Sign in to follow this  
GreenLantern1138

Not like this.

14 hours ago, Marinealver said:

I'm just saying there should be ways to cut down on the amount of useless cards that are now in X-wing.

Why? Why does it matter whether the Rookie or the new PS1 pilot or the Red Squadron Pilot card is good, as long as the one that ends up being good is a T-65? All we care about is the ship itself right? So as long as there is a good T-65 pilot that we can have multiples of in a list, why should that be held back by the existence of old cards? And have you stopped to think that cards that you think are "useless" actually serve a purpose? Or that having a flat power level would actually hurt play diversity by making certain mechanics taboo? 

Imagine if the Ion mechanic was featured on cards that were at tournament levels of efficiency? Everyone pretty much agrees that Ion is a horrible NPE that is only held in check by how bad the cards are. Well if the game had a flat powerlevel, then the Ion mechanic would have to be on tournament level cards (because theoretically every card would be tournament level). The developers would have to remove Ion from the game as a mechanic if there was no power gradient in the game. And that would make players that like control elements like Ion tokens very sad. 

You should check out why there are many good reasons that customizable assymetrical games often do not try to go for a flat power level here and here.

As for the expansion itself, I look forward to seeing the T-65 getting the buffs it truly deserves, hopefully we get some really broken stuff that pushes the ship to TIE/X7 levels of goodness and really makes the ship feel like the ones we saw zipping around Scarif.

3 minutes ago, Tvboy said:

Why? Why does it matter whether the Rookie or the new PS1 pilot or the Red Squadron Pilot card is good, as long as the one that ends up being good is a T-65?

It matters when you are trying to lure a new player into the game. Not easy for a newbie to tell the good cards from the bad ones, when it could have been so much simpler to errata card costs (heck, they even FAQed upgrade slots, why not prices??).
Keeping useless cards is not what i'd call a feature :P

Edited by Giledhil

To top it off, they chose the most boring paintjob ever imagined for the ships. Black and White. No Detail, no imagination, no....well anything. If FFG things I want the x-wing to rise that bad they can go back to smoking whatever they were. Ive seen fan paintjobs with more imagination and creativity.

This game is offically dead to me. Congrats FFG

5 minutes ago, Velvetelvis said:

Hey everybody! Over here!

It's a super informative thread that's really going places and totally not a **** show of people arguing about spaceship fiction.

You're right. My apologies for the disgression.
I will keep my disdain for pigeon-wing for myself :P

1 minute ago, Zeoinx said:

To top it off, they chose the most boring paintjob ever imagined for the ships. Black and White. No Detail, no imagination, no....well anything. If FFG things I want the x-wing to rise that bad they can go back to smoking whatever they were. Ive seen fan paintjobs with more imagination and creativity.

That's harsh. 
But if the model really has moving ailerons, I hope they do the same with Red Squadron classic model next. 'cos I don't like this color scheme either.

40 minutes ago, Giledhil said:

I never said it was impossible, but that making it a standart manoeuver is stupid.

Each time we see it in the UE (or even in the new canon), its either a ballsy manoeuver by an especaially skilled pilot, or a necessity ( if I remember right, in Specter of the past, Rogue Squ. pilots wonder if its safe, since they would be obliged to do it since their ailerons have been rigged with explosives...).

So yeah, no problem having a super skilled pilot doing something usual once in a while. But having every X-wing flap like a pigeon every other turn is NOT thematic, at all.

Geez, it's not flapping the way you think it is. :/

4 minutes ago, Zeoinx said:

Uh.

That's just the partisan paintjob. Not FFG's fault. Geez. Bye then.

1 minute ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Uh.

That's just the partisan paintjob. Not FFG's fault. Geez. Bye then.

At least we can be sad they choose that one over the blue squadron scheme.
And that way, they invented X-wing pilots, when they had loads of canon ones from the Scarif battle to use !

7 minutes ago, Giledhil said:

I even enjoyed some of the episodes. But I really don't think it's a wise move to keep that kind of works in the same canon as the movies. I understand the wholistic point of view, but I'm sceptic about how this will end.

Fair. While I think Rebels works in canon , I do understand the concern.

20 minutes ago, Giledhil said:

It matters when you are trying to lure a new player into the game. Not easy for a newbie to tell the good cards from the bad ones, when it could have been so much simpler to errata card costs (heck, they even FAQed upgrade slots, why not prices??).

Most new players that I've worked with are too busy having an amazing time learning how to play the basic game to worry about power level and tournament statistics. That kind of thinking doesn't really pop up until  a player has been playing for a few months and graduates from the newbie stage to the mid-level stage.

I also know a player that likes to play with every single card he obtains at least once and enjoys the game immensely that way. He doesn't care about his W/L record so much as the discovery of using all of the different mechanics in the game, even the bad ones. He knows I'm a competitive player and he'll say something like "you guys think this card is bad huh? Cuz I think it's super fun." I think there's a lot of players like this that just legitimately enjoy cards irregardless of their power level. 

The Rookie pilot does serve a purpose, even if that purpose is just to be a card that newbie players use after they buy their first core set, that is a legitimate purpose.

Edited by Tvboy

2 minutes ago, Tvboy said:

The Rookie pilot does serve a purpose, even if that purpose is just to be a card that newbie players use after they buy their first core set, that is a legitimate purpose.

I don't know; it would have been simple enough to change rookie's cost instead of creating the PS1 generic. Having more cards that fill the same role is kind of pointless to me. 
And anyway, most of us would have bought the pack with the new model, even if the generic pilot card was the same.

25 minutes ago, Zeoinx said:

I love the look of the new paint job. I guess me getting a paint scheme I like is ruining the game somehow for you.

Goodbye.

Listen mates. Its totally fine not to be a huge fan of the U-wing but the Y-wing is garbage in universe (That doesn't stop me from loving it) and pretty good in game so does it really need a fix? The U wing was pretty bad in game, and definitely needed a fix to stay relevant. Ultimately I would be happy if tie punishers and A wings were super op and took up the entire board because those are my favorite ships in design/concept, but the A-Wing is in the same place as the Y. They both are good but not tourney tier ships, so enjoy using them and remember "If everyone's super then no one is."  

1 hour ago, Tvboy said:

Someone took a 4 ship rebel list including a rookie to...at least top 4 at a recent regional. Or was it top table?

Either way, it has use beyond strictly for newbs. 

1 hour ago, Icelom said:

You need to stop feeding him man.... 

I have agreed with all of your posts in this but your feeding the troll so hard. 

EDit: i am painfully aware that i just responded to him in the next post.... (i am the worst kind of person)

Now I have to take away a like from someone to give it too you. ^_^

15 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

I'd take it.  I will not be truly happy until I can see alt-art Antoc Merrick grinning up at me from my ship cards, officially.

Antoc Merrick, PS7, after you execute a manoeuvre, a friendly ship at range 1-2 may perform a free boost or barrel roll action, even if it is stressed.  26 points.

Yeah.

Him and Biggs both. Stache bros. (I don’t care how bad Biggs is at this point I’m still running it when it happens).

8 hours ago, Tvboy said:

I think FFG has said that changing points costs is taboo for X-Wing, but they have done it in Destiny. I honestly really hope they never do it in X-Wing, that would be way worse for the newbies than having the Rookie not be the best generic pilot. 

I don't see the problem in changing costs (more precisely, I don't see how changing cost is more problematic than deleting upgrade slots).
With a squad building app (which is now kind of mandatory, even for the beginners), that would be really easy to implement.