Hrathen

Optimised Prototype

From what I can make out:

"Increase your shield value by 1

Once per round when you are making a primary weapon attack you may spend 1 die to remove 1 shield from the defender."

I usually am not the guy who can make out the cards on the screen that don't have their own image, but this one seems pretty clear.

And Awesome!

It does sort of seem like there is a lot of room for more text on that card.  Like...maybe you also receive a stress token afterwards or something, or cannot otherwise modify your results.  Maybe not, but maybe - that text is only taking up a small part of the overall card size.  Could well be blank, but...

2 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

At first I thought it said "...you may spend 1 die to recover 1 shield" and I got very excited for Imperial regen. But alas, you are right, I am wrong. 

Still no imperial regen.

*Sad trombone*

Don't be surprised if a continuation of that card in another paragraph says something like this, "If you spent a die to to deal a shield damage, you may recover 1 shield." Krennic has a lot of new Imperial tech and him implementing the first iteration of Imperial shield regen would make sense. 

Just now, RStan said:

Don't be surprised if a continuation of that card in another paragraph says something like this, "If you spent a die to to deal a shield damage, you may recover 1 shield." Krennic has a lot of new Imperial tech and him implementing the first iteration of Imperial shield regen would make sense. 

That would be sweet. Whatever else is on that condition card better be good because while getting an extra shield without using up a mod slot is nice, cancelling 1 die to remove 1 shield from the defender is pointless `90% of the time, since if that die was a hit then it was going to remove a shield anyway. And it's pointless if you're shooting at a ship with no shields left. At 5 points, I hope Krennic is more useful than that. 

More than likely its blank space.

Because seriously, if it has text saying "Discard this if the ship with Krennic is destroyed" then he will go right with hux in the binders....has a very, very specific and powerful use, but in general complete crap. Also it wouldnt make any sense, the flavor of it is its his masterpiece...why would it magically lose his modifications because he got his *** kicked? Deathstar didnt go away that quick....

Edited by Vineheart01

12 minutes ago, RStan said:

If anything is their it will be a negative thing not more positives. 5pts for +1shield and damage mod is pretty strong already.

quite frankly, i DONT want imperial regen.

Too many lists are strictly considered deadly because of that stupid regen ability being abused, forcing 1shot alphas to win against it. I would prefer regen to be removed, or at bare minimum Gonk-type effects is the only way to do it (every other turn, eats actions or some other valuable asset).

6 minutes ago, Icelom said:

If anything is their it will be a negative thing not more positives. 5pts for +1shield and damage mod is pretty strong already.

it's really "damage", it's a guarantee of damage that DOES NOT STACK with more damage (contrast with Sabine Wren -crew-) because it is instead replacing a result with a guaranteed result. You're only gaining damage if the result rolled badly.

but even that guaranteed result isn't really damage, as it is shields only (i.e, you literally can't kill anything with it...contrast with Sabine -crew- again)

and four points for shield upgrade is designed to be so murderously overcosted that you would never EVER consider it

Krennic as is kinda, imo, exceedingly "bleh". Even as much as I love ignoring dice,  that last line will make or break him

Edited by ficklegreendice

Result means anything? Even blanks?

The card reminds me of my favorite TIE fighter fix: being able to cancel results to deal one damage. Maybe that way they test the waters for something similar? Please?

Other than that I would like to put this on Vader or a Gunboat. Vader can easily cancel a die because often you roll just 1 damage and add the crit. And the Gunboat can use it when attacking with primary while the Harpoon is not yet reloaded or the TL is not yet taken back. A shield is often all you can hope for...

5 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

The card reminds me of my favorite TIE fighter fix: being able to cancel results to deal one damage. Maybe that way they test the waters for something similar? Please?

Other than that I would like to put this on Vader or a Gunboat. Vader can easily cancel a die because often you roll just 1 damage and add the crit. And the Gunboat can use it when attacking with primary while the Harpoon is not yet reloaded or the TL is not yet taken back. A shield is often all you can hope for...

A blank is a result but in a case of shooting at Inquisitor, for example, you may as well spend a hit to drop a shield.

Oh wait, I just realized that Krennic specifies that you can put it on a ship with "3 or less" shields. I though it was "less than 3" for some reason.

But that means it definitely won't have any sort of regen- no way they're going to give regen to Quickdraw. As it stands right now, even if the rest of the condition card is blank, Quickdraw is hands down the best target for Optimized Prototype (Huh, funny that the acronym for that is OP). +1 shield means 1 more opportunity to proc her ability and the more times she fires the more chances that she'll have a shot where she wants to use OP, especially early in the game when both she and her opponents still have shields. 

My first thought was putting him on Whisper. She already has a crew slot for him, and with four dice it wouldn't be unusual to have a blank to spend before you get your FCS target lock. Makes her an even bigger points sink though...

8 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

results mean anything, even blanks which makes this super powerful on a tie. do you ignore a 12pt tie and let it strip a shield every turn? or do you waste time burning down a tie that can keep its token for defense?

6 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

i wouldnt put it on a Gunboat.

They get the +1 shield but gunboats are literally never firing primary weapons, and its primary only.

You're right because there is probably a better choice. But I don't think it's really bad on a gunboat. At least mine shoots primaries every now and then. If the other ship has reliably mods however then it might be worth it. If you take Krennic for some reason...

2 minutes ago, AlexW said:

A blank is a result but in a case of shooting at Inquisitor, for example, you may as well spend a hit to drop a shield.

That's pretty awesome. So a typical Vader roll has 1 hit+1 crit + 1focus/blank. Now you cancel the focus/blank to deal 1 shield trying to push your crit through, and keep your focus for defense? Sign me in!

Just now, jagsba said:

results mean anything, even blanks which makes this super powerful on a tie. do you ignore a 12pt tie and let it strip a shield every turn? or do you waste time burning down a tie that can keep its token for defense?

Not sure it'd fit on a TIE Fighter so much as, say, a TIE Advanced.  The ATC for +1 cost usually considered a given for it, owing to its low attack value of only 2 dice.

But this gives you another option - equip, say, Sensor Jammer for free.  And your attacks (at least against shielded targets) are going to go through just as easily (well, better, actually) than ATC would have given you.

3 minutes ago, AngryAlbatross said:

could you combo this with accuracy corrector?

1 shield and 2 hits against anything is pretty good

Hrm.  I think so, yeah.

So you attack with 2 dice, regardless of what you roll, you immediately spend 1 of them to knock down 1 shield via "Optimized Prototype".  Then cancel the remaining result to add 2 'hit' results via AC?  That seems like it is legal.

Not bad - another good option for a TIE Advanced, then, where Accuracy Corrector is free.

(I mean, granted, 2 'hit' results aren't going to actually get through on nearly anything in the game, right now, but conceptually this is solid...)

Edited by xanderf