Bhelliom

An Article!

Ouch! I really feel for Rose and blanking out on Ankaur Maro's ranged attack. Why does that seem to always happen to him? Now I'm scarred, and never leave home without Fortuna's Dice.

19 minutes ago, kaffis said:

I felt like the bulk of the article's battle report was narrative trash that was pretty ineffectual at really representing the game to RWM players, but I really liked the part at the beginning and end where they got comments from players newer to the game about what they liked and what they were expecting. I think elements like those are more likely to help convince new players to give it a try than soaring narratives loosely based on the actual gameplay of the battle.

To be fair, a lot of players have been begging for lore, and truly value immersion in their games, so I think it was the right call. I do agree that the comments by the players were valuable, but I think even without detailed discussion of the dials, the flow of battle was easy to follow and engaging to read.

Sorry to be negative, but PLEASE do not emulate gamesworkshop and white dwarf in your battle reports.  Fluff is good, but personally I think a battle report should first describe the game, then pretty it up with fluff.  Especially if you want gamers who are just checking out the game to get interested.  The reading gamer should be able to read the report and get a clear image of the battlefield, unit placement, which unit is advancing and making contact and in the process see how the game mechanics drive the game.    This article, like those in white dwarf, is all about "telling the story" but I really didn't learn anything about the game reading it.  I've been waffling for a year whether or not to buy the game, and this article didn't tell me anything to get me closer to a buy decision.

I'm really not trying to be negative, I just really would like to see well written game reports that tell me more about the game.

Edited by dcgreenwood

8 hours ago, Xelto said:

They have two different flesh ripper models, so I would assume they snagged a couple early expansion packs. Also, the starting map looked odd, being square (not to mention using their rulebook example graphics). I'm assuming a recreation of the actual battle.

I have two different flesh ripper models.  They came that way in the Uthuk box.

It's cool that we got an article. It's nice that it's one in a series too, do wonder where they'll take that. 

It's kinda weird that they didn't break down the turn by turn with graphics to illustrate the motion of the armies. Least when I do AARs it's the pictures that really add to the narrative. 

Uthuk was also an interesting selection for the first article. Given we don't have expansion boxes, pushes the limits of core boxes. I would have thought they might have picked from Latari/Daqan/Waiqar instead. 

40 minutes ago, tgall said:

It's cool that we got an article. It's nice that it's one in a series too, do wonder where they'll take that. 

It's kinda weird that they didn't break down the turn by turn with graphics to illustrate the motion of the armies. Least when I do AARs it's the pictures that really add to the narrative. 

Uthuk was also an interesting selection for the first article. Given we don't have expansion boxes, pushes the limits of core boxes. I would have thought they might have picked from Latari/Daqan/Waiqar instead. 

With Uthuk being the next group of units coming, it isn't that surprising to me.

23 hours ago, magicrealm said:

aehm , yes thats what i meant. 2 trays in one army box, but there are 8 trays in that battle, still 4 game boxes necessary. of course it is all ffg stuff.

The image in the article shows 8 trays of Flesh Rippers but if you read the army list it only has 4 trays in it, two 2-tray units

5 hours ago, Aetheriac said:

With Uthuk being the next group of units coming, it isn't that surprising to me.

Operative word being coming. Not here. They didn't even use the upcoming upgrades.

Uthuk right now are half an army compared to even the Latari. If they were looking to showcase clever play they need to pick armies that have actually been fully released, or be willing to use upgrades that aren't for sale yet.

21 hours ago, Parakitor said:

Or Daqan beating up elves ;).

Maybe I'm a little bitter that Waiqar lost...again.

The thing about Waiqar, though, is no matter how many times you knock him and his minions down, they nust stand back up.