Sign in to follow this  
themightyhedgehog

FYI Raddus is good

Just played a game as sloane vs raddus.  He had profundity drop a RLB Garels Honor on me, Hondo's a squad command... from just about halfway across the board.  He was able to get Gold squad not engaged with my fighters.  Gold goes with the squad token, hit ac, one to the front.  Hammerhead front goes, gets a red acc, blue crit, black hit, rolls con fire blue gets a acc, blows ex racks for a crit hit, crit hit.  6 damage out the front, no defense tokens.  I pull a structural and down goes the quasar... 

Now I know the quasar is squishy, and he was rolling hot... but dag nabbit... I didn't think the nesting doll trick was that good...

I had a Profundity drop Garel's Honor me during the tournament.  It wasn't raddus, so I was a little more ready for it.  Sadly for Graham, it did just about nothing, and then my MC-75 immediately blew it to smithereens.  I think it can be great for squishy stuff, but it can whiff badly too.

In my first game, there was a nasty drop of a MC80L that took out my Frigate.  I wish I had played around with Raddus to have confidence to bring him.  He is just such a game changer.  

23 minutes ago, BrobaFett said:

It's super good! Raddus is a definite winner now that his strong points are starting to show more obviously. If you are good at deployment, you are gonna have a good time with Raddus.

This is the truth.  I played a game last night with Raddus as my commander.  Turn 3 I dropped the Aspiration (Lando, ExRacks, ACM, ECM and ???) in the front arc of an ISD-II back just far enough that it couldn't move anywhere.  Take the hit, double arc it back to completely strip shields, then tore it apart on the next turn.  I'm not entirely sure what the counter-play to that is.

10 minutes ago, JauntyChapeau said:

This is the truth.  I played a game last night with Raddus as my commander.  Turn 3 I dropped the Aspiration (Lando, ExRacks, ACM, ECM and ???) in the front arc of an ISD-II back just far enough that it couldn't move anywhere.  Take the hit, double arc it back to completely strip shields, then tore it apart on the next turn.  I'm not entirely sure what the counter-play to that is.

That's the issue, when you can get a drop like that there is no longer any counter play available. The only counter play is preventing that drop from happening.

2 minutes ago, BrobaFett said:

That's the issue, when you can get a drop like that there is no longer any counter play available. The only counter play is preventing that drop from happening.

This- when you see that much beatdown get set aside, it's time to use whatever squads you brought to screen your face-zone against Raddus so at least you don't get boxed in this way.

15 minutes ago, OlaphOfTheNorth said:

This- when you see that much beatdown get set aside, it's time to use whatever squads you brought to screen your face-zone against Raddus so at least you don't get boxed in this way.

That's something I've been thinking about a lot actually. Doesn't the card read that what ship is being dropped can't be deployed to overlap squads? Seems like if you see the Raddus ship headed your way you better get your squads out there to limit where that ship can drop. Haven't had a chance to test this counter at all as we just got the Profundity into circulation yesterday but in theory it should work????

2 hours ago, SgtDurandal said:

That's something I've been thinking about a lot actually. Doesn't the card read that what ship is being dropped can't be deployed to overlap squads? Seems like if you see the Raddus ship headed your way you better get your squads out there to limit where that ship can drop. Haven't had a chance to test this counter at all as we just got the Profundity into circulation yesterday but in theory it should work????

If you have the squads it does work and directs where that ship can go.  Also the use of other smaller ships to choke up the drop zone is another tactic that I saw at a tournament recently.

6 minutes ago, Palanthas said:

If you have the squads it does work and directs where that ship can go.  Also the use of other smaller ships to choke up the drop zone is another tactic that I saw at a tournament recently.

How'd the Regionals in Omaha go? If you have the time I'd love to read a breakdown of what went down in the Batrep forum.

Just now, SgtDurandal said:

How'd the Regionals in Omaha go? If you have the time I'd love to read a breakdown of what went down in the Batrep forum.

Sure I'll type it up.  Overall not bad got 7th with my revised ISD killing list that didn't see a single ISD all day.  Ended the day with 19 points and first had 25 so I chalk it up to a successful outing for me. 

21 hours ago, BrobaFett said:

And squads are the only hard counter - wait for the likely Raddus drop to move, put squads in place to deny drop positions.

On 2/20/2018 at 9:39 AM, BrobaFett said:

It's super good! Raddus is a definite winner now that his strong points are starting to show more obviously. If you are good at deployment, you are gonna have a good time with Raddus.

I'm starting to figure out some counters, but yeah he's incredibly annoying and powerful.

On 21/02/2018 at 5:06 AM, JauntyChapeau said:

When you say you placed so you had the double arc but it couldnt move anywhere - was he too slow and no nav command? 

51 minutes ago, themightyhedgehog said:

Probably placed just right to block the movement.  Fairly easy to do, especially if its speed one or 2 and no nav token.

See normally if it was my isd i would be fairly confident that i could get out of that with a nav command but i think i will try it out!

9 hours ago, Ophion said:

See normally if it was my isd i would be fairly confident that i could get out of that with a nav command but i think i will try it out!

Prior to UK Nationals I did some testing to see if an ISD could dodge another ISD (i.e. BT Avenger) sat in front of it and came to the conclusion that, without Jerjerrod, it was virtually impossible. Therefore I decided to run Defiance instead as I tested out that in most positions (if it was perpendicular to the ISD) it could either arc dodge round the ISD with Engine Techs or dodge away and stay just out of black range ready to arc dodge in the next turn.  

18 hours ago, Vae said:

Prior to UK Nationals I did some testing to see if an ISD could dodge another ISD (i.e. BT Avenger) sat in front of it and came to the conclusion that, without Jerjerrod, it was virtually impossible. Therefore I decided to run Defiance instead as I tested out that in most positions (if it was perpendicular to the ISD) it could either arc dodge round the ISD with Engine Techs or dodge away and stay just out of black range ready to arc dodge in the next turn.  

Yeah i am probably complacent because jerry is my go to. Still, the mc75 will be trying to dual arc which should provide a gap.

8 hours ago, Ophion said:

Yeah i am probably complacent because jerry is my go to. Still, the mc75 will be trying to dual arc which should provide a gap.

When you are talking two large bases, if you place right in the front, slightly offset you should be able to block the ability to get out of the way for at least one turn.  Even with a speed 3 and one extra click most times you just can't get out of there in one turn.  Jerry or Madine could do it, though. 

Flew my Cymoon Vader fleet against Raddus today. With the Corona to my back I attempted to fly Vader’s flagship wide and entice a drop early on my left flank with my D-Cap HIEs Raiders covering the inside. He didn’t go for the bait and instead dropped his 75 and Ex Racks Hammerhead on the inside flank against my speed ONE Raiders on turn TWO (that threat range is ungodly). Goodbye to one Raider before it could fire (hammerhead ram to finish it). Second Raider unloaded its payload on the 75 doing 7 total damage with HIEs but then being forced into range of his heavy guns. Goodbye second Raider. 

Vader took out the Hammer, a GR75 and took the 75 to 2 health, but Profundity escaped. I didn’t loose Avenger, but everything else—stupid H9 Admo. I need to figure out a better deployment to deal with the long range Hammerhead drop. That nesting doll is mean.