Sign in to follow this  
ugrosh

Setting with combined genres?

I was thinking about a setting that combine horror tones, with modern and space opera. a kind of frankenstein setting.

Kind of war of reality rifts opened by terrorist attack or something alike, maybe some secret society . The players should guard those rifts and prevent the opening of news.

from those rifts came al things of monsters, entitys or species thta threat the reality.

Edited by ugrosh

I have been working an a setting called Rocketship Empires 1936 which is World War II in space, with dark forces sometimes emerging during Jump space travel, there is a Psionic organisation as well. I am just waiting for my friend to OK it as he published the original version and I need him to OK the art I am using, also he was going to put the original books out for general use when I spoke to him about it, but he has a family emergency at the moment so this has been put on the back burner for now. The point of my ramblings being that this kind of setting can absolutely work, look at the Torchwood series and the rift in Cardiff.

Neither am I to be honest, but I guess it's fantasy + western + horror. Yours is almost this, with fantasy + sci fi + horror. They have the multiverse, portals, guardians, creatures travelling around the planes, etc.

You can definitely mix themes thought much trouble. Really, star wars is sci-fi fantasy at the end of the day. For horror sci-fi, if you are looking for inspiration, I'd suggest the movie Event Horizon, and the games Maschine Zeit, and the Void (by wildfire). Their some great cross over settings floating around and really, a lot of what is popular technically is already cross genre. The classic Chthulu games are horror noir.

I started a campaign that is similar to Penny Dreadful and League of Extraordinary Gentleman. It’s a combination of Horror, Fantasy, Steampunk & Weird War. So far The player are having fun with it. With this system you can make anything work. ?