Sign in to follow this  
The Steel Unicorn

Lack of Unicorn Clan Characters from old L5R?

Hey all,

I'm an old L5R player that's just decided to come back into the game now it's an LCG. I have to say that I'm intrigued by the new game and the format chosen for its return.

I'm a through and through Unicorn player...always have been and the one thing that really strikes me is that all the other clans have a lot of familiar faces from the old L5R - Lion get Toturi, Scorpion get Yojiro & Kachiko, Crane get Shizue, Hotaru, Crab Kisada and Tadaka...... you see where this is going?  The notable exception is Unicorn with only Ide Tadaji. Where's the Shono, Xieng Chi, Kamoko, Karasu, Chagatai?  Some of the Unicorn's finest? It was nice to see Shono, Haruko and Yasamura mentioned in the story leaflet in Into the Forbidden City though but where are the cards?

Come on FFG give the Unicorn some of their big names! We're feeling very left out and want to give old L5R players even more encouragement to pick up the new game. Just my thoughts...

Most clans so far have only had one or two returning faces, at least one of whom is the champion (or a new iteration of them, i.e. Doji Hoturi/Hotaru).  The Unicorn have a new champ in this go around so instead of two they're at one.  Be patient.

20 minutes ago, suburbaknght said:

Most clans so far have only had one or two returning faces, at least one of whom is the champion (or a new iteration of them, i.e. Doji Hoturi/Hotaru).  The Unicorn have a new champ in this go around so instead of two they're at one.  Be patient.

Hmmm.  In some cases its more than 2. Take Scorpion, they got at least 5:  Kachiko, Yojiro, Shoju (Champ), Hiroue, and even Miyako I think were in old L5R....

I can be patient though. We've got a clan expansion pack to look forward to. Hopefully it won't disappoint!

28 minutes ago, The Steel Unicorn said:

Hmmm.  In some cases its more than 2. Take Scorpion, they got at least 5:  Kachiko, Yojiro, Shoju (Champ), Hiroue, and even Miyako I think were in old L5R....

I can be patient though. We've got a clan expansion pack to look forward to. Hopefully it won't disappoint!

Hiroue is a new character.

Bayushi Miyako (Old5R) and Shosuro Miyako (Nu5R) are completely different characters, and are not even from the same generation.  Bayushi Miyako was born Toturi Miyako after Toturi ascended to the throne.  Also, she was definitely not a ninja/shinobi.  

Edited by Yogo Gohei

1 hour ago, Yogo Gohei said:

Hiroue is a new character.

Bayushi Miyako (Old5R) and Shosuro Miyako (Nu5R) are completely different characters, and are not even from the same generation.  Bayushi Miyako was born Toturi Miyako after Toturi ascended to the throne.  Also, she was definitely not a ninja/shinobi.  

Not even that.  Bayushi Miyako was born Toku Miyako, was adopted into the Toturi family by Toturi Tsudao, then married Bayushi Paneki.  From the grand daughter of a rice farmer to the commander of the Imperial Legions to the Scorpion champion.  She was one of my favorite characters.

But to address the original point, yes, Scorpion got three.  Most clans got two returning characters so far.  Some got only one.  Patience is a virtue (I mean, not of bushido, but in general).

11 hours ago, suburbaknght said:

Please understand that Shinjo Altansarnai is a genderswapped Shinjo Yokatsu. It is easier to miss than with Doji Hoturi/Hotaru, but Altansarnai isn't really new.

11 hours ago, The Steel Unicorn said:

As it currently stands all 7 clans have 5 to 7 unique carded characters (Phoenix have a few more listed due to their Clan pack being partially previewed). If you take into consideration that Altansarnai and Hotaru are genderswapped versions of oldL5R characters, you see that 5 clans have 2 old faces carded and 2 clans have 3 old face carded so far in the Core Set and Imperial Cycle.

