GM Hooly

The Dice Pool Podcast - SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Are there rules in Genesys that fall into the bucket of “If we could do Star Wars over again, this is how we should have done it”?

For example; Talent pyramid vs Career Specs, Force Power trees vs. Genesys magic, etc.

Or was it more the natural adaptation of setting specific vs generic?

Can Sam comment on what their overall commitment to a particular setting might be?  Should we expect just a single setting book or will we see an array of products for a particular setting?  Modules and bestiaries are the first two biggie supplements that leap to mind.

5 hours ago, DarthGM said:

Where did "Sovereigns of Steam" come from?

How did the idea for tones come about?

What's your preference, generally; using/creating a complete homebrew  setting or adapting and playing in an existing IP universe?

"And now that you have the Fallout IP for the boardgame... can I interest you in a setting I wrote..." :D

I'm actually keen to hear his answer on the IP thing, because basically he's broken me and I imagine you too, GM Phil. "Oh, I could do a Deus Ex Genesys Game. An Altered Carbon Genesys Game. A Witcher Genesys Game. A First Law Trillgy Genesys Game (say one thing about Logen Ninefingers, say it's that he's not a d20 character)..."

Everything is about Genesys now. I feel like we're owed special robes for joining Genesys Dawn, the new cult. We'd look like Hubologists from Fallout 2, I imagine:

latest?cb=20140304122312

Just a reminder regarding questions for Sam Stewart about the GeneSys Role Playing Game. We are looking for rules related questions too. Clarifications you might need; errors you’ve found. Send anything and everything that you really need to know!

Edited by GM Hooly

On 2/11/2018 at 3:56 PM, Endersai said:

Personally I am a fan of the way in which Genesys has turned magic-in-RPGs on its head, doing away with decades-old dogma around prescribed spell names, spell lots, and tomes to learn them. It is a challenge for players to undo their thinking and familiarity with a list-based format, and the forums are full of examples of people trying to reinsert the old order to Genesys rules. Magic is probably a whole show in and of itself, for you guys.

This concept is not new. It is done in Mage: The Ascension.

When working on Genesys, what rules or mechanics from Star Wars Roleplaying did you personally (or from other members of your team) look at and hope to address or fix? In a similar vein, what problems from the fans have you heard that you wanted to address?

I want to play Transformers with Genesys (or Horizon: Mechamorphosis*). How you you address the transformation mechanic?

*Horizon: Mechamorphosis was a Fantasy Flight Games product.

I want to play Gundam (or another giant mecha setting). Although not all players would be pilots, let's be honest, you could probably assume at least half a table will be. How would you approach differentiating multiple pilots? How would you address mecha skills to avoid every action being tied to Agility and Intellect? How do you think you would build a mecha?

7 hours ago, GroggyGolem said:

Questions:

Does the Curse spell interact differently with the dice pool than the normal method of removing dice?

Could you provide an example here? Just want to make sure we have the questioned asked correctly and in context.

1 hour ago, GM Hooly said:

Could you provide an example here? Just want to make sure we have the questioned asked correctly and in context.

If I had to guess: Curse increases difficulty by +1, then the character uses a talent to reduce difficulty. Would the Curse effect sustain despite the talent, or be removed?

But I could be wrong.

4 hours ago, GM Hooly said:

Sure. The normal rules for modifying a dice pool go in the order: add, upgrade, downgrade, remove. As remove is the last thing done to a dice pool, if said die is not in the pool, nothing would get removed.

Curse, however, says "...the target decreases the ability of any skill checks they make by one (in effect, this means they remove one [green ability die] from their checks)."

I'd usually just say it works in the same order as normally removing dice from a dice pool. However, the part that makes me question if it is different is the part "decreases the ability" and then followed up by the text in the parenthesis.

To me it sounds like it might supercede the normal rules for removing dice and directly lower the character's ability dice before the normal modification steps.

Part of me doubts that assumption of mine, due to the fact that in all cases it seems the normal rules apply, even with adding the lightning effect to your magic attacks (still have to add difficulty to attempt using auto-fire).