Amanal

Painting 101

10 hours ago, Ghost Dancer said:

Great guide.

One point about the glue: I'm sure I read that the rules recommend superglue (rather than plastic glues). 

I think you're right. I don't know that these are polystyrene, so plastic cement many not work. Has anyone with a demo set confirmed?

34 minutes ago, player2801864 said:

Any suggestions on magnifying headsets? I bought a cheap magnifying glass thing on Amazon and it's not as useful as I'd like.

I use this one.

I have an absolutely enormous skull and this one fits overtop of a baseball hat which I usually wear so the headset doesn't get too squishy. Not sure if the pinching that I feel is something that someone with a normal sized head would deal with. :P 

It's a fairly nice kit at a reasonable price, and has 4 different lens options. Not sure if this is the one you already got, but this one has served me well enough.

On 2/21/2018 at 12:28 PM, player2801864 said:

Any suggestions on magnifying headsets? I bought a cheap magnifying glass thing on Amazon and it's not as useful as I'd like.

I just bought some cheap reading glasses, the kind in the RX section of Walmart etc. I took a mini and tried a few and went with the 2.5x. I have one desk lamp, need a second, with a LED natural bulb in it. To me the light matters as much if not more than the magnification.

Edited by Cusm

33 minutes ago, Cusm said:

I just bought some cheap reading glasses, the kind in the RX section of Walmart etc. I took a mini and tried a few and went with the 2.5x. I have one desk lamp, need a second, with a LED natural bulb in it. To me the light matters as more than the magnification.

I bought an LED desklamp about a year ago and can't believe I ever painted anything without it! Definitely recommend some type of lamp with either daylight setting or bulb.

My dentist recommended a surgeon's head set. It can take prescription lenses, magnifies and illuminates. But you won't find that it comes cheep.

I tried a magnifying glass on a tripod, and it just got in the way.

3 hours ago, KalEl814 said:

Anyway as it pertains to painting, I think something really important for beginners to realize is that at tabletop distance, almost anything looks way better than bare plastic. The second group of minis I painted in adulthood was a Stormtrooper squad for IA. I’ve gotten a lot better since then, and I refer to that batch of Stormies as “Derp Squad.” They don’t look super great upon close inspection. The blacks are kinda grey, the shading is a little dodgy, and I somehow managed to paint helmeted figures in such a way that they look cross eyed. But they still look rad in combat and look MUCH better than they did out of the box. Just lean into it!

Yes, I feel that when you are painting 4" away from the thing and make mistakes they stand out to you. You know the brush slipped as you painted that part and it got on that part and OMG how terrible does it look. Right? But from 4' away no one notices and unless someone picks up that exact models and holds it 2" away from their nose they'll never notice.

All too often the perfect model escapes us, and often in the effort to get perfect we make the model worse or make so much effort on what detail is there it doesn't work. Quite often as you paint more and more detail you  end up making a mistake that drives you nuts in any case.

In general I find one area done very nicely can make a model pop. Which is why I added the bit on layering to the face.

7 hours ago, Skyguard said:

Other thoughts you didn't cover dry brushing that I saw.

I thought about it but I find except for here and there I use it much less.

I like layering far more as you put the paint right where you want.

24 minutes ago, Amanal said:

In general I find one area done very nicely can make a model pop. Which is why I added the bit on layering to the face.

Yeah, this is a great point. When I was starting off I was really worried about "over highlighting." I was worried that stuff would come out too bright, or too light. I've learned to really lean into that for the reason you mentioned. In hindsight, the figures I highlighted "too much" are the ones that pop during play. Those little details, or the little illusion of shadow / light really do draw your attention, especially at gaming distance. And then something almost imperceptible, like the Rebel logo I did on Fenn Signis's sleeve, only come into focus when you pick him up and focus on him. Some nice contrasting "details" at different distances.