Crab old faces:

• Hida Kisada
  • Yasuki Taka

Crane old faces:

• Doji Hotaru/Hoturi
  • Doji Shizue
  • Kakita Yoshi

Dragon old face:

• Kitsuki Yaruma
  • Togashi Yokuni

Lion old faces:

• Akodo Tutori
  • Ikoma Ujiaki

Phoenix

• Isawa Kaede
  • Shiba Tsukune

Scorpion

• Bayushi Shoju
  • Bayushi Kachiko
  • Bayushi Yojiro

Unicorn

• Ide Tadaji
  • Shinjo Altansarnai/Yokatsu

Some of the issue is that with many of the names that the OP listed for the Pony clan..... is that they are young/not born at this point in the story. Shono is young(ish), but will likely get a card soon due to the Lion/Pony conflict and his part in it from the dynasty pack story. I think Kamoko will be the big card in the Unicorn Clan pack or the next Dynasty Cycle, something makes me think that she'll be a highlight card. And speaking of the Khan.... Is Chagatai even going to be in this Rokugan if the other Moto don't come from the Burning Sands?

Apologies for my pentagenarian memory on some of the names - it's been a while. :)

Interesting analysis here of names. I still struggle a bit with the new game 'milieu' and can't relate it to old L5R. Maybe I shouldn't and just treat it as a parallel universe type of thing! I joined the CCG around the time of Jade edition and finished up at the end of Samurai edition.

It'd be great to see a highlight card of Kamoko as I ran Battle Maiden Switch/ Honour Run decks back then. Wasn't a great fan of the Moto ascendancy and pointedly backed Shinjo redemption following Yokatsu's *kolat! :angry:* fall from grace with Shono as my Champion candidate.

Hoping the Unicorn clan pack will be next in line to try and remove the perceived (by the fanbase) Unicorn inferiority following the first arc.

6 hours ago, OokamiGauru said:

Is Chagatai even going to be in this Rokugan if the other Moto don't come from the Burning Sands?

Here's his (and others) Inexperienced version, rotfl. 

L5C01_119.jpg

Edited by kempy

10 hours ago, Ultimatecalibur said:

Please understand that Shinjo Altansarnai is a genderswapped Shinjo Yokatsu. It is easier to miss than with Doji Hoturi/Hotaru, but Altansarnai isn't really new.

Is she?  What traits does she share with Yokatsu that are not just generic "unicorn" traits?

Hotaru and Kachiko have, essentially, the same relationship that Hotori and Kachiko had.  She is filling a similar role in the story that he did.

What does Altansarnai have?

5 hours ago, kempy said:

Here's his (and others) Inexperienced version, rotfl. 

L5C01_119.jpg

I understand that this is a joke, but just for clarification:  If Chags exists in this story line at all, isn't he a young kid right now?

4 hours ago, Yogo Gohei said:

Is she?  What traits does she share with Yokatsu that are not just generic "unicorn" traits?

Hotaru and Kachiko have, essentially, the same relationship that Hotori and Kachiko had.  She is filling a similar role in the story that he did.

What does Altansarnai have?

She is the Clan Champion parent to Shinjo Yasamura, Shinjo Shono and Shinjo Haruko. In oldL5R those character's parents were Clan Champion Shinjo Yokatsu and his wife Shinjo Chibokiko; in newL5R these character's parents are Clan Champion Shinjo Altansarni and Iuchi Daimyo Iuchi Daiyu.

Edited by Ultimatecalibur

On 13/2/2018 at 4:41 AM, Ultimatecalibur said:

Dragon old face:

• Kitsuki Yaruma
  • Togashi Yokuni

Kitsuki Yaruma never had a card. So he should not be an old face. Also, Dragon is not going to get an old face in the Phoenix expansion (unless there are multiple uniques).

9 hours ago, Bayushi Tsubaki said:

If you're looking for similar personality traits, just remember that Yokatsu didn't have any personality (poor early Unicorn players) and it would be a tragedy to copy that to Altansarnai. :lol:

This is legit.

I forgot that "Yokatsu is actually a Kolat Master and secretly pretty evil, dontcha know!" was retconned in much later, and at this point in the story he was just a big guy with a horse. 

Since Nu5R has made no mention of the Kolat whatsoever yet, it is safe to assume Altansarnai will not follow Yokatsu's path.

12 hours ago, Sendatsu said:

Kitsuki Yaruma never had a card. So he should not be an old face. Also, Dragon is not going to get an old face in the Phoenix expansion (unless there are multiple uniques).

Yaruma is an "old face" by being a carded version of a character that had existed in oldL5R.

On 2/13/2018 at 7:10 AM, kempy said:

Nope. Too old. Here he goes:

L5C01_194.jpg

I imagine that shadow looming over the child is from a Kolat in the backround.......

"Come child, I shall teach you the true ways of war while your parents are away.  Masters Taka and Kage could use a person with your talents"