Sign in to follow this  
dotswarlock

Omega Leader vs Huge ships

Omega Leader

"Enemy ships that you have locked cannot modify any dice when attacking you or defending against your attacks."

From the huge ship rules, page 4:

"Target Lock Tokens
A ship that acquires a target lock on a huge ship must acquire that lock on a single section of the huge ship. The closest point of the chosen section must be within range. The red target lock token is placed next to the chosen section of the huge ship and its effect only applies to that section."

So this is going to be a hard one.  The rules usually make it simple for most other upgrades.  If a ship attacks the fore section and had a target lock on the rear, it cannot use its target lock to reroll dice, trigger advanced targeting computer, etc.  For Omega Leader, it can be a bit more tricky, so let's see the scenarios:

1) Omega Leader has a target lock on the front of a Raider and attacks the rear which has a reinforce token.  Does his ability apply?  (I think not)

2) Omega leader has a target lock on the front of a Raider and is being attacked by a weapon system on the front of the Raider.  Does his ability apply (I think yes)

3) Omega leader has a target lock on the front of a Raider and is being attacked by a weapon system on the back of the Raider.  Does his ability apply (I think not)

4) Omega Leader has a target lock on either fore or back section of a C-Roc or Gozanti and is being attacked by a weapon system (which is not technically assigned to either section).  Does his ability apply (I think yes).

What do you guys think?

Edited by dotswarlock

OL does not have any exxeptions in the huge ship rules so no matter what section he target locks he is still target locking the huge ship and this affects the whole ship.

So the answer is yes to all 4 situations above.

5 hours ago, StephenEsven said:

OL does not have any exxeptions in the huge ship rules so no matter what section he target locks he is still target locking the huge ship and this affects the whole ship.

So the answer is yes to all 4 situations above.

Here's the problem with that answer: every ability, including the basic use of target locks to reroll dice, refer to the enemy ship as "the defender" or the "enemy ship" (see rules reference, page 3: "While attacking, a ship can spend a target lock that it has on the defender to reroll any number of its attack dice."

The huge ship rules does not have an errata towards the standard use of target lock (much like it does not have an errata towards OL); it only has that a target lock and its effects only affects that section that is target locked.    So either that rule does nothing or it must be extrapolated to affect a number of things.  Might have to submit the question to FFG to have it clarified in the FAQ, however.

EDIT: not saying that the answer is necessarily wrong, but just that the line needs to be clarified.  I did post a question to FFG as well.

Edited by dotswarlock

You quoted the huge ship rules that change how acquiring a target lock works. 

That plus the text on page 2 is what changes how attacking a huge ship works. No other effects are changed.

Even though you assign the target locj to a section and can only spend it for rerolls if you attack that section, youbstill have a target lock on the ship with regards to any ability that is not a secondary weapon.