Boom Owl

Why Are You Bad At X-Wing?

Im awesome btw! :ph34r:

..Im bad because I cant keep track on what my upgrade cards and pilots do unless I study "bible" better, but they keep changing the story so often.. :unsure:

Im hoping to host mini tournament with my friends that will not use FAQ changes in the upgrades or pilots. Keep it casual and fun. Just always wanted to see how is x-wing without all that! "Prenerf tournament"

I am bad at xwing because I never played a tournament. Because I just try autothruster for my interseptor recently ( thanks silencer), I don't know how to use the inquisitor properly, and I never tryed the TIE advance. (I can't pay 90€ to fly a decent vador)

10 minutes ago, player2422845 said:

I am bad at xwing because I never played a tournament. Because I just try autothruster for my interseptor recently ( thanks silencer), I don't know how to use the inquisitor properly, and I never tryed the TIE advance. (I can't pay 90€ to fly a decent vador)

So you don't play in tournaments, but also don't just proxy cards?

16 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

So you don't play in tournaments, but also don't just proxy cards?

My games partner are strict on this! I Admit it help us not being bored by the meta, but it is also anoying for the "built-in" cards such as harpoons etc...

9 hours ago, T70 Driver said:

Another problem is I can't decide just which list to stick with as my go to for tourneys. There's just too many ships to choose from.

Yes, T70 Driver with a TIE pilot avatar.  I can sense the conflict within you. . .

Edited by Darth Meanie

2 hours ago, player2422845 said:

I am bad at xwing because I never played a tournament.

That is irrelevant.  At least one of us is Grand Moff of the Kitchen Table Sector.

6 hours ago, Vykk Draygo said:

I'm bad at x wing because someone forgot to sacrifice the goat this week. 

Always sleeve your cards before a haruspication. 

Many things others have said, but the biggest is

I never think about next turn, only this turn.

which leads to...

I am really good at setting up a kill box by turn 3 and usually can wipe out the ship I wanted to.  But when I don't, and sometimes even when I do, we go to dials and I realize that I am facing in the complete wrong direction with 3 rocks right in front of me and no way to turn around.  Meanwhile my opponent usually is able to bank right onto my biggest gun's tail for the next 2 turns while I can do nothing about it.  There have been a lot of games where I am up 30-50 points early and either lose, or barely squeeze out the win.

Honorable mention goes to:

I love formation flying (which also means I often take 3-5 ships lists where many people take the 2 super ship lists.)

It looks pretty.  I will start in formation, break around a rock or enemy ship and come back in perfect unison.  I will set up far apart and facing different directions but by the end of turn 3 the whole group has come together.

I'm am the freaking Blue Angels out there and its awesome.  Until one stupid flanker gets in behind the whole thing and plinks me to death.

Edited by pickirk01

I still, even if I've played a list 10+ times and for weeks/months, will get to a tourney and forget cards and triggers that may occasionally save me the game lol

Also I can't take my time to save my life. Getting towards end game I'll want to wrap it up fast either way. Which in both cases can get me a loss when I could have got a win.

1. I play what I want without worrying whether or not something is "viable", and I generally don't play whatever the current high-meta is.

2. I switch lists a lot, instead of practicing over and over with the same one. Certainly, I have favorites and ones I revisit often, but over the course of three to four matches on a play day, I might switch lists each match or a couple times at least.

3. I don't play nearly as often as I'd like; usually it's just Sundays and my monthly Sundays are split with a D&D group.

4. I've never flown in a tournament, so I haven't been exposed to a breadth of players or playstyles outside of a casual group.

5. Probably other reasons as well that I'm not cognitive enough to recognize without epic psilocybin use.

Because my 8 year old is currently plateaued at merely "above average" (peaking to "quite good" if he decides to fly his Glaives)  and I only get to play grown ups once a month.

We're trying to figure out how to get him out of his funk without resorting to messing with the point totals of either of our lists. His main complaint is that he always loses, but he's good because I don't go easy on him, so today's attempt was a bomblet to the face of each of my ships before we even place our lists. It's a scary thing to do on Soontir! It helped, but I think we'll try a 3 dice bomblet next time. It did give me practice in trying to salvage horrible situations. 

I am bad at x-wing, because I still believe simple TIEs and Interceptors have a chance.

And I love archdodging... Which is exeedingly hard, at this point, since far too many can do the 360 arch...

Oh, I've got another one: because I like to change up my lists pretty frequently. Although I also do like to iterate and zero-in on builds if I get the chance to play multiple games in a reasonably small chunk of the year. But then it's still usually just refining less-useful jank into more-useful jank, so whaddayagonnadoabouddit. :D