Sign in to follow this  
IronOx

Zip ties

I’ve enjoyed reading various “make tie fighters great again” threads. I’m not a tournament player by any means and still learning, but I had a couple of ideas for Sienar’s various flavors of T.I.E. This is all theoretical, so feel free to ignore or chime in. My goal was to make ties a bit more mobile to keep up with newer ships. Sorry that I haven’t figured out how to make the cards look like they do in the game.

Over-charged ion engines. Modification 2 pts. Tie fighters only. if this ship did not fire primary weapons it may perform a free boost action. Roll an attack die. On a critical result you must use the 2 templates for this boost. 

Wordy I know. An extra imperial luxury ration card to the person who can say it better. The idea is that there is a risk to tinkering with the power output on an ion engine. You may boost into a rock while chasing an opponent.

The other idea is a new maneuver that debuts as a modification. Sliding “K” turn. It’s sort of half way between a talon roll and a sengar’s loop. Set the dial to the a K turn with the number clearly against the left or right side of the indicator. Use the 3 bank template. Set the template between the front guides, then turn the ship around and set the front corner against the other end of the 3 bank template. If your pilot skill is 5 or higher then you may treat this as a white maneuver. If you execute a white Sliding K Turn then you may perform a barrel roll action and take a stress.

Advanced thruster components. Modification. 2 pts. Small ship only. You may add the Sliding K Turn to this ship’s dial.

External Booster. Modification. 2 pts. Small ship only. Set this ship‘s dial to a K turn following the Sliding K Turn rule. Then discard this card to perform the maneuver.

Squadron Technician. Crew. 5 pts. Imperial only. Select a free modification. Friendly ships range 1-3 may use the modification. All limits apply. 

Loopholes and vague text may mean some of these won’t work. Any constructive critism or rewrites are welcome. Really I’m just looking for ways to make tie fighter sounds more often to accompany the “pew, pew, pew”s while playing x-wing.

"Zip Ties" ... Thought was a physical mod as I use actual zip ties to mod ships.

"boosters" & "thrusters" .... Love the intention to make TIEs more mobile....but I think since TIEs use Ion technology they don't actually "boost" nor "thrust".   Not a scientist, I just think these abilities can be re-worded to reflect tech standards.

Makes sense. I know there is a real “ion engine” in laboratories somewhere. I read an article years ago. I just don’t remember much about how it works. 

Also, well done on the use of zip ties. The are one of those items the continued existence of the universe depends on. 

2 hours ago, IronOx said:

The other idea is a new maneuver that debuts as a modification. Sliding “K” turn. It’s sort of half way between a talon roll and a sengar’s loop. Set the dial to the a K turn with the number clearly against the left or right side of the indicator. Use the 3 bank template. Set the template between the front guides, then turn the ship around and set the front corner against the other end of the 3 bank template. If your pilot skill is 5 or higher then you may treat this as a white maneuver. If you execute a white Sliding K Turn then you may perform a barrel roll action and take a stress.

Do I get this right that the intent here is to end up in a position similar to a Talon Roll but with different facing? Because otherwise what I see described is mainly a white Segnors Loop, or am I missing something? 

Anyway, I really like a lot of the ideas. The "Sliding" K-Turn could forgo the shenannigans with the dial, though, I believe. The card could very well just instruct you to pick a 3 bank template and perform the maneuvre as above. 

The one I would really like to try out is the Crew option you thought up. The idea that some Commanders have Mechanics fit TiE/lns according to the mission ahead is one I really dig from a fluff perspective. It allows for a lot of flexibility and its expensive enough to not make it an auto include. That one does need a wording overhaul, though- otherwise, taking a "free" (= 0 pts) mod doesn't give you anything. "For no additional cost" would probably cut it-.

I'd make the point that it doesn't even need to be free, maybe the Crew for 2/3 pts plus the cost of the mod- would still make it both interesting and expensive and allows for more customization in the rest of the list should you take a cheaper one.

Edited by DampfGecko

46 minutes ago, DampfGecko said:

Do I get this right that the intent here is to end up in a position similar to a Talon Roll but with different facing? Because otherwise what I see described is mainly a white Segnors Loop, or am I missing something? 

The idea is sort of a lazy talon roll. The ship ends up with about a 135°-150° direction change. High skill pilots (named ties) can do it with out stressing. Then even barrel roll with the inertia.

Tie’s are supposed to be “nimble” but any ship that can PTL into repositioning seems much more maneuverable. I’m just adding my thoughts to the common idea of keeping ties playable. The crew idea is to give them means to “zip” around without making them to expensive. I understand they are a basic ship in the game. Maybe I should just keep practicing flying them in tight formation through the asteroids. 

The last one, “external booster”, was inspired by Poe’s trick when he was attacking the dreadnought in the beginning of TLJ.

Edited by IronOx