SithArissa

Warriors rejoice

58 minutes ago, Richardbuxton said:

Ooh, that makes the tree even more interesting 

I know, right?  Like I said, a spiral of ferocious death!   Combined with the fact that Embrace Your Hate applies to any melee attack, and Inner Peace is a once per encounter awesomeness...

As surprising as it might seem, I've developed a concept for a Warrior character :blink: .

Edited by Absol197

12 minutes ago, Absol197 said:

As surprising as it might seem, I've developed a concept for a Warrior character :blink: .

?

I do think it’s fantastic that FFG finally introduced a talent that can actually reduce your conflict, it seemed like a mechanic ripe for use and Juyo is such a great place for it.

Juyo is so good I just don’t even know where to start looking for a spec to pair it with 

Really like the talent trees and think they all look awesome.  However I am disappointed I will have to create a homebrew Jar'kai talent tree or an alternate Niman talent tree that has at least 2 talents based on it.   

27 minutes ago, Absol197 said:

Haha it seems you have taken a liking to fighting! None of this talking and potion making, now is the time to fight!

On 6/18/2018 at 5:41 AM, Nytwyng said:

But that doesn’t play into the whole, “But teh Diznee is evuls and wants to distroy muh (Ster Werz/Merbel Comixes/childhood/adulthood/personhood) cuz they’re evuls!!” narrative that a lot of otherwise bright and level-headed people insist on subscribing to.

In this narrative, LFL operating under Disney ownership exactly the same way they did as an independent company is proof positive of Disney’s soulless corporate greed. Star Wars as a multimedia and merchandise franchise before the Disney purchase? No problem. Star Wars as a multimedia and merchandise franchise after the Disney purchase? A mercenary cash grab.

With all of their past and present imprints, such as Touchstone, Miramax, even Marvel and LFL, Disney’s done a pretty good job of just getting out of the way and letting the subsidiary studios do what they already know how to do. That doesn’t mean their output will always resonate with every audience member, though. And for some, their views of Disney will color their reactions to anything put out by a studio that they know is owned by Disney. Not saying that’s a good or bad thing...just that it’s a thing.

And now, back to Knights of Fate talk....

My main bone of contention with the new films isn't the Mouse. My problem is JJ Abrams. The man thinks every franchise will benefit from the rapid frenetic-kinetic pacing and style of a superhero movie. His technique is to hit the beats, quips, and topes at 100+ mph and not bother with anything else. This cheeky action blockbuster zeitgeist has done a disservice to both Star Wars and Star Trek, IMO. Both franchises require pacing that allows the story to breath, the characters to resonate, and the mythology to build because, while they have a lot of action, there is more to them than that. But, that's just me, and I confess to being a culture and literature snob. 

From reading this thread, the book looks like it will be tres awesome. I plan to pick mine up from the gaming store today. I was mildly disappointed to see the warrior still has no relfect, but the sheer amount of toughness and durability in these specs, as well as the dodge options, effectively makes up for it.

1 hour ago, Vondy said:

My main bone of contention with the new films isn't the Mouse. My problem is JJ Abrams. The man thinks every franchise will benefit from the rapid frenetic-kinetic pacing and style of a superhero movie. His technique is to hit the beats, quips, and topes at 100+ mph and not bother with anything else. This cheeky action blockbuster zeitgeist has done a disservice to both Star Wars and Star Trek, IMO. Both franchises require pacing that allows the story to breath, the characters to resonate, and the mythology to build because, while they have a lot of action, there is more to them than that. But, that's just me, and I confess to being a culture and literature snob. 

I don't think there is any way to please all Star Wars fans.  There's always someone to blame, someones acting, some plot point off the rails, some political grievance, sexism, failed head canon, missed pet idea, hated movie alien, bad military strategy, destroyed childhood, the actual problems with the movies, Mary Sue, etc and too many fans.

Edited by Eoen

9 minutes ago, Eoen said:

I don't think there is any way to please all Star Wars fans.  There's always someone to blame, someones acting, some plot point off the rails, some political grievance, sexism, failed head canon, missed pet idea, hated movie alien, bad military strategy, destroyed childhood, the actual problems with the movies, Mary Sue, etc and too many fans.

I didn't say there was a way to please us all.  But, your argument amounts to a dismissal of a criticism rather than an engagement with it. Why bother saying anything at all? What underlying psychological motive drives that? For me, none of the things you mention really set me off. In fact, overall, the production values of the new movies has been superb. Sure, I have some modest criticicisms of some of those things in the new movies, but for me, the thing that has left me cold has been the director. If I see "Directed by JJ Abrams" on a movie I am inclined to walk away. He's a one trick pony who makes a style of film I don't care for irrespective of whether its Star Wars or not. The new movies are spectacular, but not particuliarly meaningful. And the blame for that rests fairly squarely on Mr. Abram's shoulders. But, enough of this. Back to Knights of Fate! Which, blessedly, does not say "Edited by JJ Abrams"...

Edited by Vondy

1 minute ago, Vondy said:

I didn't say there was a way to please us all.  For me, none of the things you mention really set me off. Sure, I have modest criticicisms of some of those things in the new movies, but for me, my main problem has been the director. And, for me, that's a big problem. If I see "Directed by JJ Abrams" on a movie I am inclined to walk away. He's a one trick pony who makes a style of film I don't care for irrespective of whether its Star Wars or not. But, enough of this. Back to Knights of Fate! Which, blessedly, does not say "Edited by JJ Abrams"...

