Sheriff Sam Rye

Star Trek as a Setting

My girlfriend picked me up Genesys for Valentine's day and I'm gonna run a Star Trek setting with it.  Any pointers on where to start? I'm gonna use a Star Trek Adventures module to start out and then start home brewing once we come into the feel we want.  I am looking for ideas/resources to make the setting work well. I saw the Sci Fi armory, but am looking for other advice. I did a one shot with SWRPG and my group liked it a lot.  Due to the large number of possible races I'm just having people pick the race they want. I then am going to give a stat that seems to make sense a 3 and move an appropriate weak stat to a 1. Unless they want a standard stat block of all 2's.  For exp and derived stats I was going to see if I could find another race/archtype in the setting and use those.  I did a forum search and haven't seen a topic on this yet. Any cool ideas are appreciated.

The biggest issue you're going to run into IMO is gear -- assuming you're playing Starfleet, characters don't really buy their own stuff, and what they do start with is ridiculously powerful. A phaser that isn't on stun is pretty much always a one-hit-kill. Like, Breach 1, damage 20 or something. Shootouts in Star Trek are ridiculously deadly, and the only reason main characters make it through 7 TV seasons is because of plot armor. I don't think it's an un-circumvent-able issue, but it's something to consider.

I'm going to run a Star Trek campaign as well shortly.  I'm going to make a few races but basically told everyone if they find a piece of art, or have an idea for a species we will make it happen.  I don't  plan on making tons of CHARGEN content that they won't use. 

Similar to how I did my fantasy setting I brainstormed 'career' ideas, they picked and I only made those up.  I didn't wait on Genesys for the fantasy setting though and made career/race trees for my fantasy game.  For Star Trek I will open it up a bit more using the Genesys approach, but I will make lists of Talents that are or aren't available to certain career paths.  For the races in fantasy I also made a Talent tree as well so someone could've just played 'a dwarf' and been completely effective in the game.  For Star Trek I will likely add a series of Talents of different tiers to the races that players can buy if they like as they advance, as opposed to trees.

For settings it will be the original series time frame.  I am using the Vanguard books for a campaign idea, but tweaked with my own stuff drawing on other sources.  I am going to have the players start at the academy. 

They don't know it yet, but CHARGEN is going to be a little different, they are going to start with just their races and backgrounds and then we are going to have a session or two at the academy.  I am coming up with scenarios they will have to do skill checks for like academic tests, physical stuff like an obstacle course using the chase rules and rolling against one another in a race, and of course the Kobyashi Maru.  I also sent them my own historical backgrounder for Earth and the foundation of the Federation, they don't know it yet but they're going to get an actual quiz and how well they do on that (or not) will determine some Difficulty levels.

For phaser's stun setting I am still fleshing it out, but it's going to be something like the Bolas in Star Wars.  I'm not handling it as a 'burn down' their Strain pool option, but as a weapon effect that will have a combo effect possibility like the Bolas depending on how well you roll.  I don't concern myself with how powerful weapons are or aren't in Star Trek or any other genre, because all genre's apply plot armor to characters.

I'm adding to the ship rules a bit, have some ideas for damage control and casualties during ship combat, as well as using Strain as 'ship's power' that will be used for activating systems, so fixing that Strain pool every round will be the engineer's job #1 through #10, "I need main power!"

I was thinking this would be a good Genesys setting too. The only contribution I can add however is that HeroClix have released Star Trek clix, so if you want TOS-era Starfleet officers and Klingons then you have minis aplenty through that avenue.

What time period are you going to use? STO specifically states that current-era bridge officers and captains are expected to wear armor and use a personal energy shield, specifically because of how deadly energy weapons are. If not in that era, I suggest following the series suggestions: red shirts die horribly, but anyone of any value (PCs, Rivals, Nemesis) are instead attacked to disable, not kill, because negotiations are a huge thing in Star Trek, unless you're Borg, Breen or Hirogen.

Indiana, gear was something I was thinking would be tough as well given that they would be outfitted. I might pick up the star wars adventures book to see how they handle it.  Part of me wants to tell my players not to expect great as a motivator unless they can think up specific gadgets. I planned on playing post Voyager largely so I can just make stuff up without worrying about breaking cannon for my players that're all bigger trekkies that me. That's for all your input!

I am setting up a Star Trek Genesys game also. I am basing a lot of the gear choices off of Star Trek Adventures, because I want to run a Star Trek Adventures game, but I hate the Modiphius' 2d20 system. I am basing the weapons off of various gear from the Genesys sample settings. Like a Phaser type-1 is simply a laser pistol from the Science Fiction setting example, and I added a Stun setting

Gear in Star Trek probably should be downplayed especially as rewards since in modern Trek nearly everything can be replicated, so all common gear should be 100% available as long as the characters have access to a replicator. Restricted gear like Romulan Ale or a Dominion plasma rifle could be used as motivators for gear. Combat probably should be downplayed a lot too since Star Trek combat (remakes, and Discovery notwithstanding) in most Star Trek battles even when the enemies start shooting at the officers, they stop and try to talk instead of shooting until the enemies are all dead.

My campaign is also post-Voyager so I am adding in the option for players to play freed borg drones (based off of biodroids in the cyberpunk example), and toying with the idea of adding holographic crew members with mobile emitters (basically robots from sci-fi but without wounds, only strain). Otherwise most of the rules can be lifted from the existing sci-fi setting example, space opera setting example, and ship rules.

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:12 AM, Sheriff Sam Rye said:

My girlfriend picked me up Genesys for Valentine's day and I'm gonna run a Star Trek setting with it. 

And what an amazing and thoughtful girlfriend you have to pick that up for you, I wouldn't be letting her go if I was you! :D