Sign in to follow this  
DelGriffen

Finding 800 points to be quite restrictive

And since it is that restrictive the upgrade cards are not as valuable in this game. I am seriously considering just buying two core sets and forgoing the expansions. 

I’m open to alternative viewpoints, but even with Veers instead of Vader it won’t open much room for upgrades. 

I played around quite a bit on the tabletop admiral site and was able to come up with quite a few lays I was happy with.  Rebels can put together a list with Leia, 4 corps units fully upgraded, 2 at-rts with upgrades and a t-47 with wedge and upgrades at 800 pts.  It gets a little harder with imperials, you may have to drop a corps unit or accept that you can't throw everything onto your at-st.

I feel like most armies competitive armies will have one large unit (Vader, ATST, etc). Sinking half the points in your army between two models probably won’t be too effective vs swarms.

I also think they’ll upgrade it to 1000 points once more expansions are released.

I kind of like it how it is, forces you to make choices/compromises in your army composition. Instead of taking one of everything and upgrading every unit fully. You have to leave some things out, and build a certain way. I don't want this to turn into 40k where it gets to like 2000 points and it gets overwhelming.

Standard game size should stay 800, but they could release another larger scale version later if they get around to doing AT-STs or something.

I only play casual and will eventually play at 1000 points.  800 just isn’t enough. Armada has the same problem.   My armada group plays at 500 points which is a 100 more than a standard game.  It feels more like a fleet at 500 points and I think Legion will feel right at 1000 points.

I agree rebels definitely have it easier and 1000 would be a good place. I also agree that you should have to make choices, but we also don’t have anything for one entire org slot yet. I want enough to take one commander, three troops, 1 speacial, 1 support, 1 heavy and 1 decrecinary. If you want the upgrades then you have to make choices. Rebels can pretty much do that now. Empire has it a little tougher. Either way I don’t think there are too many must have upgrades

Not being able to fit everything in you want is kind of part of the point of having a points cap on army building.  The other part being, having a game balanced for a particular points cost helps decide the points value of later units and upgrades. 

Armada caps at 400 which forces people to choose an archetype (Carriers and fighters, few large ships, multiple small ships). Same for Legion. Want to field two AT-STs? Go ahead, but you'll be skimping somewhere to find the points. With Veers I can make (probably, would need playtesting) a decent list with 4 Stormtrooper units, with DLT-19s in 3 of them, and a similar sized Rebel list with 2 T-47s. We may get cheaper Heavy options such as E-Web blasters, or AT-DPs, which will further change how lists look, much like Veers and Leia will once people have an option for a cheaper Commander.  

Yes, Armada increased the points value when the large ships came out, but arguable Legion is releasing with their "Large" vehicles. I doubt we'll see an AT-AT outside of maybe "Epic" play, in which case the AT-ST and T-47 is likely among the most expensive units we will likely see.  Also, there are significantly more options on army build than there were fleet builds with Armada's initial release. 

To be fair, Skirmish games do typically have a lower cost of entry, and lower cost of maintenance than full sized wargames, and are cheaper for a company newish to the space to produce initially. 

With Legion, all so far revealed Corps units are capped at 6 figures, therefore barring any future changes to Corps sizes, players will have at most 36 Corps models on the board. To me, that seems like a kind of middle ground between Skirmish and large battle.

And for casual games, it's not like you have to follow any part of the Force Org chart (as long as you and your opponent agree. For organized play, having smaller sizes means quicker play times, and no trouble finishing games in the alloted time for each round.

The army archetype of Vader, 3 Troops and an AT-ST does put some pressure on the 800 points limit to move up, at 24 models it does feel quite restricted. However, I feel this is largely because you are loading up 50% of your points in 2 units. You could just as easily take Darth Vader, 4 Stormtroopers and 2 Bikes, for 800 points (Example List).

Over time we'll add Veers and other units to the mix that may make 800 points just the right amount. Which may explain why Imperials are getting the first round of expansions, as they have the most restrictive choices out of the box.