Sign in to follow this  
Ausir

Possible Sheathipede/U-wing fix?

If we look at the Ghost/Fenn-meta you could argue that 4 TLT-shots with Ezra/Maul is overpowered but to me it is the PS11 Coordinate from Fenn that is the problem. If the Ghost is piloted by a Lothal Rebel it will reposition so you can't get into the donut which is rather small considering the Ghosts lethal rear arc would you fail the slighest. If the Ghost is piloted by Kanan you can't block it to deny it focus-tokens as Fenn will just coordinate a focus action. Add to that Fenn's ability to deny tokens spent from one enemy in arc (and with HSCP stripping Poe of his focus) and the Sheathipede's two arcs I have a suggestion. The Sheathipede gets to use either Coordinate or the rear-arc in a game, not both. Then you can still run AP-5 as a cheap support for your aces, or Ezra as a Snap-Stress but Fenn will require atleast a modicum of skill to be as useful as he is now.

Would a title for the U-wing that added the Coordinate action to the bar (without removing the possibilty to use Pivot Wing, like StarViper Mk.II works) make the U-wing viable? Or would it make Heff Tober an overpowered blocker? Or maybe the Jam action?

7 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

On the Sheathipede, no, it doesn't need fixing.  Ghost/Fenn is beatable.  You kill Fenn.  Hard, and first.

Not sure about this.  Often when you build a squad capable of modding it's dice to kill Fenn easily you've built a squad that doesn't need to kill Fenn because it's capable of modding it's dice.

Killing Fenn is still the best option unless you out PS/outbid him, because the boosting Ghost makes its damage much more reliable.

But either way, the point is it's eminently beatable, you just need to practice and adjust tactics.

It's tough with some meta lists, though, but that's always the case with top-meta lists.  It's not broken the way Trajectory Nymulator was.

2 hours ago, Arma Quattro said:

Stop asking for changes and play more

A forum is a place for debating ideas and thought, so all proposal a OK to read and to be discuss.

About those changes, no I don't think transforming the ship this way is a good idea (But I am wondering if the possibility of having both phantom in the same squad was a good idea from the beginning). Better live it this way than nerfing/buffing and creating another monster by accident.

3 hours ago, Arma Quattro said:

Won 100-0 against that list yesterday. 
Stop asking for changes and play more. 

....yay?

1 hour ago, player2422845 said:

A forum is a place for debating ideas and thought, so all proposal a OK to read and to be discuss.

This.

15 minutes ago, Mu0n729 said:

5 autothrusters Alphas and balls of steel?

• Quickdraw 

A Score to Settle
Fire Control System
Special Ops Training
Advanced Optics
Harpoon Missiles
Guidance Chips

• Darth Vader

Tie/X1
Advanced Targeting Computer
Cruise Missiles
Guidance Chips
Juke

• Rho Squadron Veteran

Harpoon Missiles
Deadeye
Extra Munitions
Guidance Chips

4 minutes ago, clanofwolves said:

....yay?

This.

It's actually not the first time I smash ghosts with their (in)decent squadron mates. 
The FennGhost is just more pain in the *** than the others, but it is beatable by devising a good plan and flying accordingly. 
Not asking for fixes or crying for nerfs on a forum, that's not what I call 'debate'. 

3 minutes ago, Arma Quattro said:
  • Not asking for fixes or crying for nerfs on a forum, that's not what I call 'debate'. 

We might have very different ideas of what a debate is.

I see no crying whatsoever in the original post. Ausir defines what he perceives as a problem and then proposes a fix to it. And then invites the reader to discuss further possible fixes. I would definitely label that as constructive criticism  and opening of a debate.

Just now, MrAndersson said:

We might have very different ideas of what a debate is.

I see no crying whatsoever in the original post. Ausir defines what he perceives as a problem and then proposes a fix to it. And then invites the reader to discuss further possible fixes. I would definitely label that as constructive criticism  and opening of a debate.

Just like 923482374981 threads before. <_<

Getting back to topic, I don't think there is a single element that makes the Ghost/Fenn list so good. It's a combination of the high damage output from TLT together with the Ezra/Maul combo, the ability to mitigate so much damage from Sensor Jammer, the Evade action and token stripping and the ability to dodge arcs at PS11.

Personally I think a nerf to TLT would be the best solution, since it would also bring down many other top lists a peg.

4 hours ago, Arma Quattro said:

Won 100-0 against that list yesterday. 
Stop asking for changes and play more. 

your humble-brag aside, forum is for celebration, questions, discussion, and constructive criticizism of the game. 

while I dont agree with the OP they are using the board for its purpose. stay positive

14 minutes ago, MrAndersson said:

Personally I think a nerf to TLT would be the best solution, since it would also bring down many other top lists a peg.

I kindly disagree. Outside of changing the range, Miranda will still profit off TLT based on her pilot ability. And TLT is really just icing on the cake for Nym, he’s really all about bombs, make TLT useless to him and you’ll just find him running ion cannon or syncd turret. (Or ditch the turret altogether) And any major nerf to TLT will catch the Y-wing, Tie aggressor, and Hwk as collateral.  

I think an errata to the ghost title that caps you off at 5 point turrets would be appropriate. So either you get tlt or the double tap, but not both. Or limit to dorsal turret. Or add on Corran Horns restriction to the end. Or force the ghost to spend a shield to perform the second attack. There’s a lot of ways to reign in the ghost without hitting TLT. 

I've suggested this possible solution to a few people and its gotten pretty positive responses, its both thematic as well as a good way to tone down the NPE from TLT ghost with a docked phantom.

A tiny errata to the phantom title that instead of the ghost getting an end of round shot with an equipped turret on the Ghost, it should be a shot at the end of round with a turret equipped to the Phantom.

This would mean that the Ghost would have to use its primary weapon in the main attack phase, or have to equip a whole extra TLT if it wanted to shoot TLTs in the main combat as well as the end phase.

It is also way more thematic that the phantom itself is shooting at the end phase rather than the ghost double tapping.

Just wait till the Uwings (possible) point reduction comes out and (maybe) reduce its cost by two.

people think 5 Xwings may be a good jousting list, but think of all the realestate 5 Uwings could take up, isn't it just magical?

believe in the 5 Uwings, believe in 40 health backed by two evades, believe in taking up 20 ship bases with a single list.

4 hours ago, Quadjumper King said:

Just wait till the Uwings (possible) point reduction comes out and (maybe) reduce its cost by two.

people think 5 Xwings may be a good jousting list, but think of all the realestate 5 Uwings could take up, isn't it just magical?

believe in the 5 Uwings, believe in 40 health backed by two evades, believe in taking up 20 ship bases with a single list.

Generic uwings are 23.