Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Smashotron

Have Chimaera, do I need Vanilla ISD?

Recommended Posts

I recently left the shipyard for open space with the Chimaera, Gladiator, and the core set. I am wondering if I need a Vanilla ISD if I already have the Chimaera. I glanced at the cards on the wiki but am too green to understand if any are must-haves, especially the Admirals. Let me know your thoughts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes and no.

There are some good cards in the ISD pack, the I & II variants are cool, and running 2 ISDs is fun.

But, if you’re running a core set, glad, and Chimaera you might get more play (and variety) getting a few other ships first.

 

 

Edited by NerfYoda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a couple of things you might want in addition to the ISD-I and ISD-II ships themselves.

First, the titles: Avenger and Relentless are great, Devastator is good. There's nowhere else you can get them.

Boosted Comms is important on the Quasar Fire and this upgrade only comes in the ISD and the Home One expansions.

Captain Needa is kind of nice to have, especially if you want to pull Turbolaser Reroute Circuits shenanigans with ships that don't have an Evade.

Darth Vader is great with ships that need re-rolls (ie ships with lots of red dice). This is probably for Arquitens-based fleets and Cymoon Refits.

Ruthless Strategists is situationally useful for fleets that want to force damage on to enemy squadrons.

The other upgrades are not of great use, I would say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, if you are a new player then the Support Officer who lets you change all your command dials and the 6 points officers that allow you to switch to a specific command at any time are great tools to "fix" misplanned commands.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smashotron said:

The Cymoon has been my favorite ship so far and I recently watched two Arqs chew up an ISD so Vader could be a great addition. I also forgot that I'm missing out on those Titles as well. Thanks guys!

If it is only the cards, some are easy to get. Many have 2+ ISD and might not need the uniques. So you can get the titels, Vader, Needa. 

And one other good part, when you love the Cymoon, with a standard ISD you can use two Cymoon, because you have two extra ship sheet and cards in the Chimaera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess your answer comes down to if you see yourself running 2 ISDs in a list in the near future. If yes, you should get as mentioned above it has its own set of good upgrades too. If not I think you can afford to wait and get other expansions that may be more critical to your list building preferences

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Smashotron said:

I recently left the shipyard for open space with the Chimaera, Gladiator, and the core set. I am wondering if I need a Vanilla ISD if I already have the Chimaera. I glanced at the cards on the wiki but am too green to understand if any are must-haves, especially the Admirals. Let me know your thoughts!

There are a few useful things in the pack.

First off, the ISD 1 and 2 are really, REALLY good ships.  Don't let all the attention on the new hotness Chimera fool you, the ISD2 is a mid-range monster and the ISD 1 can utterly wreck people close up.  They also fill the "I do EVERYTHING great" role while the new ships are a lot more specialized.  The ISD 1 in particular is a top-tier combat carrier.  Here's a suggestion:  Throw the Devastator title onto an ISD2 with SW-7 Ion Batteries.  Once you start losing some defense tokens, each of those supercharged shots is adding up to 4 blue dice to your attacks - 4 dice that are automatically counted as damage no matter what you roll.  You can roll as many as 4 red and 11 blue dice with the right combination of objectives and commands, a guaranteed minimum of 11 damage up to 15. Nothing in the Chimera pack can match that firepower.

At the least, I'd suggest getting the original titles and Darth Vader from a friend or ebay.  Also, Slaved Turrets is a solid upgrade for ships like the Arquitens that typically only want to make one attack each round anyway.

If you go the ebay route, I'd suggest looking for the following additional cards for your fleet:

  • X17 Turbolaser Batteries
  • Assault Proton Torpedoes
  • Ordnance Experts
  • Leading Shots
  • Admiral Motti

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fleet building wise, Id put squadrons(2 of each imperials and a single copy of rogues and villains) and gozanties(2) to top priority when you expand your fleet, but Id suggest getting an Isd, and a possible second later on, depending on your budget and your goals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to play double isd then the isd1/2 is good. I really think the main drawcards for this pack now are the ship variants themselves both of which are still very capable of roles the new ones cant.

