Sign in to follow this  
Sybreed

Nav officers with Arquittens?

Has anyone tried using Nav Officers with Arquittens?

I tried a Vader fleet yesterday and used for the first time Slaved Turrets on 2 Kittens. Turns out the one attack max came back to bite me in the *** on 2 occasions before the Kittens ultimately died to a 2 MC75 2 MC30 fleet (Raddus has a gigantic threat range.... no way to see these honestly...)

Anyway, the goal was to spam CF commands all the time and switch to nav commands if I really feel I need to nav. It would remove the need to use slave turrets and I would be able to attack from 2 arcs at the same time.

Anyone tried this?

I haven't tried Nav Officers with Arquitens but I can speak well of using Skilled First Officers with them for when you realize you desperately need to change your heading NOW, which usually happens about once a game (and is cheaper and more flexible).

If you are really worried and want flexibility, bring a Defense Liaison. Bank an engineering token turn 1, a Nav turn 2, and then spam CF. More expensive but more flexible than Skilled First Officer

Edited by Church14

My experiences with Arc's are

- Use one.  if you have more enough of your fleet is now worth disrupting. A single gets left alone and can do damage.

- Needa with TRC is about the only upgrades you should consider. 

-The Hand of Justice is worth it if you build for it. 

45 minutes ago, Snipafist said:

I haven't tried Nav Officers with Arquitens but I can speak well of using Skilled First Officers with them for when you realize you desperately need to change your heading NOW, which usually happens about once a game (and is cheaper and more flexible).

This is my go to as well.

I tried arq's with nav teams..... I worked VERY hard to make it work.

As a matter of fact, I worked very hard to get any version of Arquitens to work. However, I wish I could get all that time I spent back. I love the ships aesthetically. However, I will firmly echo everyone else here. It simply doesn't work. They are too expensive to spam, and don't pump out enough consistent damage without becoming black holes for point upgrades.

At 54 points they START 3 higher than a TRC vette which already has redundant evades and an incomparably better nav chart. When you add Needa, TRC, Nav Teams, etc etc etc etc they just bloat and bloat, choking other options out of the list for very little upside in terms of damage output or survivability.

If you want to take an Arquitens, you either acknowledge they are sub-optimal and do it all the same (which I whole-heartedly encourage, but isn't going to win you a tournament) or you take 1 with Needa and TRC and realize you are paying 12 extra points for a less maneuverable TRC vette.

I play 2 Arqs in most of my Imperial Fleets.  Love em.

SFO - for flexibility

QBTs or Slaved Turrets - depending on the rest of the fleet.

AND either Vader as the Admiral or IF! in the fleet.  Sometimes both.  In that case I have no trouble getting my value for them.

1 hour ago, shmitty said:

And so I can fantasize about how good they would be in an Ackbar fleet.

Arqs would be pretty legit with Ackbar, no doubt.

I don't dislike Arqs but I have a very hard time including them in fleets. You need a commander that fixes their nav chart issues (Jerry) or one that fixes the unreliability of red dice (Vader) to really get them going, and even then they're pricey compared to CR90As for slightly better damage output (the Arquitens side arc is superior to the CR90A front arc, but if the CR90A is double-arcing, all bets are off). Every now and then I've considered trying to really get offensive mileage out of Arqs by trying to Ackbar Slash with them, but the nav chart is a huge disincentive to this kind of usage.

I kind of wonder if an earlier playtest Arq had a weapon team slot, which was then dropped for some reason but they forgot to reduce its points cost to compensate. If I could slap a Gunnery Team on there, I'd be including them more often.

I think if Arqs had a single blue die in the front and side in addition to what they have, it would be a superior ship (obviously). If we look at the CR90A, it has a single blue die added to its arcs, which gives it a little more power at medium. Right now, there is nothing to discourage a player from moving into medium of an Arq because there is no additional threat. Moving into medium of a CR90 can expose you to a double arc and potentially 6 dice with TRC, which is a staggering amount of dice for 51 points. This change would also give a reason for Arqs to try and double arc much like a CR90 wants to. Double arc for 4 red dice is not very exciting, but 6 dice is. Taking just SA with an Arq would yield 4 dice on the side and 4 dice in the front, and now you have something worth spamming but also has a blatant disadvantage, which is the nav chart.

Maybe they'll see more light with Thrawn?  Allow a consistent set of NAV commands and CF to flow in?

I also do wonder if Intensify Firepower helps them out significantly?  Guaranteed damage with either DTT or EA to bring up the potential. Still might be swingy though. 

What are you all talking about? Arquitens work perfectly in numbers. I have run 3 of them with Moff JJ successfuly and 4 or 5 of them with Vader are perfectly viable. I dont know what you guys were doing with that ship but its great.