I wasn't really referring specifically to your post.  I've always liked JJ Abrams movies for what they are, I don't have a problem with his directing style.  My cousin on the other hand hates him with a passion, and it's tainted his enjoyment of the films.

Just now, Eoen said:

I wasn't really referring specifically to your post.  I've always liked JJ Abrams movies for what they are, I don't have a problem with his directing style.  My cousin on the other hand hates him with a passion, and it's tainted his enjoyment of the films.

Its tainted mine, too. But, I should be clear: I loved Alias and enjoyed Almost Human. I'm sure what he did on Lost was excellent, too. Abrams is an excellent director for a certain kind of story and there is a reason Hollywood loves him. But he's not versatile and his style doesn't translate to everything. I have the same issue with Samuel L Jackson and a lot of other A-List actors. I absolutely love Jackson in Quentin Tarantino films and he is a great choice a lot of roles, but the truth is, he only plays one character: Samuel L Jackson. He had no business running SHIELD or being cast the head of the Jedi Council. Some idiot said: hey, how do we jam this super-popular A-Lister into the mix?! Its dissonant and leaves you wondering... how the heck did David Hasselhoff end up doing a better job at being Nick Fury? But, like I said, back to Knights of Fate

16 minutes ago, Luahk said:

I am excited to receive the book and read over it myself.

It’s a really excellent book, full of good stuff, I’ve wanted Juyo and Teras kasi specs forever.

2 hours ago, Vondy said:

I have the same issue with Samuel L Jackson and a lot of other A-List actors. I absolutely love Jackson in Quentin Tarantino films and he is a great choice a lot of roles, but the truth is, he only plays one character: Samuel L Jackson. He had no business running SHIELD or being cast the head of the Jedi Council. Some idiot said: hey, how do we jam this super-popular A-Lister into the mix?! Its dissonant and leaves you wondering... how the heck did David Hasselhoff end up doing a better job at being Nick Fury? But, like I said, back to Knights of Fate

I think you expected the wrong Nick Fury.

The Juyo spiral is super thematic and I love it.  The fact that you have two paths ultimately, one faster than the other, to get mastery is really intriguing.  And, you can take both paths if you have the XP, to try to walk a path between.  I really like the tree a lot.

Colossus was also awesome, fitting a niche that was shockingly absent. I also love the idea of a weird combination of Mystic and Colossus - that is a force-point generating machine (at least for the Dark Siders).

Steel Hand Adept also intrigued me a lot.  A **** of a lot.  Probably will be my next PC, honestly.

Both Sigs are amazing.  I know which one my Starfighter Ace is taking (especially because it works even in Space Combat), but for a Melee build, the other one also works.

My only real disappointment is that none of what we got synergizes well with Starfighter Ace.  It can all be used to make one more competent in broader areas, but few of the talents help me fly and shoot better.  The exception, ironically, is Juyo - Quick Strike and Lethal Blows can (I think?) be used with Gunnery, so it can make me a deadlier shot, and Inner Peace (eventually) will be useful for literally anybody.  (I'm also a bit upset Juyo is as expensive as it is, which in my current campaign will make it tricky to invest in... but I'm seriously considering it because Inner Peace is REALLY GOOD)

17 hours ago, Shlambate said:

Haha it seems you have taken a liking to fighting! None of this talking and potion making, now is the time to fight!

Not quite; I'm a martial artist iRL; my new character idea is someone who is a devotee of a mystical martial tradition (Steel Hand Adept) and the ways of peace that it teaches, but has not quite... mastered the emotional control needed to achieve that goal (Juyo Berserker).

So it's still a mystic-y story, but with the Warrior career :P .

58 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

@Vondy, JJ Abrams only directed TFA, not TLJ, that was Ryan Johnson, so it can’t simply be a problem with Abrams for your disappointment with the sequels to date. 

Actually, it can. You may not like that answer, but telling me I'm not accurately representing my own opinions is not your place. I'm aware Abrams didn't direct TLJ, but he created the context it emerged from, was still involved at the creative and production level with the film, and will be directing the follow up. For me, TFA was a spectacular film, which is to be expected from Abrams, but spectacular doesn't mean meaningful or good. Elsewhere I've mentioned that I felt TLJ was more hit than miss, but that I felt it was an uneven film, and it did have some serious story and presentation flaws. A significant contributing factor to that was, in my estimation, a result of having to follow on the heels of TFA and to deal with (or actively not deal with) with all of Abrams unresolved BS enigmas and troperism. We are not merely going to have to disagree about what my problem with the movies are because, quite frankly, the only person who can speak authoritatively on my mind is, gosh, you guessed it, me.

7 minutes ago, LordEnforcer said:

Face it both Rian Johnson and JJ Abrams have both screwed up 7 and 8.. along with Disney!

BTW how did this debate find its way into a thread about the new Warrior book? lol

Good question. However, personally, I enjoyed both movies, and have watche TFA countless times on Blue Ray.

19 hours ago, Absol197 said:

I know, right?  Like I said, a spiral of ferocious death!   Combined with the fact that Embrace Your Hate applies to any melee attack, and Inner Peace is a once per encounter awesomeness...

:rolleyes:

I just noticed that Embrace Your Hate is not a Force talent. That's a little weird to me that it's a Conflict talent but not a Force Talent. In fact, looking at it, most of Juyo Berserker is non-Force Talents, making this a terrifying option for all those Marauders that have been itching for a spec to make them even better at chopping up opponents!