Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Aurelus

28mm terrain, 35mm minis

Recommended Posts

I have been looking at buying terrain from terrains4games.com... specifically a few forest, hills, and burnt out buildings.  However, their designs are built for up to 28mm scale minis.  With the larger sizes in Legion, should I be looking somewhere else?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Aurelus said:

I have been looking at buying terrain from terrains4games.com... specifically a few forest, hills, and burnt out buildings.  However, their designs are built for up to 28mm scale minis.  With the larger sizes in Legion, should I be looking somewhere else?

 

I havent bought any terrain yet, but I'd recommend Imperial Terrain. Their stuff is distinctly Star Wars and is the correct scale too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Ralgon said:

actual scale on a stormtrooper is roughly the same as 40k marines. It's in one of the unboxing vids but i can't put my finger on it right now

Which kind of marine though? There's the "normal" ones which are supposed to be 6-7 feet tall (in scale) and the new ones which are even taller than that (roughly 10 feet tall I think?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Caimheul1313 said:

Which kind of marine though? There's the "normal" ones which are supposed to be 6-7 feet tall (in scale) and the new ones which are even taller than that (roughly 10 feet tall I think?)

the old ones. In the vid he does compare to both types, and compares a speeder to the new oversize speeders (which is a terrible comparison as it's way bigger, but it's all they had)

Final word is a speeder bike is about the same as a "normal" marine bike, and a stormtrooper the same as a "normal" marine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ralgon said:

the old ones. In the vid he does compare to both types, and compares a speeder to the new oversize speeders (which is a terrible comparison as it's way bigger, but it's all they had)

Final word is a speeder bike is about the same as a "normal" marine bike, and a stormtrooper the same as a "normal" marine.

Ah, so still a bit taller than the average human, but not nearly as bad as it could be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Caimheul1313 said:

Ah, so still a bit taller than the average human, but not nearly as bad as it could be. 

Yeah, anything 40k scale with that's been designed pre 8th should look right....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not trust that video. He measures the top of the base as 25. However the top is meaningless. the bottom of the base is actually 27.

legion looks to have very large figures. According to his comparisons Vader is larger than a primarus marine  and troopers are as large. I think in 40k fiction those are the 10 foot tall ones?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TylerTT said:

I would not trust that video. He measures the top of the base as 25. However the top is meaningless. the bottom of the base is actually 27.

legion looks to have very large figures. According to his comparisons Vader is larger than a primarus marine  and troopers are as large. I think in 40k fiction those are the 10 foot tall ones?  

That is my understanding as to the size of primarus.

So what if your battles take place on a planet mostly inhabited by shorter than average non-humans/humans/near humans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2018 at 3:20 PM, Caimheul1313 said:

Which kind of marine though? There's the "normal" ones which are supposed to be 6-7 feet tall (in scale) and the new ones which are even taller than that (roughly 10 feet tall I think?)

1) 40k models are not to exact scale, in general or with each other. So they are a weak reference beyond "How big is it compared to a 40k model?" After all, Guardsmen aren't significantly shorter than Marines, even though they technically should be. And don't even try and fit a full tactical squad in a Rhino...

2)  Here's some Stormtroopers next to some "normal" marines.

On 2/17/2018 at 1:41 PM, Aurelus said:

I have been looking at buying terrain from terrains4games.com... specifically a few forest, hills, and burnt out buildings.  However, their designs are built for up to 28mm scale minis.  With the larger sizes in Legion, should I be looking somewhere else?

 

You may wish to look for cheaper sources, but scale-wise 28mm terrain will look just fine next to Legion minis 99% of the time.

Not only is scale not that exact with these things, but "28mm heroic" is the scale for Warhammer/40k. The "heroic" part means most infantry and character models are oversized a bit and proportionally incorrect to add more bulk (and by extension detail.)

What this means is, since 40k is one of the more popular "28mm" games a lot of "28mm" wargame terrain is scaled to match. As you can see from the image, since Legion is only a smidge bigger, there's not much difference. So most of that commercially available terrain, scaled for 40k's tall bloated models, will look just fine in Legion.

marines small.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Orcdruid said:

That marine better clean his armor before he gets the lashings.

I should mention, not my photo. Comes from one of the ladies over on BoLS. So I can't be responsible for the paint job.

 

That said.... It took me a long time to learn that before doing a wash, you need to apply a gloss coats or you end up with that "dirty" look. So my Red Scorpions need a bath too...

 

Moral of the story: When painting your minis before applying your wash, give them a glosscoat. It makes the wash collect better in the nooks and crannies and less likely to stain the larger open surfaces. It actually even allows you to go in with a q-tip or something and clean up any surfaces it does collect on. Once done give it a matte coat to seal an hide the gloss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, DarkTrooperZero said:

Scale appears to be not as big an issue as previously thought. Any 28mm scaled wargame terrain should work fine for legion. Maybe the doors are a tad too small but something like this shouldn't destroy the game experience. 

Perhaps the local species are not as tall as a human? Doors only have to big enough for the people that lives in the houses. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...