Boom Owl

Why Are You Bad At X-Wing?

On 17.2.2018 at 5:30 AM, T70 Driver said:

Another problem is I can't decide just which list to stick with as my go to for tourneys. There's just too many ships to choose from.

I switched lists every. single. game. for about a year. 

Looking back, that was not so bad actually. Helped me to learn many ships and upgrades, and to realize why certain combinations are horrible. It also means I can netlist almost anything rebel or imperial and fly it ok-ish. Except for DashMiranda. Took that to a tournament once flying it the first time. Came in second last. Winner was the exact same list, so it was definitely me. I was horrible with it!

I change my mind on one particular dial but not on the others and then crash into myself.

I line up a 5 dice cruise missile shot and land at range 1. All the time.

I spend 3 turns with a ship out of combat because I didn't want to stress turn into an unmodified shot. Then stress turn into an unmodified shot anyway.

I skipped the 1st turn action as pointless then remember I have Comm Relay/Advanced Optics.

I forgot to put any focus in the Rey bank.

I never quite managed to find the right place to drop that bomb.

Oh yeah, I also had torpedos I forgot about.

I like daredevil, free boosts and barrels and Ello Astys T-Rolls much more than boring old focus/TL.

All my ships need Dash Rendars pilot ability.

I suck because

• I don't like to fly (or even own) ships I'm not personally familiar with from the SW Universe (so ie it had to be in the movies, the X-wing PC games from the early 90s, Rebels, or Clone Wars).  So no scum, among other things (except the bounty hunters and such).  If it's an absolute must-have card and it's only in Scum, I'll get it off eBay as a single.  But only done that twice.  The only exception I've made is the Decimator, just because it's such a pretty ship.  It feels so much like a "real" imperial ship, that I sometimes forget it's not, at least in my own personal, admittedly illogical paradigm.
  • My collection is small and growing slowly, I'm way behind the curve on that
  • I don't play often enough so I'm often fuzzy on distances and arcs - even when I have a good hunch what opponent will do, I mis-judge where they will end up, and what I need to do to end up in the right spot.  Or I think I've chosen the correct move to go around the rock, and end up right in it.
  • I am ok with formation flying, but once I break formation to dodge a rock or ship or whatever, I have a very hard time getting back into it (see above).  So when I try I make it worse, and focus on that longer than I should, when I should just give up and worry about opponent.
  • I am usually pretty comfortable with what my ships can do, but I often have no clue what my opponent can do until they do it.  I don't know a lot of dials and special pilot abilities.
  • I always loved flying A-Wings in the X-Wing PC game, so I take them too often here.  I almost always take Psycho Tycho because I have fun flying him even though I know he's not really competitive.  I just love trailing that mountain of stress around behind him.  :)
  • I have an affinity to original trilogy stuff in general...so I'd prefer to fly Wedge over Poe, and Vader over Kylo, but those are not the best options.
  • Not good with bombs, I really need to work on that.  I have a fun idea for a rebel list using bombs and EMPs, but I'm scared to take the plunge because I have no clue what I'm doing.
  • I forget to use upgrades or pilot abilities are super important moments.  Or I use them but do it in the wrong order so it's not right.  I'll use expertise, THEN roll the target lock, and roll more eyeballs that I can't convert. 
  • Die have always hated me at every game I've ever played.  So I'll have 4 dice with a target lock and expertise and come up all blank.   I know it happens to everybody, and I know it's not the biggest thing on this list.  A good player can overcome crap dice, and I'm not that guy.

All that said, I very much enjoy the game, and I will get better over time.  And even if I don't, I'll still have fun with it.

Edited by direweasel

On 2/17/2018 at 7:03 PM, drjkel said:

Because my 8 year old is currently plateaued at merely "above average" (peaking to "quite good" if he decides to fly his Glaives)  and I only get to play grown ups once a month.

I'm the same. 

Also we play on a table smaller than 3 x 3 so it's hard to lean how to make  proper approaches when we are shooting at each other first or second turn.

On 2/17/2018 at 7:03 PM, drjkel said:

Because my 8 year old is currently plateaued at merely "above average" (peaking to "quite good" if he decides to fly his Glaives)  and I only get to play grown ups once a month.

double post

Edited by Purple Orc

On 2/19/2018 at 7:34 AM, direweasel said:

the X-wing PC games from the early 90s... The only exception I've made is the Decimator, just because it's such a pretty ship.  It feels so much like a real imperial ship, that I sometimes forget it's not....

580tqinception.jpg

Wait, you consider the X-Wing games ships "real", but Star Wars Galaxies game ships "not real"?

Dafuq kinda logic is that?

Edited by kris40k

I'm bad because my only opponent is my wife, who isnt a "serious" gamer... I'm miserable if I feel like she's not having fun, so I remind her of her upgrades and skills, make her remeasure moves instead of crashing, occasionally forget to point out crits and negative card interactions, and I always try to run thematic and/or silly or funny lists.. because I'm just grateful she'll even make the effort to play from time to time.

Also because I adore Interceptors and will jam one into every list I make ever.

9 minutes ago, kris40k said:

580tqinception.jpg

Wait, you consider the X-Wing games ships "real", but Star Wars Galaxies game ships "not real"?

It's an opinion. He's invested in what he's familiar with, and not invested in things he has no experience with. The ships he's familiar with feel real to him, and others don't, because he's not used to them.

