HolySorcerer

Threat Tracker any good?

Now that the Silencer has been out for a while I'm wondering if anybody has had any luck with using Threat Tracker.  It's an interesting upgrade, but I just can't see it being more useful than it's competition, especially at its cost.  That said, I've never used it, and would like to hear from those of you who have first hand experience with it.

21 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Eh. Advanced Optics is better.

10 minutes ago, RampancyTW said:

I think it's fairly costed, but also outclassed by other tech choices.  Situationally, it's AMAZING, and absolutely worth the points.  Its use is so niche, though, that it gets ignored for other, more consistent options.

These were my impressions as well. 

Edited by HolySorcerer

in the current meta (coordinate at PS11) this works really well

First Order Test Pilot (29)
Push the Limit (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
Threat Tracker (3)
Autothrusters (2)

ain’t cheap but you can fit two with support bomber or Sabbac/Countdown

Short answer: No

Long answer: its not good

Basically it costs to much, and is hampered by TL range restrictions. If it costed 0pts then i would use it instead of an empty tech slot. However even at 0pts its still outclassed by several other tech options. 

3pts to move your boost/br action to another phase with several crushing restrictions is just not worth it. I have tried it a couple of times and each time was horribly disappointed. If they made it 0pts or removed the spending of the target lock it would be useful.

I've had reasonable success with it on Kylo with VI and FCS. The ability to shoot a fat turret at range 1 and then BR to range 2 and out of arc of the ships chasing you is pretty good. It is a much more situational upgrade, but I've had fun with it in the few games I've used it.

9 hours ago, Kieransi said:

Oooh... might have to try that!

As a 'pocket ace', try Zeta Ace with Threat Tracker and Intensity. Aim for range 1-2, and target lock as your action, and it's a real "where the [censored] did he go?!?!?!?" effect as a ship which parks with him square-and-centre at range 1 suddenly finds him shooting at them from range 1, focused, and outside their arc.

It's obviously a trick with limited value against a primary weapon turret, but against anyone with a blind spot, whether arc or range, it makes him unfeasibly hard to get a clean shot at. 

Note that much like Omega Leader, though, because his gimmick is target lock based, (a) Black One is very bad ju-ju and (b) he's in deep trouble if asked to deal with multiple threats simultaneously.

It's one reason I like the recent spate of tech; it's made a lot of the TIE/fo pilots who aren't Omega Leader worth looking at. Omega Ace with Advanced Optics and either Swarm Leader or Opportunist is brutal, too, whilst Epsilon Ace with Advanced Optics is cheap and annoying as heck for anyone trying to play the I'm-PS9-and-Veteran-Instincts-so-I-win game.

For that matter, on the Resistance side I kind of want to try Blue Ace with Primed Thrusters and Flight Assist Astromech, too. A free 90' without giving up your action is some nasty ability to duck and weave, regardless of your pilot skill.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

I've flown Kylo with PTL, threat tracker, title, FCS & thrusters.

Its quite good.  You don't even care if you are lower Pilot Skill, because it really shines in the late game (and you've already got your target lock by then if you know what you're doing).  You then can arc-dodge in the combat phase, so it doesn't matter what your opponent does (just as long as you don't get arc-dodged, but again, you have to be able to predict these things).

So in other words, its very situational, requires a lot of experience at predicting enemy moves + repositions and has a very high risk/reward aspect to it.  This means ultimately, for most people it will feel inferior to other options.  However, I think its fairly costed, because its incredibly powerful when you are able to use it, but it feels a bit weak against turrets where it matters less (although it can still be useful, but just less often).

At the end of the day though, Kylo is not 'super competitive' right now, no matter how you build him.  So if you take him for casual games, then the Threat Tracker build is absolutely great.  If you are dead-set on using him competitively (even though you probably aren't going to place well), then the PTL + advanced sensors is much easier to fly and less taxing mentally over the course of a long tournament day compared to Threat Tracker.

Edited by blade_mercurial

6 minutes ago, Viktus106 said:

Would Threat Tracker be better with a VI + FCS + TT + AT Kylo?

You move and fire at PS11, they return fire, you trigger TT and barrel roll out of arc?

also, can you push the limit off TT?

Yes, it's an action.  As long as you're not stressed and you've not used PTL this round already, it's fine.

It sounds amazing in theory.  Stick it on a high PS ace with access to Fire Control System and avoid taking return fire with combat phase repositioning.  We're all Turr Phennir now.

...however...

It's usuage presupposes that you haven't already used repositioning actions in the activation phase, aren't stressed and are facing fixed-arc opponents.  It also doesn't help against turrets (although it might help you donut Dash or TLTs).  And it's up against the far less situational (and cheaper) Advanced Optics for the Tech slot.

It's great when it comes off, though.

9 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

As a 'pocket ace', try Zeta Ace with Threat Tracker and Intensity. Aim for range 1-2, and target lock as your action, and it's a real "where the [censored] did he go?!?!?!?" effect as a ship which parks with him square-and-centre at range 1 suddenly finds him shooting at them from range 1, focused, and outside their arc.

It's obviously a trick with limited value against a primary weapon turret, but against anyone with a blind spot, whether arc or range, it makes him unfeasibly hard to get a clean shot at. 

Note that much like Omega Leader, though, because his gimmick is target lock based, (a) Black One is very bad ju-ju and (b) he's in deep trouble if asked to deal with multiple threats simultaneously.

It's one reason I like the recent spate of tech; it's made a lot of the TIE/fo pilots who aren't Omega Leader worth looking at. Omega Ace with Advanced Optics and either Swarm Leader or Opportunist is brutal, too, whilst Epsilon Ace with Advanced Optics is cheap and annoying as heck for anyone trying to play the I'm-PS9-and-Veteran-Instincts-so-I-win game.

For that matter, on the Resistance side I kind of want to try Blue Ace with Primed Thrusters and Flight Assist Astromech, too. A free 90' without giving up your action is some nasty ability to duck and weave, regardless of your pilot skill.

Yeah, about a month ago, at a casual night I flew against a list that had like five different TIE/FO's in it. The guy who was flying it is a much better pilot than I am, but after we played several matches, we decided that it still just wasn't possible for him to beat my Rey/Poe list, so I'm just guessing that for the most part, the TIE/FO's are still somewhat relegated to casual play. But if the trend of fun new techs continue, we might start to see more and more of them! Like the T-65 X-Wing, the TIE/FO pilots have the absolute best pilot abilities, so if they get more stuff that helps out the chassis, there might be some really fun lists around them!

As a side note, I really want FFG to publish a list telling us officially which ones of the TIE/FO named pilots did which things in the movie... That way there's more theme/backstory for them.