Sign in to follow this  
Embir82

FFG where the **** are this Hangar Bay rules?

No, seriously, where are they? I searched news for 2018 SOS and there is nothing, zero, no official document about Hangar Bay for this year - is it too hard to give a link to tournament rules right below the article?

Just now, Tbetts94 said:

All are in System Open lead up articles and they change every Worlds/System Opens for whatever reason to confuse everyone.

Got any link?
I checked news for this year SOS event and there were no rules - I don't know, it is completely outrageous, I pay a pretty hefty price and yet tournament organizer can't provide rules in a clear, concise manner.

6 minutes ago, Embir82 said:

Got any link?
I checked news for this year SOS event and there were no rules - I don't know, it is completely outrageous, I pay a pretty hefty price and yet tournament organizer can't provide rules in a clear, concise manner.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/11/13/swx-any-methods-necessary/

Its dumb that we have to search, they should have an alternative format link with PDF’s of all the missions and everything too.

1 hour ago, Tbetts94 said:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/11/13/swx-any-methods-necessary/

Its dumb that we have to search, they should have an alternative format link with PDF’s of all the missions and everything too.

Well I read this article and only information about two other SOS formats is this:

• Hangar Bay tournaments are a mainstay of the System Open Series, available whenever you and seven other players are ready to blast through three rounds of Swiss play. As with previous years, you have the option to bring two squads and select your favorite after you see your opponent's available squads. If you bring two squads, however, they must adhere to the "Skilled Rule," which states that the printed pilot skill values of your pilots must be different from list to list.
  • Hyperspace Qualifiers are new to the 2018 System Open Series and represent an exciting new way to compete for an invitation to the Coruscant Invitational. Any player who goes undefeated through a Hyperspace Qualifier wins an invitation to the Coruscant Invitational.

So as I understand Hangar Bay is a format in which I take two lists and only restriction is that in each one of them printed PS must be different from list to list (so I can have to PS 9 pilots in one list but can't have them in other one).
But how do I pick given list before game? Is it hidden process of picking? Do I have to declare it for my enemy? There are a lot of questions here.

Also as I understand Hyperspace Qualifiers are just played with normal rules, don't they?

44 minutes ago, Embir82 said:

But how do I pick given list before game? Is it hidden process of picking?

you have a maneuver dial and you pick a 1-maneuver or a 2-maneuver , or a left and right bank, whatever everyone agreed on before. then it corresponds to your left or right list. I cant remember what is written on the rules booklets.

2 minutes ago, spacelion said:

you have a maneuver dial and you pick a 1-maneuver or a 2-maneuver , or a left and right bank, whatever everyone agreed on before. then it corresponds to your left or right list. I cant remember what is written on the rules booklets.

Ok, but as soon I got answers another important questions pop-up.
So, does my squads have to be from the same faction or not? What about obstacles, do I share them between squads or not?
There are plenty of things yet there are no f***ing official document which says explicitly about rules. And it really drives me mad. Negligence of this kind shown by FFG just get on my nerves.

Its pretty simple:

1. Bring 2 different lists (Or just one if you want)
2. The 2 lists cant share Printed Pilotskill between them (i.e. If you have Darth Vader in one list you cant have any pilot with native PS 9 in the other list. A pilot with PS 7 and VI would be ok) Other than that there is no restrictions. The lists can be same faction.
3. Prior to each game, show your lists to the opponent. Once you have showed/seen the litst use a Dial to secretly chose either list to play with

5 hours ago, Embir82 said:

Ok, but as soon I got answers another important questions pop-up.
So, does my squads have to be from the same faction or not? What about obstacles, do I share them between squads or not?
There are plenty of things yet there are no f***ing official document which says explicitly about rules. And it really drives me mad. Negligence of this kind shown by FFG just get on my nerves.

That kinda depends on the house rules. If you're going to a tournament they will tell in advance. There's no reason to have 2 same rulesets for a casual event that happens only once every few months, you want to tailor the ruleset so that there's more variety in listbuilding. I've seen

2 lists - cannot be exactly the same (can be same faction)

2 lists - different faction

2 list highlander (1 of each and every card, title, pilot, upgrade .... )

Just goes on and on

Edited by spacelion

6 hours ago, Embir82 said:

Negligence of this kind shown by FFG just get on my nerves.

I'm not sure that word means what you think it means.

As others has said, the rules vary tourney to tourney, and Hangar bay is typically the for fun option you can choose if you fall out of the main event.  It's kinda sad that you are getting so mad about it, take a bit of perspective maybe?

4 hours ago, Dreadai said:

I'm not sure that word means what you think it means.

As others has said, the rules vary tourney to tourney, and Hangar bay is typically the for fun option you can choose if you fall out of the main event.  It's kinda sad that you are getting so mad about it, take a bit of perspective maybe?

It would be nice if the rules were laid out clearly somewhere though, right?

-Is it 100 points?

-Does each list bring its own obstacles, or are they shared?

-Same faction allowed?