I am in a similar vein. I've never watched Rebels, so the Ghost looks nothing like a Star Wars ship to me and it always looks out of place on the table. Ditto the Gunboat with whatever game it's from, it feels jarring to see one flying alongside Vader. But I did (exhaustively) play Decipher's CCG, so I have absolutely no problem listing Defenders alongside Interceptors as standard OT ships.

I am bad at x-wing because...

1. I get carried away and miss triggers (e.g at the start of the combat phase...)

2. I fly 86pts of my list off the board in Store Champs finals.

3. I enjoy flying Nym.

4. I am a terrible human being and this spills over into X-wing.

19 minutes ago, nexttwelveexits said:

It's an opinion. He's invested in what he's familiar with, and not invested in things he has no experience with. The ships he's familiar with feel real to him, and others don't, because he's not used to them.

I am in a similar vein. I've never watched Rebels, so the Ghost looks nothing like a Star Wars ship to me and it always looks out of place on the table. Ditto the Gunboat with whatever game it's from, it feels jarring to see one flying alongside Vader. But I did (exhaustively) play Decipher's CCG, so I have absolutely no problem listing Defenders alongside Interceptors as standard OT ships.

Sure, I get where he made the conclusion, but I'm not following the logic to get there as what he has decided is "real" v "not real". For instance, I have never played the X-Wing/TIE fighter series (I own them thanks to a SW bundle I picked up on Steam, but they're in the backlog of 400+ games sadly, some day...). I played SWG for many years and put a lot of hours behind the virtual stick of the ships in that game.  I do know of the existence of the Alpha-class Starwing thanks to this forum, but have no personal experience with it.

I wouldn't however presume to call it a fake or not real SW ship. Or any other ships in SW media that I have not consumed personally. I don't fly them at the moment because I didn't have the personal connection driving me to buy four of them on release day like many others here.

Maybe its because I know and accept that the SW Universe has a ton of content that I know I will never be able to personally know all of.

Edited by kris40k

1 hour ago, kris40k said:

580tqinception.jpg

I never played Galaxies.

Nobody said anything about logic.  I never claimed it was logical; just a personal preference.  There's no reason to see any of that as any kind of personal attack.

Edited by direweasel

54 minutes ago, direweasel said:

I never played Galaxies.

Nobody said anything about logic.  I never claimed it was logical; just a personal preference.  There's no reason to see any of that as any kind of personal attack.

Oh yeah, I didn't take it as a personal attack, no worries (and sorry if I sounded hot, I wasn't) it was just an interesting wording choice when talking about make believe spaceships that confused me :P and caught my interest

5 minutes ago, kris40k said:

Oh yeah, I didn't take it as a personal attack, no worries (and sorry if I sounded hot, I wasn't) it was just an interesting wording choice when talking about make believe spaceships that confused me :P and caught my interest

I'll put "real" in quotes, maybe that will help eliminate confusion.  I also clarified further. 

And just to be 100% clear, I never make any effort to push my weird personal tastes onto another gamer.  I don't cringe or make comments when somebody shows up with ships that I personally don't take.  In fact, as I said, that's part of why it made the list of "why I suck at X-Wing" - I don't know how those ships work nearly as much as I need to, in order to effectively deal with them.  But that's my problem, not theirs.

Edited by direweasel

7 hours ago, Purple Orc said:

I'm the same. 

Also we play on a table smaller than 3 x 3 so it's hard to lean how to make  proper approaches when we are shooting at each other first or second turn.

I highly recommend visiting your local game store with an eye to getting him to play other grown ups, so many life lessons can be learned.

My oldest tagged along for the first few months (he was 6), playing his own matchups on the side, until he felt ready to take part. He went 3-1 his first tournament, coming second out of 13 (while I got my personal best, at the time, at third). He's since more reliably finished with 2 wins per tournament, in the top half of the field. 

He went from being a sore loser and winner to only whining when he plays me that he'll lose for sure (we're working on that). It builds character and gives him a real sense of achievement he doesn't get at school. I mean, there's not many kids that have been mentioned on multiple podcasts and streams, and I don't think anyone that young got a Krayt bounty-worthy pic before (though more should, there's too few kids playing).

For us grown-ups, it really highlight that we should be there for fun, whining about dice doesn't work as well when you're playing a kid (though I did do that last week, utter betrayal from the RNG, I swear!).

30 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

... Because I still think stuff like "studying rock placement" is 99% people yanking my d!ck.

Isnt it basically just...

• Pick Big Ones
  • Pick Small Ones
  • Pick Debri
  • Pick Rocks
  • Throw em all in the middle
  • Throw em all near the edges
  • Throw em all on their side 
  • Throw em all on your side
  • Throw em all 2 ball
  • Throw em all spread out
  • Throw a couple big ones offset a bit further inside from the two ball 
  • Save a Lane
  • Close a Lane

One of these choices is the wrong choice, the rest are just choices. 

Also another reason why I know I am bad at X-Wing?

The most important rock choice is this though:

• Mustache
  • Banana
  • The Bird 
Edited by Boom Owl

... because I screw up my mental calculations

... because when I bring a jousting list I will joust even when I know I shouldn't

... because I judge opponents on making optimal choices rather than sub-optimal ones

... because the Uwing is good and anyone who says otherwise is not to be trusted

... because in any tournament scene I'm a loyal son of the empire

... because I love triple aces for the punishment the give me if I don't play optimally