Sign in to follow this  
beefcake4000

Big Game Hunting - Favourite way to take down an ISD?

It's an interesting quesiton, lots of times you will look at your fleet and look at there's and realistically decide that the ISD isn't worth the effort this game, but when you are looking to take one down what's your favourite way to do it? 

Here's some options, pick one or add your own! 

1) Use a pair of big ships - What's better than a single ISD... 

2) Use a big ship and a medium ship - ISD and Demo Trumps ISD anyday... 

3) Use a big ship and a pile of squadrons, Sloan maybe? Rhymer ball? Pile of Y-wings? 

4) Use a medium ship combo with squads - Reikan Ace Holes being the obvious choice. 

5) Use medium ship killers only - Pair of gladiators? Pair of MC30s? 

6) Use a pair of mediums and a horde of squadrons? 

7) Piles of little ships? Corvette horde maybe? 

I think for me tackling an ISD or equivalent starts with bringing your own big guy and then backing it with a second hitter of some description to straight up overpower the opposition. If I was only running medium or small base ships I reckon it would just got straight into the too hard basket because the risk/reward ratio of trying to use attrition damage isn't worth it. Too many times I've lost a small ship or two only to watch the ISD survive on a card... or even worse, Motti points. 

So what's your best way to do it? 

A single, meaner ISD (ideally with first player.) Formerly a BTA ISD1, but a Kuat with ECM, ER, HMDV, and LS is looking like my current favorite. It seems more generally useful. I mean, sure hitting with other stuff is good, but just getting the drop on them is often enough.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

I usually go with a MEDIUM ship, bunch of flotillas and a swarm of Y-Wings and Norra. Then for an added punch, in case the beast still didn't get enough, I smack it down with an MC30. 

I get your point about small ships, but MC30s or Demos are generally able to punch a whole lot above their weight and may severely cripple a large ship - and bombers are able to render defense tokens obsolete (bracing against two damage a couple of times or redirecting one damage four times just doesn't feel worth it). 

But then again, you could also just go for a Sato powered Ordnance Cruiser these days :b 

11 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

A single, meaner ISD (ideally with first player.) Formerly a BTA ISD1, but a Kuat with ECM, ER, HMDV, and LS is looking like my current favorite. It seems more generally useful. I mean, sure hitting with other stuff is good, but just getting the drop on them is often enough.

Ok,  I'm lost,  what is HMDV?