponent coordinates the Ghost for a boost, Fenn is left without a defensive focus.

3) Assume every shot Fenn shoots at RAC will hit for 2 damage. If you want to win the damage race, reduce this.

4) Ryad CAN evade some TLT shots, but doesn't have AT, so 4 TLT shots is likely 1-2 damage without extra luck on your side.