Jump to content
gpd924

Overall Variety in MoM

Recommended Posts

Ok, so I'm on the fence about buying Mansions of Madness and all of its current expansions, being a huge Arkham Horror fan and all that.  But what's the verdict on how much variety there is in this game?  I'm hearing a lot of conflicting reports.  Like with Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror, I need to have 2 games never be exactly the same.  Does MoM also provide this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, never mind.  I find this article extremely convincing:  https://medium.com/tabletop-tribe/why-mansions-of-madness-2nd-edition-isnt-as-great-as-you-think-52110ee56b84

 

The paragraph heard round the world:  "Considering the lack of extensive narration, and the numerous 1st edition scenarios ripe for conversion, the initial offerings were fairly meagre. You can tackle each scenario multiple times and have it play out in subtly different ways, but at the end of the day it’s still the same story, and its replay value remains limited."

 

I guess this is a no-buy and FFG's first major flub of a game.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the one that i play the most from ffg and i got started with arkam horror, too. It's different, that's for sure. More elaborately scripted events, more narrative, the scenarios are more mysterious than your average AH game, you need to find stuff out. 

Each expansion adds in new map variations and little things to the older scenarios. A common complaint at the launch was that there were too few scenarii at the time, which restricted replay value for many, but that was then. Now, you have a lot of contents to dive into. 

That's my two cents.

btw... What'd be the point of making another AH? 

Edited by Aelitafrommars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. It's a fun game that appeals to all kinds of people.

Actually, that's one of my favorite things about it, that lots of 'non-gamer' people seem to really enjoy the atmosphere and gameplay.

 

The replay value is pretty good, at least if you shell out money for all the expansions. I have owned the game for well over a year but haven't had time to play all the scenarios yet! Of the few I have played multiple times, one scenario was rather similar (though not exactly), but I still enjoyed it immensely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming from a wargaming background, to board games and Imperial Assault, then discovering Mansions of Madness, I just love it - it's so different. And with 15 scenarios (with the release of Sanctum of Twilight) there's heaps to replay. If you played a scenario every few weeks you wouldn't have to revisit a scenario for over a year and it'd be fresh again. Like any game, don't play it to death, keep it fresh and keep a variety. Also, using different Investigators makes each scenario different yet again. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MoM2 is also very easy to learn — even very young or very casual players get that they can do two things on their turn, the illustrated rooms and the minis make it pretty obvious what is currently happening and if one person on the table knows the rules a bit, the rest of the players really don't need much of an explanation or preparation. Just grab a character that appeals to you and poke things in that creepy mansion.

That is why MoM2 has become my go to game with people who might enjoy a board game, but don't like complex rules or complex strategies. It's also great with kids. It probably means that I have played MoM2 more often with more different people than every other game in my collection.

And I find that playing a scenario that I know in and out with new people makes it interesting again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2018 at 6:17 PM, gpd924 said:

 Like with Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror, I need to have 2 games never be exactly the same.  Does MoM also provide this?

If that's what you need with your games, MoM2E may not be the game for you...  and that's fine.  Everyone has different tastes and requirements for games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2018 at 7:28 PM, gpd924 said:

I guess this is a no-buy and FFG's first major flub of a game.

Considering that I just read an article which listed MOM/2E as one of the top 10 bestselling strategy board games of 2017, I find this statement absolutely hilarious.

Arkham Horror also made the list, which I think shows how both games have their fans. But it's immature to confuse "This isn't exactly the game I'm looking for" with "This is a major flub for the company."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, pklevine said:

Considering that I just read an article which listed MOM/2E as one of the top 10 bestselling strategy board games of 2017, I find this statement absolutely hilarious.

The $100 MSRP makes that even more impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's likely one of the best board games I have ever played. If you play the same scenario twice in a row, fine, it can get repetitive and the surprise factor goes away a bit. However the base game comes with four fantastic scenarios, two of them with map variations. There are two scenarios as DLC for the app too, with different maps, and there are two major expansions (without counting the tiles collections and their scenarios) that also include 5 scenarios in total between them. Given their duration and variations, not once have I found the game unsurprising or interesting. 

Look, simply put, it's a really good game that appeals to the vast majority of players, give it a try and forget for a minute about the expansions. If you don't like it for some reason, I doubt you'd struggle to resell it to someone else given its popularity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018/02/14 at 9:30 PM, Juan4aigle said:

It's likely one of the best board games I have ever played. If you play the same scenario twice in a row, fine, it can get repetitive and the surprise factor goes away a bit. However the base game comes with four fantastic scenarios, two of them with map variations. There are two scenarios as DLC for the app too, with different maps, and there are two major expansions (without counting the tiles collections and their scenarios) that also include 5 scenarios in total between them. Given their duration and variations, not once have I found the game unsurprising or interesting. 

