Sign in to follow this  
bsmith23

Harry Potter

I haven't saw anything like this here yet, but I think it's easy to adapt :D I can't help with this though cause I don't know much about HP :/

I think the first thing to do this is write all you want to adapt. Adversaries, spells, magic itens, special rules, etc.

It would help to organize the content.

It's weird, students learn branches of magic, but also specific spells. You'd need skills for learning both, as well as inventing spells.

You definitely need a skill for wands, which is how spells are aimed. When spells fail it's because something's wrong wand-wise.

Of course, to emulate the world you also need plot amnesia, where once something is used to cause a twist, everyone forgets about it for the rest of the series (or, "the greatest trick veritaserum ever did was convincing people it no longer existed") :P

@GM Chris of the Order 66 podcast has developed a Harry Potter setting book for GeneSys. Unfortunately it is only available to those who have backed the Gamernation Con kickstarter. However, I believe there is a method for those who just want access to the backerzone content to still get it.

7 hours ago, Timerron said:

When I go to the backer zone (I'm not yet paid for This year) I only see access to 2014 stuff. Didn't the GMs say stuff is released for free after a year? 

I have access to the current stuff. So i have harry potter :)

@bsmith23 The Dice For Brains AP podcast is currently running a setting of Genesys in the Fantastic Beasts world created by the GM Ross. Listen to character creation here: http://diceforbrains.libsyn.com/genesys-s07-special-episode-character-creation-part-1 and Episode One here: http://diceforbrains.libsyn.com/genesys-s07-episode-1-and-the-casa-magica29496750_601506056860222_487044861966627

It's unfortunately not just a link, but a password that goes to it as well along with a username. Personally, I find the idea of charging money for it to be questionable at best since it contains copyrighted images, and are directly profiting of off J.K. Rowling's work.

Perhaps they will release it for free in future. 

11 hours ago, Imbasel said:

It's unfortunately not just a link, but a password that goes to it as well along with a username. Personally, I find the idea of charging money for it to be questionable at best since it contains copyrighted images, and are directly profiting of off J.K. Rowling's work.

Perhaps they will release it for free in future. 

It will be free later. It isnt 30 bucks for harry potter. It is 30 bucks for early vault access which includes a bunch of stuff. Those who were involved in the kickstarter got it as a part of their participation. I dont know how many time this has to be explained in this thread. 

11 hours ago, Daeglan said:

It will be free later. It isnt 30 bucks for harry potter. It is 30 bucks for early vault access which includes a bunch of stuff. Those who were involved in the kickstarter got it as a part of their participation. I dont know how many time this has to be explained in this thread. 

I apologize for the err. You are correct that it is not $30 for Harry Potter. However, as they are including it in early vault access they are, in part, profiting off of an IP that is not theirs.

I’m surprised that they have not been issued a cease and desist letter.

17 hours ago, Daeglan said:

This is why I'm looking forward to when they make a decision about OGL (or something similar). Until FFG makes some sort of decision concerning this stuff, creating Genesys content and putting it behind a paywall - even a temporary one - could be a really bad idea. And like Imbasel stated, it's also distributing a game based on trademarked intellectual property, and JKR has been vocal in the past about how she feels about that sort of thing.

3 hours ago, Simon Retold said:

This is why I'm looking forward to when they make a decision about OGL (or something similar). Until FFG makes some sort of decision concerning this stuff, creating Genesys content and putting it behind a paywall - even a temporary one - could be a really bad idea. And like Imbasel stated, it's also distributing a game based on trademarked intellectual property, and JKR has been vocal in the past about how she feels about that sort of thing.

Dude. It was a reward for a kickstarter. It is not behind a pay wall. It is an exclusive for those who took part in the kickstarter. They have been kind in allowing people to participate long after the kickstarter has concluded. They could have chosen not to do so.

10 hours ago, Daeglan said:

Dude. It was a reward for a kickstarter. It is not behind a pay wall. It is an exclusive for those who took part in the kickstarter. They have been kind in allowing people to participate long after the kickstarter has concluded. They could have chosen not to do so.

I think kind is a strong word. They’re continuing to profit after the Kickstarter, so it’s beneficial for them financially to keep selling the vault access.

It is behind a pay wall. They are allowing people who did not participate in the Kickstarter pay to gain access to a website, by charging them $30. The website that needs a username and password. That is a pay wall.

They’re playing with fire, JKR has made it clear her opinion on RPGs and people profiting from her IP. That’s not even addressing the copyright issues from the images in the book from the Warner Brothers movies.

