Quelthan

The Iron Blockade

The first three seasons, the Kido Rebellion Trilogy, of Dice for Brains had the Uprising as the backdrop, and our heroes worked with the Trade Spine League at times while fighting the Imperials. At one point that gave me the idea to make a few high-level characters for the era, although they didn't have anything Uprising-specific, seeing as how there wasn't anything Uprising-specific to use.

Basically, this could be really awesome, and I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Honestly the story of Uprising and the Anoat Sector is really interesting (kind of obvious, given the interest in this topic), and it's kind of a shame it was caught up in a mobile game that, while fun, apparently didn't have much staying power. Hopefully we get something else that's canon for the sector/era somewhere down the line.

Honestly I still think the Iron Blockade was absurd. Effectively blockading an entire sector would take an insane number of ships, far more then even the most generous estimates I've seen of an Imperial sector fleet even if by some miracle there are no ships down for repairs. And if it is somehow managed for some time the blockade will start unraveling the instant ships start needing maintenance that can't be handled in the field. Plus the fleet will be spread so thin that any decent strength hostile force will be able to defeat a squadron leaving a hole in the line. And once that happens the blockade fleet either has to concentrate to meet the enemy, thus abandoning the blockade, or get hit unit by unit which would also punch more holes in the blockade

2 hours ago, RogueCorona said:

Honestly I still think the Iron Blockade was absurd. Effectively blockading an entire sector would take an insane number of ships, far more then even the most generous estimates I've seen of an Imperial sector fleet even if by some miracle there are no ships down for repairs. And if it is somehow managed for some time the blockade will start unraveling the instant ships start needing maintenance that can't be handled in the field. Plus the fleet will be spread so thin that any decent strength hostile force will be able to defeat a squadron leaving a hole in the line. And once that happens the blockade fleet either has to concentrate to meet the enemy, thus abandoning the blockade, or get hit unit by unit which would also punch more holes in the blockade

Depends on the sector in question. Keep in mind, with the way Hyperspace works in Star Wars, you actually don't need to blockade every inch of space. Just the main hyperspace routes into and out of the sector. It's why three or four Star Destroyers in orbit over a single part of Hoth, or a single Lucrehulk over Naboo were able to effectively blockade the planets. Just looking in the CRB's galaxy map, it appears there's only 7 spots that would need to be blockaded to prevent any travel into or out of the Anoat Sector (seeing as the sector is relatively small). Say, two Star Destroyers at each of the seven waypoints around the sector should be more than enough. 

The best way to picture Star Wars space travel is to think of it like a road map. Almost all travel is done along the main lanes (main hyperspace lanes in Star Wars, or highways in the real world). Sure, there are a ton of small back roads that you can drive down, and you can even get from small town to small town by driving exclusively down such small back country roads. But if you're wanting to get to, say, Seattle from Hollywood, you're basically going to be forced to use the highway at some point. So if the government wanted to stop all travel between those two cities for some crazy reason, they wouldn't need to block every single back road. Just the main highways between the two cities. Same exact deal in Star Wars. If you're wanting to go from planet to planet within the same sector, there are a ton of little back routes that you could take. However, going from sector to sector, you're pretty much forced to take one of the main hyperspace lanes, such as the Perlemian Trade Route, or the Corellian Trade Spine. 

On 2/13/2018 at 6:39 PM, DurosSpacer said:

Oh, I'm currently running a Play-by-Post based on Uprising.  The one good factor is that it was based on a computer game that never got released, so the players wouldn't know all of the info on it.  Still, info was scarce on some of the planets in the Anoat Sector.  I changed around the main theme since I thought the idea of preventing news of the Emperor's death from getting out was a stupid one.  Instead, the blockade is going into effect after Hoth.  Some Rebels fled from Echo Base into the local system and the Empire tends to believe that even more are within the sector.  Hence, the Iron Blockade.   I'll be greatly interested to see how it turns out! 

I was a writer and narrative director for this game. It was released in in September 2015. Unfortunately, due to business-related issues, it was taken offline in November 2016. What was published is canon, which included the initial game plus the Force update. There was an "Act 2" that was fully written, approved by Lucas, and designed but never published. I wasn't allowed to keep the script or any of the reference documents when I left, but I may be able to remember some details if there are any questions. Here are a couple of images from our team's art book with my little blurbs with the world descriptions.