Look, simply put, it's a really good game that appeals to the vast majority of players, give it a try and forget for a minute about the expansions. If you don't like it for some reason, I doubt you'd struggle to resell it to someone else given its popularity. 

And each expansion has added variations to scenarios from previous expansions.  So there's a lot of replay ability

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, neosmagus said:

And each expansion has added variations to scenarios from previous expansions.  So there's a lot of replay ability

The only thing missing is an option to choose a map at the start of a scenario :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to complain.  Slightly.

I wish there were a way to select not to use all of the tiles, but still use all of the other components.  I have everything MoM2, and have been keeping the game in three boxes.  I'd rather not use all of the tiles every game, because I do not have a good sorting method.

Actually, anybody have a good tile sorting method?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have zip-lock bags where I have drawn the expansion symbol on them. So when the app needs a specific tile, I pick up the bag with the correct symbol and find the tile there. It makes finding tiles massively faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, totgeboren said:

I have zip-lock bags where I have drawn the expansion symbol on them. So when the app needs a specific tile, I pick up the bag with the correct symbol and find the tile there. It makes finding tiles massively faster.

I've done something similar by banding the tiles for each expansion separately (separately by small and large tiles).  During setup, I give each player a different expansion's tiles to divvy up the work of finding the tiles a bit.  It helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Duciris said:

I'm going to complain.  Slightly.

I wish there were a way to select not to use all of the tiles, but still use all of the other components.  I have everything MoM2, and have been keeping the game in three boxes.  I'd rather not use all of the tiles every game, because I do not have a good sorting method.

Actually, anybody have a good tile sorting method?

Yes.  I have tile trays.

One tray for base and another tray for each expansion,

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3912648/nicola-zee

I have all the expansions and all the trays fit nicely into the core box.

The base of the trays I cut out of foam board.

A friend of mine printed out the internal dividers using his 3-d printer

https://3d.firedrake.org/#MansionsofMadness

https://3d.firedrake.org/

 

 

 

Edited by Nicola Zealey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 12:30 PM, Juan4aigle said:

It's likely one of the best board games I have ever played. If you play the same scenario twice in a row, fine, it can get repetitive and the surprise factor goes away a bit. However the base game comes with four fantastic scenarios, two of them with map variations. There are two scenarios as DLC for the app too, with different maps, and there are two major expansions (without counting the tiles collections and their scenarios) that also include 5 scenarios in total between them. Given their duration and variations, not once have I found the game unsurprising or interesting. 

Look, simply put, it's a really good game that appeals to the vast majority of players, give it a try and forget for a minute about the expansions. If you don't like it for some reason, I doubt you'd struggle to resell it to someone else given its popularity. 

 

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:13 AM, neosmagus said:

And each expansion has added variations to scenarios from previous expansions.  So there's a lot of replay ability

I have to agree.  I love this game!  I thought it was great with just the base game and DLC but after adding all the expansions a couple months ago - that has made the game just that much better.  Sure the overall idea of a scenario is the same and can get boring if you play it over and over again - but having 13 scenarios to choose from means you don't have to play the same scenario all the time.  And with components and ideas from different expansions being mixed in randomly to the different scenarios - I don't think I have ever had 2 games of Mansions be exactly the same.

Lee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By far my favorite game. Last weekend I played with two friends who have never played it before, so I decided to play using the first scenario because it seems like a good gateway to the game. Normally I would have played another scenario, because I had already played the first one probably 5 or 6 times. But I was happily surprised because it threw down a map layout I was completely unfamiliar with, changed some elements as far as how to unlock a certain door, and incorporated some elements of the new Streets of Arkham expansion! Once we were into it, I was as mystified as to where our objective was as my friends, even if the story was the same and I knew the basics of what had to be done ultimately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2018 at 9:55 PM, Samea said:

MoM2 is also very easy to learn — even very young or very casual players get that they can do two things on their turn, the illustrated rooms and the minis make it pretty obvious what is currently happening and if one person on the table knows the rules a bit, the rest of the players really don't need much of an explanation or preparation. Just grab a character that appeals to you and poke things in that creepy mansion.

That is why MoM2 has become my go to game with people who might enjoy a board game, but don't like complex rules or complex strategies. It's also great with kids. It probably means that I have played MoM2 more often with more different people than every other game in my collection.

And I find that playing a scenario that I know in and out with new people makes it interesting again.

Yup.  I play this with my 11- and 6-year old.  My son "helped" me in my play with my daughter the first time and when I told him that the next time he'd probably be able to run his own character, he couldn't wait and has played with us ever since.  He's able to read the little that isn't narrated and has a great memory, so when I tell him, "Focused lets you discard the card to flip all of your mag glasses to stars," he remembers it and that's that.  Great, great game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×