Sign in to follow this  
MikeEvans

Suggestions for my HotAC build?

I'm early on in a 5-player Heroes of the Aturi Cluster campaign and I'm trying to decide how I want to progress through the campaign.  We've played the training mission and the minesweeping mission so far.  I'm having a blast.  I hit PS4 and I've got 9 experience to spend and I'd like to have an idea of what I'm going to do before my game tomorrow.  We are allowed to use any of the EPTs out there for Rebels, not just the ones in the HotAC book.  We're also pooling experience to help out anyone who wants to fly an A-Wing or support ship.  Finally, ARCs can be flown.  

One build I'm considering is that of a "tank" B-Wing.  The EPT's I'd be taking would be Tarn, Ezra, Nora, and then make sure I'm stressed somehow.  The idea is that when an enemy ship attacks me, I get a Target Lock on them (Tarn).  I can then immediately spend that lock (Norra) to get a free focus result added to whatever I roll with my 1 agility die.  As long as I'm stressed, Ezra's ability lets me turn any eyes I got, which is at least 1, into evades.  Tack on a Sensor Jammer (esp. if one of my wingmen has Wes Janson's ability) and it will be extremely difficult for enemy ships to put more than a slight dent in me.  I could theoretically fly into a swarm of TIE fighters, draw all of their fire from my buddies, and walk away with barely any damage at all.  I just need to be sure that I'm stressed when I do that or things could get dicey.  Rebel Fenn's ability might be just the thing for that, but it's PS9 so I wouldn't have that until endgame.  I'm also not sure what I should take in my crew slot.  Hera is tempting so that I can stress myself at the start of the game to activate my combo and then just fly however I want after that, but I can see an argument for other options.

The issue with this, of course, is that with all the defensive abilities, my offense will suffer (though Norra's ability can be used offensively).  We already have one guy who's committing to an A-Wing and another who will be moving into a HWK.  We have a Y-Wing but he's already committed to turrets and bombs... no ordnance.  Our fourth player plans on going over to an ARC so he'll pack a decent punch eventually, but I don't know if he's planning on being a heavy hitter.  With that in mind, my other thought was to just go for crazy offense.  I don't necessarily need to change out to a B-Wing for that.  I've seen some builds that use Eaden Vrill and R3-A2 to get an extra die... that looks like fun.  I could do an ordnance-heavy B-Wing with Nera's 360º ability and some good offensive EPTs.

If anybody has some thoughts on the builds I've listed, or just wants to talk about some fun builds they're flown or seen, I'd appreciate it. 

Finally, some advice for leveling up... is it best to push Pilot Skill as high as possibly as quickly as possible to unlock EPT slots and abilities, or is it better to get your ship kitted out with stuff first?  Without having read the rulebook thoroughly, I think the missions get harder based on average pilot skill, so perhaps it is unwise to pump pilot skill if you're not spending as many points making your ship better.

Let's see.

For your tank build, I actually think Hera is a good call for this build. Just do a bunch of reds to build up some stress and keep it. From here, I have two suggestions for offense. One is to take Keyan Farlander's ability and use some of your stress as offensive focus. This will mean you need to be careful not to deplete the supply for Ezra's ability, but it is workable. Also grab Linked Battery for your cannon slot. This plus Farlander's ability will mean you have a reroll and offensive focus for your primary shots. The other suggestion is to use Predator for the last EPT slot. Predator is super good in HotAC and will also be immune to constant stress. Then I'd say grab a cannon like the Mangler or HLC for more damage. For your mod slots, the likes of Hull and Shield upgrade will benefit your tank style. Stealth Device might not be a bad purchase, but it does go out after one damage.

If you decide to go offensive, I would like to recommend something a guy in my group flyes. He has a B-Wing with Predator and Expertise for EPTs so far with a HLC. He gets near full mods for attacks and has 4 dice at all ranges. For Defense, he has Sensor Jammer in his systems slot and Jan Ors in his crew. He more recently added an Engine Upgrade to allow him to further reposition as needed. This guy is the big gun in our squad we call when something really has to die. There are still mod and EPT slots available, but I'm not sure what he has planned. There are plenty of good options, including the Nera idea for some added flexibility with positioning. 