Best,
Lori

SWArtBook01.jpg

SWArtBook02.jpg

On 2/9/2018 at 6:28 AM, Quelthan said:

Generating interest in a fan sourcebook I am currently writing. The book is about a quarter finished now, which is why I am planning on a late Q2 2018 release.

I'm one of the lucky few to own The Art of Star Wars: Uprising outside the design team, by way of having worked on Wookieepedia's Uprising project, if you want info from that.

Edited by A7T

Consider me very interested in source book. Ever since playing Uprising when it initially came out, I found it a gold mine for and Edge of the Empire style game where the player party would grow to become the Uprising. 

On 5/4/2018 at 2:08 PM, lhyrup said:

I was a writer and narrative director for this game. It was released in in September 2015. Unfortunately, due to business-related issues, it was taken offline in November 2016. What was published is canon, which included the initial game plus the Force update. There was an "Act 2" that was fully written, approved by Lucas, and designed but never published. I wasn't allowed to keep the script or any of the reference documents when I left, but I may be able to remember some details if there are any questions. Here are a couple of images from our team's art book with my little blurbs with the world descriptions.

Best,
Lori

Thanks for working on the game. It really was a lot of fun to play, and I was enjoying collecting and upgrading all of the outfits. I was sad when they turned off the servers. It came during a time when there weren't a lot of fun Star Wars games available on a mobile device.

On 5/4/2018 at 7:08 PM, lhyrup said:

Best,
Lori

SWArtBook01.jpg

SWArtBook02.jpg

Hey Lhyrup, I have a number of questions I was hoping you could help me resolve, largely to do with the timings of events. If there is no solid answer I would still be interested to hear how things went in your head as you are the person with the strongest understanding literally in the world.

How long did the Iron Blockade go on for? How long had it been going on for at the end of part 1?

How long was The Smuggler working for "Happy" Dapp?

Was travel impeded by the blockade at all between systems in the Anoat sector or only in and out of the sector?

How far down the Imperial ranks did knowledge of the Death Stars destruction extend before the end of part 1? I take it your average stormtrooper was not aware of what was happening.

Thanks for your time and your work has been greatly appreciated!

Glad to see people are interested in this. Sorry that there have been no updates from me, nor have I answered people who contacted me directly. I have been dealing with a very serious car wreck and a death in the family. Things are going much better and I will be contacting everyone who has emailed me. The replies should be out in the next day or two. The project will be moving forward, and it looks from the emails like some of you are interested in assisting which is great. Look forward to getting this back on track. Thanks for the support of the project.

On 5/28/2018 at 6:58 AM, LastFreeMan said:

How long did the Iron Blockade go on for? How long had it been going on for at the end of part 1?

How long was The Smuggler working for "Happy" Dapp?

Was travel impeded by the blockade at all between systems in the Anoat sector or only in and out of the sector?

How far down the Imperial ranks did knowledge of the Death Stars destruction extend before the end of part 1? I take it your average stormtrooper was not aware of what was happening.

Thanks for your time and your work has been greatly appreciated!

1. The Iron Blockade lasted for many months, but it's hard to pin down exactly because of the "persistent world" nature of MMOs. We had an ACT 2 written and designed for the game (and I no longer have access to the script to reference). In it, the Blockade was still intact, but the uprising had obtained access to one of the star destroyers (it was to become the new base).

2. That period of time is fluid against because of the nature of MMOs. If it was an actual movie script, I'd imagine that would have been probably 6 months at the very least, possibly longer. In these games, we hand tend to hand wave how long it takes to travel, waiting for contacts, get supplies, rest, recover from wounds, etc.

3. Travel was only impeded in and out of the sector. People could travel between systems. A lot of the crew missions went to other systems in the sector that you never visibly saw.

4. Knowledge of the emperor's death did not travel very far down the ranks, at all. Only Governor Adelhard and some of his top people, like Commander Bragh, knew the truth, and they worked together to keep it that way. They all had a lot to lose if information got out.