If JKR’s management gets word of this I don’t think it would end well. The best thing to do is to post it without any type of charge, and remove copyrighted images to be safe.

Edited by Imbasel

10 minutes ago, Imbasel said:

I think kind is a strong word. They’re continuing to profit after the Kickstarter, so it’s beneficial for them financially to keep selling the vault access.

It is behind a pay wall. They are allowing people who did not participate in the Kickstarter pay to gain access to a website, by charging them $30. The website that needs a username and password. That is a pay wall.

They’re playing with fire, JKR has made it clear her opinion on RPGs and people profiting from her IP. That’s not even addressing th copyright issues from the images in the book from the Warner Brothers movies.

If JKR’s management gets word of this I don’t think it would end well. The best thing to do is to post it without any type of charge, and remove copyrighted images to be safe.

Which to me indicates you already have it and are raising a.stink needlessly.

9 hours ago, Daeglan said:

Which to me indicates you already have it and are raising a.stink needlessly.

Thank you for fundamentally ignoring all of the points raised behind the pay wall and legal issues with its use.

Ultimately, the issue is the payment required to gain acesss. I’ve seen a lot of people on multiple forums and chats discuss wanting to see the Harry Potter creation.

However, there are people who can’t afford it, it can’t be previewed either so they don’t know what they’re getting exactly. 

I’m not raising a stink needlessly. They’re engaging in questionable, at best, legal activity. They’re also profiting off of JKR’s IP while making the HP Genesys unavailable to those that cannot afford to pay $30 at the moment.

The fact that it will be released for free, at some point in the future, doesn’t change its current IP issues or how low-income gamers may not be able to afford it. Something which should be free not just in the future, but now.

Edited by Imbasel

42 minutes ago, Imbasel said:

Thank you for fundamentally ignoring all of the points raised behind the pay wall and legal issues with its use.

Ultimately, the issue is the payment required to gain acesss. I’ve seen a lot of people on multiple forums and chats discuss wanting to see the Harry Potter creation.

However, there are people who can’t afford it, it can’t be previewed either so they don’t know what they’re getting exactly. 

I’m not raising a stink needlessly. They’re engaging in questionable, at best, legal activity. They’re also profiting off of JKR’s IP while making the HP Genesys unavailable to those that cannot afford to pay $30 at the moment.

The fact that it will be released for free, at some point in the future, doesn’t change its current IP issues or how low-income gamers may not be able to afford it. Something which should be free not just in the future, but now.

Only if you are unwilling to wait. As you have been told multiple times. Pay to get access now to multiple different products now. Or dont pay and wait for it to be released for free in a couple months. 

Edited by Daeglan

27 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

Only if you are unwilling to wait. As you have been told multiple times. Pay to get access now to multiple different products now. Or dont pay and wait for it to be released for free in a couple months. 

Also, as you’ve been told multiple times what they’re doing is legally questionable at best. You’ve consistently avoided answering that topic on here.

If you’re so confident that it’s fine why don’t you send JKR’s team the information, and how it’s behind a pay wall? 

You’re either not understanding or not caring about the HP part of the pay wall. Yes, there are multiple products there. However, HP is inextricably tied to the $30. It’s illegal to take another IP and use it to profit without permission of the holder of said IP.

What they are doing is fair use. They are not charging for the product. They are charging for access to a vault of many items one of which is harry potter. They are not charging for harry potter. They arent charging for any of it. You are just whining because you dont get access as soon as others

3 hours ago, Daeglan said:

What they are doing is fair use. They are not charging for the product. They are charging for access to a vault of many items one of which is harry potter. They are not charging for harry potter. They arent charging for any of it. You are just whining because you dont get access as soon as others

Sorry but you dont understand the legal issues.

If you put whatever items behind a paywall and you say the money is only for access to the paywall, you are still making money off the items put behind the paywall.

And especially if the items contain copyrighted material it is still pirating in US and EU jurisdictions.

6 hours ago, Daeglan said:

You are incorrectly applying the legal definition of fair use.

I’m not whining because of lack of access. I’m deeply concerned that what they’re doing is:

A. Immoral as they’re profiting off of JK’s IP       B. Illegal as they are charging for the product without permission of JK. 

As has been stated they are making money off of JK’s IP. They are risking a lot by doing this. Even if it is released for free at a later point. 

They could still be sued for profiting off of the paywall in connection to Harry Potter. They could be nice and just issue a cease and desist order.

Or JK’s lawyers could go after the money and take them to court. That’s not a fight they would win.