Sign in to follow this  
lyinggod

More Knowledges skills vs Talents

There has been talk on the forums about more Knowledge skills vs Talents for Knowledge specialization (or other skills). To prevent skill bloat, the latter seems to the better choice. With that in mind, I am working on a Pulp setting that will include talents that represent skill specializations. Such specializations will not be limited to just knowledge skills. My preference is to try to keep to the basic format of talents listed below. This is inspired by Specialized Knowledge talent from the Expanded Talents lists but I felt that it was be too specific for what I wanted so I increased the Tier to 2. My question is the wording of these Talents exceeds Tier 2  in effectiveness. I would prefer to start at Tier 2 with these so I may have to further limit the scope of the description.

I have other talents that I will come with once I have a better idea of how to approach these specializations.

Any thoughts on whether these are sufficiently focused for Tier 2 or better phrasing to make them fall within indicated bounds would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Librarian
Tier: 2
Activation: Actjve
Ranked: Yes
The Character is a master of navigating libraries and other repositories of knowledge. Using such locations takes 1 hour per [DI] level. Character may reduce the difficulty of Knowledge checks made within such locations by 1 per rank in Librarian to a minimum of 1. Spend [AD][AD] to reduce the amount of time necessary by 1/2 hour. Particularly small libraries may result in [SE]. 

Supernaturalist
Activation: Active
The Character is a master of the occult and otherworldly knowledge. Once per session, the character may reduce the difficulty of Knowledge checks made relating to the supernatural by 1 per rank in Supernaturalist to a minimum of 1. 

If the Supernaturalist skill was instead for History (world), History (Europe), or History (England) what do you feel the Tiers would be for each?

Arm Chair Tourist
The character is well read on many cities and countries. For each rank, pick one of the following continental groups; North America, South America, Europe/Australia, Africa, Asia. Once per session, the character may reduce the difficulty of Knowledge checks by 1 when attempting to recall a fact about that area. 

Well Traveled
The character is well traveled and can find his way about more easily then most. The character may reduce the difficulty of Survival checks made for the purpose of finding a location on established travel routes and cities by 1 per rank to a minimum of one.

I love your Arm Chair Tourist talent name.

I can't comment on the validity of the tiering, it looks okay to me....I might do once an encounter because it's already specific.  I'm not a veteran in the narrative system though, so if the movement is saying session specific then go with the movement. 

If you're reaching for talent creation and helping out more specifications, try looking at this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outline_of_academic_disciplines

For example, in my own setting I decided to take the above to branch out the knowledge skill into four different skills.I did this for how magic works, so you might not do the same.

• Mortality (history, finance, politics)
  • Natural (sciences). 
  • Occult (anything super natural)
  • Systems (like identifying patterns or knowing how a pattern works - like Math or Philosophy)
Edited by rikrokola