Sign in to follow this  
kjpw_88

AT-ST compared to an Imperial Knight

22 minutes ago, OMGBRICK said:

Now compare the price tags and you’ll see why I stopped playing GW games...

Tbh there's a lot more actual plastic in the GW model, and they had to design it from scratch and so on. FFG already had a design for an AT_ST, and just scaled it and CAD'd it onto sprues.

All that art and design is a big chnunk of model costs.

That said, obviously GW costs are usually too high....but model size isnt really going to have a huge impact on a comparison like this.

@Extropia I understand there’s a lot of factors in the pricing and I agree with you to an extent. But the ATST also comes with its rules, comes with tokens and cards, and the game rules are online for free. That Imperial Knight also requires you to buy a codex for its rules and a rulebook for game rules.

I still completely don’t buy that there’s $80 worth of extra plastic and design cost in that model. That model has been out for four years now and has only seen a $5-10 price dip. At what point will they decide they’ve recouped their design cost and lower the price? Or was that the dip we’ve seen and they’re still claiming that model is $130 worth of plastic?

1 minute ago, Ailowynn said:

$130?! Geez, now I remember why I’m always steering clear of GW...

My issue with GW isn't not primarily with the pricing of their models, as they typically include quite a few conversion bits and extra options, even if they do not always include all of the options that the unit can take. Although the price of the models did encourage me to switch to historical gaming with cheaper prices owing to lack of copyrights on say a Sherman tank. Yet here I am, partially as I won't have to purchase ~$100 worth of rulebooks every few years so I can play with my significantly more expensive miniatures purchased from the same company, unlike GW. 

1 hour ago, OMGBRICK said:

@Extropia I understand there’s a lot of factors in the pricing and I agree with you to an extent. But the ATST also comes with its rules, comes with tokens and cards, and the game rules are online for free. That Imperial Knight also requires you to buy a codex for its rules and a rulebook for game rules.

The AT-ST (and the other revealed units) also include plastic for modeling all weapons options without having to resort to kitbashing or purchasing a separate metal figure. 

Don't get me wrong....as i said i 100% agree that GW is overpriced, especially when you compare the Knight to the AT-ST.

But ultimately people pay it, so it's not really OVER priced. just....highly priced. The customers are just as much to blame ultimately. 

besides, i play Infinity as my primary game. On a model for model basis, GW prices don't feel that bad to me :D

(of course i can have a fully playable army with 10 guys that's also top level competitive in Infinity....and the models are metal. And insanely well sculpted and detailed.)

Edited by Extropia

2 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

My issue with GW isn't not primarily with the pricing of their models, as they typically include quite a few conversion bits and extra options, even if they do not always include all of the options that the unit can take. Although the price of the models did encourage me to switch to historical gaming with cheaper prices owing to lack of copyrights on say a Sherman tank.

This. Bolt Action is very reasonably priced and a good rule set if you're into historical gaming. Star Wars is where my heart is though so I was really happy to see FFG dip into wargaming.

1 minute ago, OMGBRICK said:

This. Bolt Action is very reasonably priced and a good rule set if you're into historical gaming. Star Wars is where my heart is though so I was really happy to see FFG dip into wargaming.

Besides, as the Sarge of the local Bolt Action group is fond of saying, if the rules for Legion stink, someone will come up with a conversion!

Much of the Historical gaming group at my FLGS is going to be going a bit more historical than usual for this game.... ;)

1 minute ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Besides, as the Sarge of the local Bolt Action group is fond of saying, if the rules for Legion stink, someone will come up with a conversion!

Much of the Historical gaming group at my FLGS is going to be going a bit more historical than usual for this game.... ;)

Why are all your Rebels painted like WW2 Soviets?

Oh... no reason.

6 hours ago, Extropia said:

Don't get me wrong....as i said i 100% agree that GW is overpriced, especially when you compare the Knight to the AT-ST.

But ultimately people pay it, so it's not really OVER priced. just....highly priced. The customers are just as much to blame ultimately. 

besides, i play Infinity as my primary game. On a model for model basis, GW prices don't feel that bad to me :D

(of course i can have a fully playable army with 10 guys that's also top level competitive in Infinity....and the models are metal. And insanely well sculpted and detailed.)

Overpriced doesn’t mean that people won’t pay for it, it only means that it costs more than it is worth. Ie the labor and goods aren’t worth the asking price. But given that GW had a virtual monopoly on space fantasy miniature combat for what, nigh on 30 years? It’s not the least bit surprising that their prices would be severely inflated. No competition makes for absurd market variance. 

8 minutes ago, Derrault said:

Overpriced doesn’t mean that people won’t pay for it, it only means that it costs more than it is worth. Ie the labor and goods aren’t worth the asking price. But given that GW had a virtual monopoly on space fantasy miniature combat for what, nigh on 30 years? It’s not the least bit surprising that their prices would be severely inflated. No competition makes for absurd market variance. 

Heres a funny example. FB sisters of battle page everyones complaining about the prices of a single squad of 10 sisters, which is 80 bucks. So someone suggests using the newer sisters of silence and kit bash. Bro.. new sisters of silence are 80 dollars for a sqaud of 10. Get wrekt.. lol

18 hours ago, Extropia said:

Tbh there's a lot more actual plastic in the GW model, and they had to design it from scratch and so on. FFG already had a design for an AT_ST, and just scaled it and CAD'd it onto sprues.

Ffg have to pay for the Star Wars license - I'm reasonably certain that it isn't cheap.

On 2/14/2018 at 6:48 AM, Extropia said:

That said, obviously GW costs are usually too high....but model size isnt really going to have a huge impact on a comparison like this.

I wouldn't even go so far as to say that GW over charges for their product.  Their product is top notch.  But it is a product that I simply cannot afford.  Especially with other games (that I actually find more fun) to play.

There has gotta be some lucky bunch that got pre-release core boxes that already had a Bandai AT-ST that could post a side by side?

I'm curious to see body and leg differences.