Sign in to follow this  
Squark

Maneuver and Range Tool questions

One pet peeve of mine regarding the coverage of Legion is that I haven't seen a comprehensive look at the range ruler and maneuver tools. With armada, we'd seen the range ruler, and the maneuver tool's clicks are immediately obvious upon looking at. When going through the articles, though, I've never seen the entire range ruler in a picture, and I'm also curious how much range of motion the maneuver tool has. So I thought I'd ask the community a couple of questions about the tools;

-How Long is the range ruler? Is each segment of equal size like X-wing's range ruler, or does it use Armada's more varied range and distance increments?

-How Long is each speed's Maneuver tool, and does the center rotation point significantly affect that speed?

-Is the Maneuver tool free-rotating or click-based like Armada's? If it's free-rotating, what is the maximum angle it can rotate to? If it's click-based, how many clicks are there and what angle is each click (e.g. Each click on the Armada range ruler is 22.5 degrees, since 4 clicks will rotate a ship 90 degrees)?

1 hour ago, Squark said:

Thanks! This helps a fair bit with visualizing how things work. The ambiguity about the maneuver tool in particular was driving me crazy.

It was me as well, which is why once I found references for the bases and the tools I made a spreadsheet. :D

Just to try to head off future questions, the reason the lengths are different based on base size with the same speed is that models are moved from front to back, so they get some additional distance. 

13 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Base size: Speed 1| Speed 2 |Speed 3 

27mm:  4.06 | 6.16 | 8.36

50mm:  4.97 | 7.07 | 9.27

70mm:  5.76 | 7.86 | 10.06

100mm: 6.94 | 9.04 | 11.24

All movements worked out in inches using measurements found on the forum

Wouldn't have the diameter of the Order Token would you? :D

21 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Base size: Speed 1| Speed 2 |Speed 3 

27mm:  4.06 | 6.16 | 8.36

50mm:  4.97 | 7.07 | 9.27

70mm:  5.76 | 7.86 | 10.06

100mm: 6.94 | 9.04 | 11.24

All movements worked out in inches using measurements found on the forum

So they are going with the X-Wing model of speed vs the Armada. That is disappointing. After playing Armada I hate the X-Wing movement. If 2 ships parallel to each other are going speed 2 at the end of movement their fronts should still be even, but in X-Wing the large base ship is full small base forward of the small base ship. 

20 minutes ago, Cusm said:

So they are going with the X-Wing model of speed vs the Armada. That is disappointing. After playing Armada I hate the X-Wing movement. If 2 ships parallel to each other are going speed 2 at the end of movement their fronts should still be even, but in X-Wing the large base ship is full small base forward of the small base ship. 

You're not forced to move your full speed, unless you have a compulsory move. So the AT-ST can move past the joint which you have turned at 60 degrees, but only complete part of that movement, keeping it even with the rest of your forces.

29 minutes ago, Cusm said:

Designing an Armada-style tool to work with multiple sizes of round base would be a very impressive feat of engineering and probably have cost significantly more due to the increased number of moving parts. I suppose they could have gone with square bases, but most ground based games seem to prefer the round base instead unless trays are being used.

Edited by Squark

52 minutes ago, Cusm said:

The table I provided was intended to indicate maximum distance allowed for each speed of movement. As others have stated, you can end your movement anywhere along the movement tool. 

6 hours ago, Undeadguy said:

You're not forced to move your full speed, unless you have a compulsory move. So the AT-ST can move past the joint which you have turned at 60 degrees, but only complete part of that movement, keeping it even with the rest of your forces.

It is cool you don't have to move the full distance. I know this is different with moving a squad on round bases vs a single unit on square base. Ground game the difference in speed between big and little makes more sense, but vehicles traveling the same speed, not so much.

6 hours ago, Undeadguy said:

For ground vehicles (AT-RT & AT-ST) you can also move in reverse.  Since you can move twice in an activation you could back up in one direction then move forward in another.  Not necessarily as efficient as a Pivot but depending on terrain density and what you need to accomplish could be very handy.

12 minutes ago, Scopes said:

In Armada, can you use a navigate order or card ability to click the Maneuver Tool beyond the values for a ship as given on the ship card? 

Just so you know, this is the Star Wars: Legion forum.

If I remember correctly, you can use a Navigate order to both change your speed and get an extra click on any joint of the Armada Maneuver Tool.  The Navigate Token only allows you to gain an extra click on a joint.  Yes, you can get clicks beyond what is printed on the ships card with both the Order and the Token.

28 minutes ago, NeonWolf said:

Just so you know, this is the Star Wars: Legion forum.

If I remember correctly, you can use a Navigate order to both change your speed and get an extra click on any joint of the Armada Maneuver Tool.  The Navigate Token only allows you to gain an extra click on a joint.  Yes, you can get clicks beyond what is printed on the ships card with both the Order and the Token.

Actually a nav token only allows you to change speed by one, it doesn't allow any clicks.

As stated you can get extra clicks in a variety of ways, but bear in mind there is a maximum of two clicks, and nothing can make it go farther than that on a joint.

Back to Legion. Yes, Armada is my primary game. Lol.