Sign in to follow this  
Kieransi

Is scum kind of... done?

Not trying to create any problems here. I love scum, they're one of my favorite three factions to play. Just wondering if what FFG planned for Scum is now kind of done. 

When Scum came out, the idea was that yeah, this is everyone who doesn't quite fit into Rebels vs. Scum. The Protista of Star Wars. Bounty Hunters, Hutt Space, and any random bad (or are they secretly good?) guys who show up in-between the main battles. But now we've got the full Episode V bounty hunter lineup, plus a few Clone Wars era bounty hunters, we've got Jabba and his whole posse, we've got almost all the stuff from the whole Star Wars Galaxies thing, we've got Xizor and his whole posse, and we've got Unkar. We've even got Nym.

So is Scum in a holding pattern now? Are we waiting to see Solo and Episode IX to see if there's more stuff for Scum? Not being rude, I'm just feeling happy that Scum seems to have done all that it set out to do (at least until more movies come out)!

Also wanted to ask, if you don't think Scum's in a holding pattern, what's next for Scum? What is left that a younger person or someone not well-versed in obscure Star Wars lore is going to walk into a game cafe and say "ooh, I want to buy that game!"

Considering I know some people who got into the game because of Scum and know several more who love it, I think sticking a fork in Scum would be an unwise decision. While the lack of a Scum ship in the wave 24 announcement is puzzling, I think it has more to do with Solo being so close than anything else.

As for what's next, I will continue to name the Gauntlet Fighter as a possibility, especially since its promance in the Clone Wars cartoon and Rebels. For some people, those shows are their Star Wars, so seeing the Gauntlet (as well as the Ghost and TAP) can be attention grabbing. 

There has also been people asking for the Ark Angel, the ship of Doctor Aphra, a character from the Darth Vader comic and her own self-titled one.

Cad Bane's Xandu's Blood is another ship I've seen asked for that can draw on some Clone Wars nostalgia.

We still have some Star Wars Galaxies designs like the Dunelizard that I see a fan base for. 

There are still more possibilities for more Scum ships, including several Epic ships. Heck, from conversations I've seen on this forum, I think an Action VI Transport (with titles like the Wild Karrde) would be well received. calling it quits now on Scum feels like leaving money on the table.

They historically withold parts of a wave that are attached to a movie until Disney does the big merchandise release for the associated movie. This happened with Episode 7, and Episode 8 - I would be under no suprise if the new Han Solo movie has a similar embargo.

So I guess this suggests - shock, horror - that there's a new Scum ship coming in the new Han Solo movie, in which we learn about Han Solo, the Smuggler and his acquisition of the Millennium Falcon, among his many exploits before he ended up a recruit to the Rebels in Episode IV: A New Hope.

I'm so very glad they elected not to let us know which ship is coming out yet, it might spoil the surprise of which characters of negotiable loyalty might be in the movie!

It's Han Solo.

I didn't say scum's dead, I just asked if Scum was done. Like, has scum accomplished everything it set out to do as a faction? Sure, there's plenty of stuff left to do, like I said, and there's going to be things in future movies that fit, but does the existence of Jabba and all the OT bounty hunters mean that scum is finally complete? Just wondering. Kind of like how I felt like Imperials were complete with the GUNBOAT or I feel Rebels will be complete if the U-Wing and X-Wing become competitively viable. Like, what else do we need for Scum to feel like we've got most of the Star Wars stuff we really care about?

1 hour ago, Squark said:

I'm pretty sure the Scum Wave 14 release is Solo-related, and thus still being kept under wraps.

Could be a two product wave like Wave 5, but maybe there's a huge Scum ship on the way -- and if they keep with their pattern, there's a good chance it will be packaged with a small Scum ship.

40 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

I didn't say scum's dead, I just asked if Scum was done. Like, has scum accomplished everything it set out to do as a faction? Sure, there's plenty of stuff left to do, like I said, and there's going to be things in future movies that fit, but does the existence of Jabba and all the OT bounty hunters mean that scum is finally complete? Just wondering. Kind of like how I felt like Imperials were complete with the GUNBOAT or I feel Rebels will be complete if the U-Wing and X-Wing become competitively viable. Like, what else do we need for Scum to feel like we've got most of the Star Wars stuff we really care about?

Man that is a far deeper and more subjective question than can really be pondered on these forums

53 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

The list I gave above still applies. I want the Gauntlet, the Ark Angel, and the Wild Karrde. For me, Scum (or any other faction) is complete when all possible ships are available. Considering the number of ships that is and it is growing with new content, the game is probably gonna die before I think it is done. 

2 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Not really, no. And the sequel trilogy has not added much in that regard

I really can't think of something that would really qualify for sub-faction status in Scum, particularly since groups like Black Sun, the Hutt Cartels, and Mandalorians are not differentiated from. 

Maybe Trade Federation?

3 hours ago, Kieransi said:

Scum seems to have done all that it set out to do

Yes.  It has established itself as the third faction in the game and proven itself more than capable (accepting that the wheel of balance has, for now, turned against them).  All that’s needed for parity is the Epic two-section huge ship.  Then FFG are on maintenance duty like the other factions.

4 hours ago, catachanninja said:

We just had the summer of scum with the croc and guns for hire along with normal releases, people need to settle down. 

Thank you.  I was about to say the same. 

It is worth noting that Scum has been the refuge for Legends materials in most waves. and there are plenty more bounty hunters, criminals, crime bosses, and other shady characters in Legends (and the ships associated with them) to mine for stuff.