hengst2404

Range and Combat

I apologize if this is a dumb questions. How does range impact combat? Specifically, can spells and firearms be used from one square away from an enemy if they are in range? What about bladed weapons? In most RPGs this is easily addressed as you need to be right on the bad guy for melee and further away (ideally) for range fighters. 

No dumb questions here (maybe dumb answers from me though). Close combat weapons like blunt and bladed are used in the same space, ranged weapons and ranged spells (the gun symbol), can be used up to 3 spaces in line of sight if I remember correctly. It's described always as "within range" so same space counts too, as it's within range. No shooting bending corners or through doors and walls, unless a specific effect allows it. 

Edited by Juan4aigle

Okay, just making sure, thematically and realistically it makes sense. I won last night using a spell from one square away and while driving home I wondered about it, as we have never actually bothered using our weapons from range.

16 hours ago, Juan4aigle said:

ranged weapons and ranged spells (the gun symbol), can be used up to 3 spaces in line of sight if I remember correctly. It's described always as "within range" so same space counts too, as it's within range. No shooting bending corners or through doors and walls, unless a specific effect allows it. 

Everything's correct except there's no concept of "line of sight" in this game.

7 minutes ago, tsuma534 said:

Everything's correct except there's no concept of "line of sight" in this game.

You know what, as I typed it I was wondering about it. I had a look in the manual and I couldn't find it, just like you said, but I have the feeling I have read somewhere that range cannot be calculated bending corners and so on. Maybe I imagined it, or I thought it just made sense :S 

In any case, I wonder if anyone has seen anything about it as well or I'm just crazy (or shall I say insane condition). 

On 2018/02/21 at 12:33 PM, Juan4aigle said:

You know what, as I typed it I was wondering about it. I had a look in the manual and I couldn't find it, just like you said, but I have the feeling I have read somewhere that range cannot be calculated bending corners and so on. Maybe I imagined it, or I thought it just made sense :S 

In any case, I wonder if anyone has seen anything about it as well or I'm just crazy (or shall I say insane condition). 

You can shoot around corners, when the map has those long joining hallways.  But you can't shoot through walls or doors. Range is 3 spaces in any direction, even around corners. This only counts for ranged spells and guns (look for the symbol of a pistol or the words 'within range').  If its a knife symbol or doesn't specify within range, you have to be in the same square.  You do get ranged and melee spells...

Edited by neosmagus
Typo, can't instead of can

On 3/26/2018 at 11:26 AM, neosmagus said:

You can shoot around corners, when the map has those long joining hallways.  But you can shoot through walls or doors. Range is 3 spaces in any direction, even around corners. This only counts for ranged spells and guns (look for the symbol of a pistol or the words 'within range').  If its a knife symbol or doesn't specify within range, you have to be in the same square.  You do get ranged and melee spells...

I thought you couldn't shoot through doors?

This is a board game, not a tactical combat simulation. For this grade of complexity it is better to have one abstract rule that covers ranged combat, area of effect, room size, monster targeting and more, even if sometimes this leads to strange results. Time is also strange in the game — walking across the hall into the opposite room takes exactly as long as reading dozens of diary pages, picking up an item, learning a magic spell, questioning a subject or finding the secret door code… ?

The Poison Mist spell can let you attack an adjacent space, so in all technicality you can attack through open doors just not walls. Gives a bit more tactical advantage to spell casters that sit by doorways.

3 hours ago, Husker949 said:

The Poison Mist spell can let you attack an adjacent space, so in all technicality you can attack through open doors just not walls. Gives a bit more tactical advantage to spell casters that sit by doorways.

Yep.  I just imagine that the Poison Mist is seeping under the door (much like light going under the door, explaining why Light Sources work through doors).