Apart from that, if you can get a cheap admiral vader and avenger title somewhere i dont think the upgrades are critical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Admiral Vader is awesome and seems critical to the Cymoons. Outside of a tourney, players will usually let you proxy. In a nutshell:

Do you badly want to run 2 ISDs? yes, then buy the ISD pack. No, then buy anything else from imperials first. 

 

Variety is better than redundancy early on. I’d say buy one each of expansions until you have them all (this includes CC and squadrons) and then buy doubles of stuff you really like or want to run two of

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From a buyers perspective, it is of course also cheaper to get the old ISD expansion, and with the bases shipped with Chimaera you'll be able to field two Cymoons straight away with Vader, for example. The upgrade cards provided in the ISD pack are almost all solid, so you can get a lot of use out of the pack. 

And of course one shouldn't forget that this is where you get the classic ISD paintjob. Flying two ISDs side by side that are this visually distinct is just great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, thecactusman17 said:

There are a few useful things in the pack.

First off, the ISD 1 and 2 are really, REALLY good ships.  Don't let all the attention on the new hotness Chimera fool you, the ISD2 is a mid-range monster and the ISD 1 can utterly wreck people close up.  They also fill the "I do EVERYTHING great" role while the new ships are a lot more specialized.  The ISD 1 in particular is a top-tier combat carrier.  Here's a suggestion:  Throw the Devastator title onto an ISD2 with SW-7 Ion Batteries.  Once you start losing some defense tokens, each of those supercharged shots is adding up to 4 blue dice to your attacks - 4 dice that are automatically counted as damage no matter what you roll.  You can roll as many as 4 red and 11 blue dice with the right combination of objectives and commands, a guaranteed minimum of 11 damage up to 15. Nothing in the Chimera pack can match that firepower.

At the least, I'd suggest getting the original titles and Darth Vader from a friend or ebay.  Also, Slaved Turrets is a solid upgrade for ships like the Arquitens that typically only want to make one attack each round anyway.

If you go the ebay route, I'd suggest looking for the following additional cards for your fleet:

  • X17 Turbolaser Batteries
  • Assault Proton Torpedoes
  • Ordnance Experts
  • Leading Shots
  • Admiral Motti

I second this. 

The new ISD specializations are neat, and can do some neat stuff, but the ISD I and more particularly the ISD II are powerful ships an imperial player would be remiss to ignore.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Chimera expansion is not a substitute for the ISD expansion. They are different ships with different stuff in the boxes. Right now the Chimera is the new "big shiny" everyone is excited about, but I'd recommend the ISD expansion as a must have for any Imperial player. It's a great ship in a pack with great upgrades. I had an ISD and bought the Chimera which then prompted me to buy another ISD!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dameon13 said:

The Chimera expansion is not a substitute for the ISD expansion. They are different ships with different stuff in the boxes. Right now the Chimera is the new "big shiny" everyone is excited about, but I'd recommend the ISD expansion as a must have for any Imperial player. It's a great ship in a pack with great upgrades. I had an ISD and bought the Chimera which then prompted me to buy another ISD!

It's a great ship but most of the non-unique upgrades kinda suck, actually.   Most of the really good general upgrades for it come from the core set or other ships - Like the Chimera expansion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, thecactusman17 said:

It's a great ship but most of the non-unique upgrades kinda suck, actually.   Most of the really good general upgrades for it come from the core set or other ships - Like the Chimera expansion. 

Jup, only Boosted Comms and Ruthless Strategists are really good (and played) cards from the ISD. And imo the real reason to get an ISD (beside the ISD I and ISD II ship sheets).
Sadly for the Ruthless, it is only in this box. If you want him, you need to get the ISD box. Unless someone has way to many and is willing to trade it. Boosted Comms are as well in the Home one (another big ship).
@FFG: Ruthless Strategists and Boosted Comms as promo Upgrade would be nice ;). And not something like a Bomber Commando Center, where everyone has way to many, or where they are easy to get :).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×