Averagejo3gam3r

Line of Sight Laser Pointer

I've seen it in a couple streams/videos now.  It's a small laser pointer that people use to verify line of sight.  But my googling skills are failing me.  Could anyone that has this link the product so I can take a look?  I always struggle with measuring line of sight so I figure this will help.

I'll say that it might be helpful, but it's really hard to target and see the right corners with it and thus, also really hard to actually measure anything useful with it, imo.

23 minutes ago, IamtheBendu said:

try a hardware store as well. Harbor freight has one for about $4. look near the circular saws. usually sold as a magnetic laser to keep cuts straight. 

Beware these though.  A friend of mine got one for xwing that had a curved laser.

I find this one the best. I saw this ad on ebay, but that's the one I would recommend. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gaming-Miniature-Laser-Imperial-Assault-X-Wing-Armada-Warhammer-Malifaux-Mount/112822135054?hash=item1a44b9290e:g:BQ0AAOSw-zxWo7be

When you click the button, the laser stays on, which is great.

I've been told they're $10 USD in hardware stores in the USA, but mine was given to be by an American friend. 

On 2/20/2018 at 7:10 AM, NeverBetTheFett said:

I find this one the best. I saw this ad on ebay, but that's the one I would recommend. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gaming-Miniature-Laser-Imperial-Assault-X-Wing-Armada-Warhammer-Malifaux-Mount/112822135054?hash=item1a44b9290e:g:BQ0AAOSw-zxWo7be

When you click the button, the laser stays on, which is great.

I've been told they're $10 USD in hardware stores in the USA, but mine was given to be by an American friend. 

These are the ones that harbor freight sells for $5.  Funny they want $20.

Edited by chrisrivers
Grammar

I try to never use a laser with IA - Just use the idea of defining a 'triangle of visible area':

1. Find the most obtrusive obstacle between you and your target.  A wall or another figure - whatever is giving you the MOST trouble...
  2. Draw a line from the most 'helpful' (the best chance for a clear shot) corner of your space to the corner of that obstacle you can see around.
  3. That line is the hypotenuse of your triangle.  Count how many spaces over and up defines that triangle (2x1, 3x6, etc).
  4. Now that you know the size of the triangle, visualize that same size triangle, but starting at the same corner of the obstacle and going toward the enemy.
  5. If you can find 1 enemy corner inside that triangle, you have line of sight to that corner.
  6. Normally the another corner will be obviously in LoS at this point, but if not, then just repeat the same process using the most obtrusive obstacle on the OTHER side...

It sounds more complicated than it is - really just basic shapes/geometry.  Way more reliable than trying to line up a laser, and much quicker...

5 minutes ago, macmastermind said:

I try to never use a laser with IA - Just use the idea of defining a 'triangle of visible area':

1. Find the most obtrusive obstacle between you and your target.  A wall or another figure - whatever is giving you the MOST trouble...
  2. Draw a line from the most 'helpful' (the best chance for a clear shot) corner of your space to the corner of that obstacle you can see around.
  3. That line is the hypotenuse of your triangle.  Count how many spaces over and up defines that triangle (2x1, 3x6, etc).
  4. Now that you know the size of the triangle, visualize that same size triangle, but starting at the same corner of the obstacle and going toward the enemy.
  5. If you can find 1 enemy corner inside that triangle, you have line of sight to that corner.
  6. Normally the another corner will be obviously in LoS at this point, but if not, then just repeat the same process using the most obtrusive obstacle on the OTHER side...

It sounds more complicated than it is - really just basic shapes/geometry.  Way more reliable than trying to line up a laser, and much quicker...

Counting Method is also what I use. It's simple, and I can always see what I can see. I've considered picking up a laser just for tournament games to easily prove to the opponent that I have line of sight. I know I have LoS, but have had situations where players didn't believe me and couldn't see it themselves.

...but have had situations where players didn't believe me and couldn't see it themselves.

Yeah, I've been surprised by this too.  I try to step them through it; like, 'so, I have LoS to this corner, right?  So that's a 2x3 box, so I've got from here to here, then to here and then to this corner - and I've clearly got this corner, so I'm good right?

Normally, they can see it, but not always.  I do hate it when they say, 'ok man whatever you say'.  Feel like I'm getting a begrudged LoS ruling.  lol

9 minutes ago, macmastermind said:

I do hate it when they say, 'ok man whatever you say'.  Feel like I'm getting a begrudged LoS ruling.  lol

Yup. usually someone around will have one, or the TO can come in to clear it up. it would just be faster to pull the laser out to let them see immediately and we can go on.

I should have prefaced my post with the following fact:

I suck at determining line of sight.

I'm not sure why something seemingly so simple causes me confusion. Maybe I should have paid more attention in algebra class?

I have found that the people who count squares often seem unsure. So, it makes me a little unsure. Whenever I do challenge, all I ask for is a strong attempt to show that you have line of sight, or vice versa. Once the decision is made, I accept it and move on. In saying that, I don't find it's a major issue very often. It's one thing I love about this game is that attack parameters are pretty precise. 

Edited by NeverBetTheFett

Ok, saw it on my phone.

Yeah, so you've got a 1x4 (lower dotted line) till you hit the red line obstacle.  Then one more 1x4 gets you to that first corner of the enemy.  You have a 1x5 to the upper obstacle (the wall), and your enemy corner is only 1x4 away from that (upper dotted line).  You can actually see the back wall of the map on that line...

See, I'd find it almost impossible to prove line of sight here with a laser unless you had a way to set it down on the table with a tripod or something - because you can't constantly check both sides, and the laser travels no matter how careful you are...

Edited by macmastermind
more details

11 minutes ago, macmastermind said:

Ok, saw it on my phone.

Yeah, so you've got a 1x4 (lower dotted line) till you hit the red line obstacle.  Then one more 1x4 gets you to that first corner of the enemy.  You have a 1x5 to the upper obstacle (the wall), and your enemy corner is only 1x4 away from that (upper dotted line).  You can actually see the back wall of the map on that line...

See, I'd find it almost impossible to prove line of sight here with a laser unless you had a way to set it down on the table with a tripod or something - because you can't constantly check both sides, and the laser travels no matter how careful you are...

Ok. I think I get it. And yes, you're right that sometimes the laser is a fail, especially with shaky hands.

I'd say if the TO is asked to judge a laser call - if they can't call it by counting spaces, there should be a blank map just for the purpose of using a straight-edge to make the call.  Way more reliable if Geometry fails.  :)

The laser is easier in X-Wing because you set it along a specific line (the arc) and you can lock yourself in place.  In IA, because you have to change the angle constantly, it's really hard to lock in...

But yeah, once you figure out the counting method, you'll have trouble not seeing it.  :)

But yeah, once you figure out the counting method, you'll have trouble not seeing it.  :)

I picture you at work in a hooded cloak, like a Jedi. Yet, your powers to see things are sometimes blocked by evil work firewalls. 

The laser is easier in X-Wing because you set it along a specific line (the arc) and you can lock yourself in place.  In IA, because you have to change the angle constantly, it's really hard to lock in...

And as far as x-wing goes, I found using a laser for that a pain in the a-$s too. From so high above the laser line is often thicker than the template line. Then there's the question of whether you move the laser inside or outside of that line, as long as it's still touching. Then some people don't put the line far back enough...grrrr...I can go on and on! One of my biggest frustrations with that game that's contributing to keep me away.