mouthymerc

Genesys Spycraft

I am sure my adaptions may evolve over time. I like your suggestion for swapping out Ranged (light) for melee with the faceman. I like Ranged split though. Better in my mind for a modern game. It is not terribly difficult to pick up non-career skills in game, so I am not too concerned to have every skill that is thought needed by each career. Good feedback. 

21 hours ago, mouthymerc said:

...It is not terribly difficult to pick up non-career skills in game...

This is a good point, too. With that in mind, I actually like the Soldier lacking pistols because if he's going to be a Ranged guy, he's going to have good Agility and it's only extra 5-10xp to grab a rank or two in Ranged (Light), but he's going to focus on the bigger guns naturally. I'm also taking an additional moment to disconnect myself from the d20 roots of all these and Star Wars background for this system and remember that taking a career is just a package of cheaper skills, and not connected to talent build at all.

That all being said, I think I still like dropping Ranged (Light) from Snoop. I'll take a closer look later and see if I have a proper recommendation on a replacement instead of just half a note.

On ‎6‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 4:31 AM, Foghorn said:

I agree with Daeglan, but looking at the list, I'm hesitant to take anything away. Looking at the whole list, it also raises the question, "Should everyone have a Ranged skill?" I know the pistol wielding superspy is pretty deeply entrenched in the genre, but I could see an argument for removing Ranged (Light) from Fixer and Snoop, and possibly replace Ranged (Light) with Melee for Faceman (the femme fatale with knives or the disguise master who injects poisons vibe). Going back to the "what do you lose?" question for Soldier, I also wonder if it's too much to keep Ranged as a singular skill. That opens characters back up to the massively competent superspy, and by removing Ranged from a couple of the Careers, but still makes it harder for your hacker to walk around with a giant machine gun laying waste to everything.

You want to avoid the trap the Snoop had in Spycraft, which was that it was pre-smart phones, drones, and ubiquitous internet and consider the way in which they could be engaged as all seeing tech gods now. To that end, the video game Watch_Dogs 2, with its drone, is a good insight and was the basis for my "greyhat" career having Operation, to control drones. A simple quadcopter can provide a team with intel, access, and oversight that just hacking CCTV cannot.

Food for thought.

And now that we've had a summer to work with this... how well did it work out for you? My son has expressed an interest in doing an espionage-style campaign, and is looking through various systems. What I've seen of the system seems like it could fit reasonably without too much adaption needed, but wanted to get opinions from people who have been there.

Haven't run anything as yet. My group wanted to dive back into Star Wars so I  have been working on that. 

Most things I have been collecting are drag and drop. I have been combing through my Star Wars books for relevant talents and then double checking with the Genesys talents for duplication. Some specialization specific talents have been condensed into individual genetic talents. I have also been waiting on the last SW career book on spies.

I may throw something together to run as a one shot at my FLGS.