My advice for leveling is to try to keep to the same PS as much as possible. That'll help not only with difficulty scaling, but it will also help avoid maneuvering problems. Also, if you can, when you do go up a PS, wait until you have the xp for the mod or EPT slot item you want, like when you get to PS 5, go ahead and have the xp to buy Ezra's ability. This isn't always possible, but it can be helpful when it works out.

I would get basic slots situated before going up on PS. 

Anyway, I hope that was helpful. 

Great ideas, thanks!  I really like idea of taking a linked battery for the rerolls until I can save up to replace it with a HLC.  Stealth Device is also surprisingly tempting considering how hard I would be to hit.

My wingman who's moving into a HWK is planning on getting Esege's and Kanan's abilities, with lots and lots of focuses (Moldy Crow title).  As long as I stay fairly near him, I should have access to all the focuses I need on offense, and even more tankiness on defense (against ships like Phantoms that can really pump out the dice).  I would be more self-sufficient, of course, if I went with the kit that your friend is using, though.  I have seen the Jammer/Jan Ors/Keyan B-Wing combo before in 100/6 and it's ridiculously tanky, especially against a limit of 1-2 shots per round.  Food for thought.

With focuses-on offense taken care of by my wingman, and focuses-on-defense taken care of with Ezra, if I go with my tanky build, I'd basically have an EPT freed up.  I'm thinking either Predator, Nera, or maybe even Ibtisam.  Since I'm planning to be stressed 24/7, Ibby would grant an extra reroll on offense AND defense against everything.  That's a very high likelihood of 2 evades against every single attack (with Norra's ability), not factoring in Sensor Jammer and my buddy's Kanan...  Pretty tanky for a B-Wing, and not a slouch in the attack department considering a full load of ordnance, HLC, focuses from my buddy, and rerolls.  Cue the guy from Goldeneye saying "Yes!  I am inveeencible!!!"  Really the only thing I won't be doing much of is repositioning.  I can live with that.  My buddy flying the A-Wing is going to be poetry in motion with all his maneuver potential, so I'll leave the ballet dancing to him.

Edited by MikeEvans

I've been specc'ing out a B-Wing for HotAC and my current plan is to go for a permanently-stressed build with Hera Syndulla as crew. Stay on Target then allows for almost complete freedom with choosing manoeuvres whilst building stress. Just dial in any 2-speed move and then spin it to whatever bearing you need!

For other pilot talents I'd consider Keyan to make use of all that stress you are building up and Ibtasim for sweet re-rolls. Linked Battery is probably a must too, as is Fire Control System.

XP-permitting, I'm then planning on going into Torps with Nera Dantels as my final EPT and two Proton Torps (or maybe one each of Proton and Advanced Proton) with Extra Munitions and Guidance Chips.

Get a shot in early (with re-rolls!) to pick up a Target Lock and then finish off the target with a torpedo. Rinse and repeat.

I've seen a squad of 4 Tie Fighters destroy a B-wing in a single turn.  The formations mean multiple shots at you and those defensive won't be enough.  I would not go for a defensive build.  Well, Sensor Jammer is good.  

Oh, I would recommend getting upgrades before PS race.  Those extra enemies will hurt without toys.

Torpedoes are good, especially firing 360.  Don't forget Ion Torpedoes, too, as you can Ion a whole squadron.  Extra Munitions are a modification, so you can have 4 Torpedoes!  2 Ion and 2 Proton.  

Expertise is good.  Predator is good.  Both are crazy good.

Take a look at Sabine's Ability at PS 5.  Free Boost or Barrel Roll before moving is awesome. It can get you out of way or ensure you have a shoot.  Move first and then do that K-turn.  Or, get PTL to free action, PTL, do the green, clear stress, do a third action.  This ability could make your B-wing crazy maneuverable.  I'd rather stay out if arcs than avoid lucky hits.

After the B-wing death by 4 Tie Fighters, I am not allowed to role for the enemy anymore.