-Are unique upgrades unique across both lists or not?

-In the past years, you couldn't have the same ship in both lists, is that true this year too?

These are all legitimate questions.

"Look up an article from November to find direct answers to none of these questions and make your own inferences." Is a ******* terrible answer, but it's the only one we've got. 

As with the golden rule ... Read what it says on the card, read what's in the info ... not what isn't. 

1 restriction for system open 2018, you cannot have the same printed pilot skill shared in both lists.  

As long as you still meet that restriction ... then the following hold true.

• It doesn't say you have to bring the same obstacles, so they can be different
  • It doesn't say they have to be different factions, so they can be the same.
  • It doesn't say that unique cards cannot be replicated across lists, so they can.
  • It doesn't say you can't have the same ship in both lists, so you can.

It's crystal clear for the system open what you can and can't do. Rather than trying to write an exhaustive list of what you are allowed to do, FFG have wisely written a very clear and concise list of the 1 thing that you are not allowed to do.

If you are going to a hangar bay elsewhere ... the TO should advertise Hangar bay rules in advance. If they don't ... ask are there any restrictions across the lists.  They will vary event by event, and that is why FFG will never publish a list of rules for Hangar bay.

3 minutes ago, Dreadai said:

It's crystal clear for the system open what you can and can't do. Rather than trying to write an exhaustive list of what you are allowed to do, FFG have wisely written a very clear and concise list of the 1 thing that you are not allowed to do.

It's crystal clear if you're good at mining for crystals. 

There's really no excuse for requiring someone to track down an article from months ago to find a single sentence buried in a ton of a bunch of other information. 

And as we all know, what a news article says is gospel truth. They certainly don't have the reputation of ******* up the rules of their game in every single article they've ever released.

So yes, we can be 100% confident that there will be no surprises when we show up to one of these events. 

:rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, Dreadai said:

As with the golden rule ... Read what it says on the card, read what's in the info ... not what isn't.

1 restriction for system open 2018, you cannot have the same printed pilot skill shared in both lists.

If you are going to a hangar bay elsewhere ... the TO should advertise Hangar bay rules in advance. If they don't ... ask are there any restrictions across the lists.  They will vary event by event, and that is why FFG will never publish a list of rules for Hangar bay.

Yep.  2 lists, different pilot skills in each.  Or you can take just one list if you prefer and bypass the entire issue.  This is not difficult stuff.

As a couple of System Opens have already taken place, it's probably worth asking if anyone who went had any issues with the way the Hangar Bay events were handled, or experienced any confusion with the rules on the day, because I certainly can't remember reading any reports about it if so.  However, if it's been a recurring issue for a number of players, maybe it's worth a clarification.

16 hours ago, Sekac said:

It's crystal clear if you're good at mining for crystals. 

There's really no excuse for requiring someone to track down an article from months ago to find a single sentence buried in a ton of a bunch of other information. 

And as we all know, what a news article says is gospel truth. They certainly don't have the reputation of ******* up the rules of their game in every single article they've ever released.

So yes, we can be 100% confident that there will be no surprises when we show up to one of these events. 

:rolleyes:

I was part of the Organisers team and Judge at the Copenhagen Open so I know that if you show up with 2 standard 100 pts list and make sure that neither has the same printed PS for Hangar Bay you will not be surpriced :)

8 minutes ago, Holmelund said:

I was part of the Organisers team and Judge at the Copenhagen Open so I know that if you show up with 2 standard 100 pts list and make sure that neither has the same printed PS for Hangar Bay you will not be surpriced :)

Glad to hear it, thank you. 

Still annoying they couldn't be bothered to make it even relatively easy to find. Detective work and asking around should not be part of the preparing for an event you paid for process. 

Just now, Sekac said:

Glad to hear it, thank you. 

Still annoying they couldn't be bothered to make it even relatively easy to find. Detective work and asking around should not be part of the preparing for an event you paid for process. 

Reading the event page for an event you are attending hardly counts as detective Work now does it ? 

1 minute ago, Dreadai said:

Reading the event page for an event you are attending hardly counts as detective Work now does it ? 

Reading a news article from November with a title that has nothing to do with system opens, hyperspace qualifiers, or hangar bays certainly does.

It would take one person maybe, maybe a couple hours to create a hangar bay document and post it in the X-wing links with all the other support documents. They could make everyone's lives easier by creating this document once, and simply altering it each year as they tweak the format. 

There are exactly zero good reasons for not having done it. I know this because not a single person posting in this thread has even attempted an explanation for why wouldn't make it easy to find. 

I appreciate the support of the community on this matter, but frankly nobody should have to rely on a helpful community or google-fu to figure out what the rules are. 

Maybe it's "not that hard" to find the rules, but why not make it "easy"? 

Can you think of a reason? I'm pretty sure the only reason is "we didn't feel like it." And honestly I'm surprised how many people are landing in the "they didn't feel like being helpful, so figure it out yourself" camp. It's not that someone can't figure it out, but they shouldn't have to.