Boom Owl

Is Soontir Alive?

For me is is still half dead, but just barrel. I think that Inquisitor, QD and Ryad are in better positions than Soontir right now. But he is still ok to fly right now imho, just not top tier. Stress hurts him to much and if you get just 1 focus you will have trouble to evade all 4 TLT shots of a Ghost, etc 

3 minutes ago, SEApocalypse said:

you will have trouble to evade all 4 TLT shots of a Ghost, etc 

This is how ridiculous this game has gotten. We casually accept that taking 4 TLT shots from a single ship per round is normal. If you'd have told me this in Wave 3 I'd have told you that you're crazy.

Just now, Favoritism Flight Games said:

This is how ridiculous this game has gotten. We casually accept that taking 4 TLT shots from a single ship per round is normal. If you'd have told me this in Wave 3 I'd have told you that you're crazy.

you probably would have said, "What's a TLT?"

I did win a game against Blackout/ps7 gunboat, academy pilot, where VI Turr Phennir was the mvp. I'm sure Soontir can have a place, but you have to be really good with him, and  it's still a gamble. 

I'm generally supportive of people playing what they like, so i'd try it if I were you.

Just now, Awing Test Pilot said:

you probably would have said, "What's a TLT?"

And then, once explained, I'd be like: ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDING ME? TWO, THREE DICE ATTACKS AT RANGE 2-3, WT ACTUAL F.???!!! AND THAT SHIP CAN DO IT TWICE A ROUND FOR 12 TOTAL DICE THROWN FOR 4 NEARLY GUARANTEED DAMAGE, OMG WTFBBQ. /WOOKIERAGE

Removing bombs does not really bring him back for me for one simple reason. He still fires a wet noodle at the enemy for 35pts. 

He just does not do enough damage to make up for his cost, he was dead for me long before bombs were here in force (and for most people... did not see him much on the table). I was never that impressed with him before he went away either, he dies to good flying by your opponent, one block and he is dead that was the case then and is the case now. 

The only way to justify him on the board is a targeting computer soontir, but then you loose the stealth device. His token stack means a lot less when their are less dice to modify. But at least targeting computer soontir lets you do some damage.

Lowhriick is also ~35 points and hits like a wet noodle—3 dice with one mod max. Seems like a direct parallel to Soontir. Both are highly defensive, but have less offense. Obviously there are a couple of differences—Soontir can be a bit trickier to pin down—but I don’t know that his lack of offense is THAT big a deal. 

He can still do a lot. Forget the 35 point stealth device version though. 3 dice with a single modifier won't cut it anymore. He needs targeting computer. With it,he can TL, focus and either evade or reposition in a single round. He's even squishier than he used to, so you need to fly well and get the most out of him while he's still alive.

Just now, Ailowynn said:

Lowhriick is also ~35 points and hits like a wet noodle—3 dice with one mod max. Seems like a direct parallel to Soontir. Both are highly defensive, but have less offense. Obviously there are a couple of differences—Soontir can be a bit trickier to pin down—but I don’t know that his lack of offense is THAT big a deal. 

Probably same reason i dont really like or respect Lowhriick. However Lowhriick's mods are not generally locked into defense and he can eat a turn of damage when things go wrong (bump or what not). Not to mention he brings an ability that can transfer his defensive mods onto other ships. Very very different ships. How you can even compare the two other then they cost the same is frankly mind boggling. 

Bombs, Autocorrect autoblaster, sabine, Fenn, TLT, PS10+, fully modded harpoons, yeah... he should probably be dead... and somehow I still like to fly him in ways that make other people call social services on our good friend Fel.  He's not "top ridiculous tier" right now, but probably will always have a spot at the table due to people flying him well (which is very difficult)

My current list which is moderately successful:

Fel/TC/AT/Title/PTL
Kylo/AT/PTL/Title/Advanced Sensors/Primed Thrusters
Dark Curse

96 points of seat of your pants flying.  Works sometimes, doesn't work other times.  The trick is all in how you fly Fel... I'm not sure if I'm taking this list to a regional yet or not.  At the moment Fenn boosting a 5 die arc at PS11 is pretty treacherous and a small based ship doing the blocking isn't helping a ton to line up shots for the big guys.  But you sure as **** can't hit them if I don't want you to!

Edited by jonnyd

2 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

The real irony of Soontir is that he's not played at the moment because his PS is too low.   All that repositioning isn't worth diddly when a good half of the meta moves after you.  PS9... too low... what an age we live in!

Really? I never felt that was a problem simply because stuff that needs PS to get him in arc usually doesnt do damage to him anyway...and he is so stupidly mobile you can pretty reliable keep PS11 things in arc. 

Edited by Boom Owl

I play him a few times a week at my home with my friends. I try different combinations of upgrades. Some work better than others. Sometimes I win, and other times I lose. But I always have fun when playing him. This practice works for every ship in my collection. So, I think that he, and every other ship, is very much alive. From a certain point of view.